Major Developments

Florida

^SPC you're right, it's TJ/FL's right to make his information public where ever he wants to; however that change has effected us all and I believe it could have been handled a little better. Not to go into too much history, but TJ/FL has had problems w/ the head moderators of this board almost since it began. He was a moderator long ago, but then demoted back to an editor if I recall correctly.

As far as the Jax boards, I was around at that time too and TJ/FL's defection was nothing like that. He's definitely a better person. The two main contributors to the Jax boards were banned and from good reason. They were pretty aggressive and nasty posters if you didn't agree w/them. However I do miss reading about happenings in our big sister city. That's why I'm against the Tally move in principle, it just isolates us. I don't want to have to check 15 different message boards for 15 different cities. I liked it better when it was all together. Maybe I'm just lazy. :)

SPC, be careful posting the full name of the new board, that could get you into some trouble around here. I not sure what the rules are about that, but I definitely don't want you getting in trouble.

Thanks to everyone that has posted their opinions and thoughts about this situation. I was feeling pretty isolated about it this weekend. I appreciate everyone that has commented on it so far b/c I view most of you as friends even if I only interact w/you here and would definitely miss our conversations and discussions.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^SPC you're right, it's TJ/FL's right to make his information public where ever he wants to; however that change has effected us all and I believe it could have been handled a little better. Not to go into too much history, but TJ/FL has had problems w/ the head moderators of this board almost since it began. He was a moderator long ago, but then demoted back to an editor if I recall correctly.

As far as the Jax boards, I was around at that time too and TJ/FL's defection was nothing like that. He's definitely a better person. The two main contributors to the Jax boards were banned and from good reason. They were pretty aggressive and nasty posters if you didn't agree w/them. However I do miss reading about happenings in our big sister city. That's why I'm against the Tally move in principle, it just isolates us. I don't want to have to check 15 different message boards for 15 different cities. I liked it better when it was all together. Maybe I'm just lazy. :)

SPC, be careful posting the full name of the new board, that could get you into some trouble around here. I not sure what the rules are about that, but I definitely don't want you getting in trouble.

Thanks to everyone that has posted their opinions and thoughts about this situation. I was feeling pretty isolated about it this weekend. I appreciate everyone that has commented on it so far b/c I view most of you as friends even if I only interact w/you here and would definitely miss our conversations and discussions.

I'd like to make it clear to all: My desire to create a site dedicated solely to Tallahassee Development, stems from the realization that I could no longer organize content on this forum. My decision to leave was based on the fact that starting/managing a new site would require undivided attention, much the same way creating this forum did back in 2005. I hold no ill will against anyone at UP. The site Administrators do what is in the best interest of UrbanPlanet, and I've done what I feel is in the best interest of Tallahassee: as far as sharing information on growth and development is concerened.

I have no desire to compete with this site in any way. If you'd like to view the information on the new site you're more than welcome, if not that's fine too! Having moderator as a title was never important to me, having the ability to manage the content of this site was. There was only so much I could do as an Editor: (I could no longer merge duplicated threads, delete spam, pin items to the top of the page, remove pinned items, move revelant items to the Coffee House and so forth). Any changes made to our Forum since my 'demotion' was done at the my request to Neo, site Admin. He was always kind in his responses, however, our needs were far greater than what I felt an outsider would be willing to do for us so I asked to have the Moderator abilities to make the necessary adjustments to our forum. Reading in another thread was the first time I heard of any attempt to consider it. My mission was to maintain a neat forum, not authority, if that was the case I would have left 2 years ago. I regret disappointing any of you but I did feel the need to share my side of the story.

Thanks,

TJ :)

Edited to correct word use: Manage ---> Organize

I don't wish to argue GG, -- What's done is done. Might I ask why you requested to be a Moderator of my new site in your e-mail to me last week -- since you want to make such a scream about wearing a title?

I need not care who is -- in charge. I produced a good chunk of the content of this forum in hopes that someone would be able to find it to learn more about Tallahassee and how we're growing. As the forum has grown, and more topics have been added to this site, many of our core projects have become lost in the weeds of our other non-development conversations: which is why I created the Downtown Index. However, there is still too much clutter, and with no one to clean it up I don't think it'll get any better.

Its as if forcing someone to live in a dirty house they aren't allowed to clean. I've decided to move out -- to a house that will be kept tidy. I need not apologize for making use of another resource to inform people who want to learn about Tallahassee. Now she has two sites! Let's celebrate the fact that we're spreading the word about our city in more ways!

