Major Developments

Florida

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I know they have a criteria for being Green Hotels and just a certain amount of points I ASSume needs to be awarded to be designated Green. However I find it odd that all these hotels are certified Green in Florida when they don't have in-room recycling. I don't think I've ever stayed in a hotel in Florida that has provided this, but in many states I've visited like CA and MA, the in-room recycling container is provided from the cheapest to the most expensive hotels.

Has anyone stayed in a hotel in FL that provides this service?

^I know they have a criteria for being Green Hotels and just a certain amount of points I ASSume needs to be awarded to be designated Green. However I find it odd that all these hotels are certified Green in Florida when they don't have in-room recycling. I don't think I've ever stayed in a hotel in Florida that has provided this, but in many states I've visited like CA and MA, the in-room recycling container is provided from the cheapest to the most expensive hotels.

Has anyone stayed in a hotel in FL that provides this service?

^Very interesting. Maybe it's just a NorCal/SF thing or a Cape Cod/Boston thing? Did you stay in a hotel or apartment when you were in SoCal all that time and if so, did they provide recycling? In Washington State, did they provide recycling in the lobby? You make a great point about doing this especially in extended stay hotels. In the hotels I've stayed in w/this service, it's usually just an extra trash can they give you, usually blue in color, w/the recycling symbol on it. It seems a fairly easy service for them to provide.

Now they all tend to do the sheet/towel thing..you know "towel on the rack means I'll use it again, towel on the floor means new one." But this green measure also directly saves them money.

Question: How do you guys handle this?

I generally am a glutton and want a clean new towel everyday, so on the floor they go. However when it comes to the sheets, I'm happy w/an every 3 day change like most do.

UP - Tallahassee Exclusive

UP-Tallahassee...Always the first to bring you the pictures!

hhunomu2.jpg

hhln4.jpg

hh2wg0.jpg

hh4dj9.jpg

(All pictures copyright GG)

* This is to be considered new information. This information found on any other website should be considered second hand and outdated.

^Very interesting. Maybe it's just a NorCal/SF thing or a Cape Cod/Boston thing? Did you stay in a hotel or apartment when you were in SoCal all that time and if so, did they provide recycling? In Washington State, did they provide recycling in the lobby? You make a great point about doing this especially in extended stay hotels. In the hotels I've stayed in w/this service, it's usually just an extra trash can they give you, usually blue in color, w/the recycling symbol on it. It seems a fairly easy service for them to provide.

Now they all tend to do the sheet/towel thing..you know "towel on the rack means I'll use it again, towel on the floor means new one." But this green measure also directly saves them money.

Question: How do you guys handle this?

I generally am a glutton and want a clean new towel everyday, so on the floor they go. However when it comes to the sheets, I'm happy w/an every 3 day change like most do.

I hope they fixed the roof at HHGregg (formerly Publix). Whenever it rained, Publix had to put out buckets to catch drips (no, water...NOT stupid customers) just as the nearby Albertsons (now Kohls) did. At least Kohls tore the old building down and started from scratch. Both Publix and Albertsons tried to fix their roofs but whomever they hired never did a very good job. Hopefully the HHGregg folks got someone to plug up the leaks. Otherwise that nice, clean interior is going to get kinda wet evertime it rains.

I always appreciate those w/a sense of humor similar to mine. Good one B'boom! :lol:

Man GG those UP-Exclusive pix you gave us make that place look like it sparkles. So much so, it looks like you could eat off the floors!

'roo you've got to me to thinking about his whole subject. I will say that the hotel I stay in SF w/the recycling container is a boutique hotel. That may be the difference. However it is not a small hotel, I think they have about 200 rooms and it's part of a large chain of CA boutique hotels. They also had these containers at the cabin resort I stayed in Sonoma last year. They also have them in the guesthouse I've stayed in few times on Cape Cod, but the first place I actually saw them was in Boston in a Drury Inn which is a chain. Maybe there are some type of local ordinances that require this in Boston, Cape Cod and especially SF. I've been in a few other hotel rooms in SF and I've seen these same recycle containers in the rooms.

At the moment though I'm sitting in the Hilton in Boca Raton and there's no way to recycle anything. I always feel guilty throwing cans and plastic away.