I for one am disappointed. I like the new site but I believe that the greatest strength to Tallahassee was it's link to the whole urban planet community. Essentially a one-stop shopping center. I don't have much of a desire to flip thru a couple of websites to learn about Tally projects and development. That's just me and maybe that is lazy, but from my experience people want convenience. Isolating Tally to one website will essentially phase out those people who post from other urban planet threads and check out tally every once in a while. We will be left with a "clique" of posters on the new website and that's not good for diversity of opinion, thoughts, new ideas, etc... Tally may fall off the radar.

I am sure the situation with moderating the board could have been resolved if patience were applied, but it seems that things were done in a rash and rushed manner.

I for one am disappointed. I like the new site but I believe that the greatest strength to Tallahassee was it's link to the whole urban planet community. Essentially a one-stop shopping center. I don't have much of a desire to flip thru a couple of websites to learn about Tally projects and development. That's just me and maybe that is lazy, but from my experience people want convenience. Isolating Tally to one website will essentially phase out those people who post from other urban planet threads and check out tally every once in a while. We will be left with a "clique" of posters on the new website and that's not good for diversity of opinion, thoughts, new ideas, etc... Tally may fall off the radar.

I am sure the situation with moderating the board could have been resolved if patience were applied, but it seems that things were done in a rash and rushed manner.

And Im not making a scream soley about wearing a title, Im questioning the reasons as to WHY you feel the need to wear the title. You have isolated your website, and Tallahassee even more, selfishly. You have isolated thousands of posters from one site (UP), who at least know the town exists. But I know I can't convince you of that, because you have already convinced yourself otherwise.

But you dont have to respond, being an inactive poster here and all. Good luck with the site.

Ah 5 days later and NOW we get the full story? For me, that's a day late and a dollar short!

So now we are being told that the new site is only a compliment site and not a competitor? I don't think that is how it was billed in the beginning. The first time I went there, it was a full on discussion board in appearance. Now a few days later that isn't the case? Besides I am not too interested in engaging in conversation or information w/people who find this site too difficult or are too lazy/ignorant to click on pictures to see them. Heck this site is so user friendly, my 85 year old mother could learn her way around in less than 30 minutes.

An information board w/no discussion certainly doesn't interest me. Problems w/something like that is that sometimes the poster's information can be incorrect and often times as I've seen here, folks have to bring the poster up to speed on cultural things etc. Besides who wants just one person's opinion on Tally?

So now that we've got the full story, I'm ready to move on w/UP Tally here and definitely will not be discussing this situation anymore and giving the new site anymore free publicity. I could have been such a big supporter of this new idea had it just been handled differently, more professionally and more maturely.

Enough of the drama, let's get on w/the regularly scheduled show!

GG or TD or anyone else, I was one of the ones that stated I liked how we moderated ourselves, but I'd definitely be for one of you guys being the housekeeper/editor. I'm just not a fan of over-zealous moderators that act like the Gestapo. I don't really think any of you are that way. So apply for whatever position you guys think is best for this board to continue and survive and I'll support you!

Ah 5 days later and NOW we get the full story? For me, that's a day late and a dollar short!

So now we are being told that the new site is only a compliment site and not a competitor? I don't think that is how it was billed in the beginning. The first time I went there, it was a full on discussion board in appearance. Now a few days later that isn't the case? Besides I am not too interested in engaging in conversation or information w/people who find this site too difficult or are too lazy/ignorant to click on pictures to see them. Heck this site is so user friendly, my 85 year old mother could learn her way around in less than 30 minutes.

An information board w/no discussion certainly doesn't interest me. Problems w/something like that is that sometimes the poster's information can be incorrect and often times as I've seen here, folks have to bring the poster up to speed on cultural things etc. Besides who wants just one person's opinion on Tally?

So now that we've got the full story, I'm ready to move on w/UP Tally here and definitely will not be discussing this situation anymore and giving the new site anymore free publicity. I could have been such a big supporter of this new idea had it just been handled differently, more professionally and more maturely.

Enough of the drama, let's get on w/the regularly scheduled show!

GG or TD or anyone else, I was one of the ones that stated I liked how we moderated ourselves, but I'd definitely be for one of you guys being the housekeeper/editor. I'm just not a fan of over-zealous moderators that act like the Gestapo. I don't really think any of you are that way. So apply for whatever position you guys think is best for this board to continue and survive and I'll support you!

I've been completely out of the loop on this new site and other related issues until the past 48 hours or so. I don't really have an opinion one way or the other- I think that FL was obviously a HUGE contributor to our forum, and notwithstanding his new endeavor, I hope that (after all of the dust settles and the water calms) he will still contribute to our discussions here on UP. Best of luck mi amigo.....

In any event, as for GG or TD stepping in to run the show- I will defer to whatever the UP Superdelegates decide ^_^ However, I will respectfully request that GG withdraw his name from contention in the event that he pastes the "waiving mistatement" pic during lunch again (that's 2 strikes buddy :P )....

Archived