As for the towel thing, I too don't use a new towel everyday at home, but at hotel for some reason I do and that for some hypocritical reason doesn't make me feel guilty.

Eh, on the towels, to each their own. I hang mine up out of habit, usually even on days I let housekeeping in to clean. I've found that most hotels will change the towels regardless of whether they're hanging or on the floor. They've got to reset the room, which they can't do if they leave your towels hanging and it's easier for them to get a folded one off the cart than to fold your dirty towel.

As the the remodel from the ratty Publix to HH Gregg, when you visit BB, I think you will be suitably impressed with the changes they've made. Like Poonther said, you would think the floor is clean enough to eat from, the place is huge, airey and very bright essentially everything the old Publix was not. As far as the roof goes, I'm sure they resurfaced it, but the building is old and it will eventually leak again. As a public service announcement to everyone, do me a favor and never purchase a home with a flat roof, you're only asking for misery. :stop:

I went into HHGregg today for the first time. It's hard to believe a Publix once occupied the space - it seemed smaller than when time warp Publix was there!

Nice store. I was disappointed in their computer/computer accessories section, but nice store nonetheless.

Eh, on the towels, to each their own. I hang mine up out of habit, usually even on days I let housekeeping in to clean. I've found that most hotels will change the towels regardless of whether they're hanging or on the floor. They've got to reset the room, which they can't do if they leave your towels hanging and it's easier for them to get a folded one off the cart than to fold your dirty towel.

As the the remodel from the ratty Publix to HH Gregg, when you visit BB, I think you will be suitably impressed with the changes they've made. Like Poonther said, you would think the floor is clean enough to eat from, the place is huge, airey and very bright essentially everything the old Publix was not. As far as the roof goes, I'm sure they resurfaced it, but the building is old and it will eventually leak again. As a public service announcement to everyone, do me a favor and never purchase a home with a flat roof, you're only asking for misery. :stop:

I don't know if anyone has officially heard what is moving into the old Proctor GM property, and I realize that we have been hearing Target then Home Depot, etc. However, in a monthly newsletter sent out by my HOA, it mentioned Target as one of the buildings being constructed on that site. It didn't mention anything more than that, but I know from the property website that there are plans for about 5 buildings to be constructed.

Well I check out the all that is AWSOME development that is Roly Poly and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the establishment looks to be about done and that there were people in side finishing it up! :-)

On the other hand I went by the "future" location that is Tujuna Flats and was disappointed to see an empty room with a rinky dinky 12"X12" sign above the door that Said Tujuna Flats. Come on TF were is the progress? Its not that hard just rent out the building sign the contract and get the kitchen equipment move in so I can get my FIX!!!!!!!!

I don't know if anyone has officially heard what is moving into the old Proctor GM property, and I realize that we have been hearing Target then Home Depot, etc. However, in a monthly newsletter sent out by my HOA, it mentioned Target as one of the buildings being constructed on that site. It didn't mention anything more than that, but I know from the property website that there are plans for about 5 buildings to be constructed.

On the other hand I went by the "future" location that is Tujuna Flats and was disappointed to see an empty room with a rinky dinky 12"X12" sign above the door that Said Tujuna Flats. Come on TF were is the progress? Its not that hard just rent out the building sign the contract and get the kitchen equipment move in so I can get my FIX!!!!!!!!

The property is pretty big. What everyone sees from the front does not even begin to show the amount of space there. The property goes as far deep as the distance of the Hummer location from Mahan. The front of the Hummer location is the other end of the "L" with the front of the GM location being the other end - if that makes sense.

^ So it sounds like maybe HD & Target could both end up at this site....cool! I wonder if they would try to buy out any of the other businesses or the church within the "L"? TD, at one time you mentioned something about that church on the corner relocating didn't you? I don't know if this would be a Super Target or a regular Target but I would place my bet on it being a Super Target for that area....that is if they actually build there.

^ So it sounds like maybe HD & Target could both end up at this site....cool! I wonder if they would try to buy out any of the other businesses or the church within the "L"? TD, at one time you mentioned something about that church on the corner relocating didn't you? I don't know if this would be a Super Target or a regular Target but I would place my bet on it being a Super Target for that area....that is if they actually build there.

Archived