John Marshall Hotel

tombarnes

Thanks, must not have been paying attention yesterday. It'll be interesting to see what they have in mind there...

My take on the signs would be; comparable to "presales". They must be looking to get commitments on the commercial "yet to be built". possibly so a design build could take place for the spaces. Or to be able to offer a combined space now, versus a divided space later.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, they'll be working on pre-leasing it through the construction phase with the expectation of having a fully-leased building upon completion. It makes much more sense to incorporate the tenant build-outs while construction is going on. I suspect we're about 2 months away from groundbreaking...

This is the... umm... how many annoucements are we on?

Sorry to be negative, but this is just an announcement... just like prior.

I will believe it when I start to see substantial renovations occuring.

Don't be a Doubting Thomas, Shak. This time, it's the real thing. :thumbsup::yahoo:

Actually, they were just tapped to start marketing the commercial space. This info is from their flyer released today. Like I said previously, I wouldn't be surprised if work picked up in a couple months. This project has had several failed starts, when it lacked a quality development team to carry through with it. With Dominion Realty Partners on board, I suspect we can be much more confident in the outcome this go around given their previous work in Richmond and elsewhere.

• 1 month later...

New window signage about the project:

IMG00083-1.jpg

sorry for the poor quality - rainy day, dirty windows, using my blackberry

Delivery mid-year 2010 sounds about right. Over 31,000 SF of retail space should be a boost to the surrounding area if they can find the right tenant mix and it will be nice to see the ballroom restored.

Jim McVey? I wonder if he's related to George McVey? Henry, any idea? I don't have my alumni book here. Anyway this is a great sign! Really G, a blackberry? Now I know I should borrow some of your money.

Nice! Here's the same one, a little larger from their website:

xyf4b2374e77cc4102bb8eftj3.jpg

I don't quite remember EXACTLY how it currently looks, but from my memory, this building looks the same as it currently does - just a little cleaner. That is the purpose though, isn't it? It will be nice to see the sign lit up again.

At one time it was reported that the sign would be air-lifted from the roof, flown to the Diamond, retrofitted and returned to the JM rooftop. I wonder if that plan is still in the works?

The restored John Marshall certainly will be a boost for the immediate area. Work is almost complete on Miller & Rhoads, Richmond CenterStage will open in eleven months, and Mo Roman's PIE restaurant on the ground level of the already renovated and occupied Berry Burk building is underway.

The National and Greater Richmond Convention Center as well as Richmod Coliseum are attracting crowds. The new Federal Court House is open drawing ancillary businesses to the area. Also, nearby bumpy streets are slated for repair after construction of M&R and RCS is completed.

Downtown looks a helluva lot better than it did five years ago! Now what's needed is retail activity along Grace Street and a Trader Joe's in the neighborhood. :)

Eric,

That's the plan... this is an historic tax credit rehab project... at a cost of something in the range of $80-100 million

what is $80-$100 million? The JM or the Grace st. rehab?

If the JM, that price tag far exceeds the previous renovation announcements years ago and they were going to have a pool and an addition on the back...which, from what I hear, are no longer in the works.

Jim McVey? I wonder if he's related to George McVey? Henry, any idea? I don't have my alumni book here. Anyway this is a great sign! Really G, a blackberry? Now I know I should borrow some of your money.

Jim is George's son...He is the second of three boys.

Recently, Hugh the barber was told he had 90 days to submit his specifications for return to the John Marshall building. Then, however, he was told to speed up the process.

Things are moving along. Residences at the John Marshall anticipates an opening in summer of 2010.

This info comes from a friend who is a long-time customer of Hugh.

Nice! Here's the same one, a little larger from their website:

xyf4b2374e77cc4102bb8eftj3.jpg

Hugh's John Marshall Barber Shop used to be on the ground level along East Franklin street (lower right in this picture.) Until he moves back, the shop is across Franklin Street in the parking deck (not seen here.)

For those unfamiliar with this area of downtown, the John Marshall is on the northeast corner of 5th and Franklin. The newly renovated Residences at Miller & Rhoads (which includes the Hilton Garden Inn) is half a block north (left) of the John Marshall and covers the entire block bounded by 5th, Grace, 6th and Broad Streets.

The Marriott Hotel is across from M&R bounded by Broad, 5th, Marshall and 6th Streets.

The Richmond Coliseum is north of The Marriott and covers the blocks bounded by 5th, Leigh, 7th and an underground portion of East Clay Street that exclusively serves loading and mechanicals for the Coliseum.

Clay Street, which parallels Marshall and Leigh Streets, essentially is non-existant between 7th and 3rd Streets because of The Coliseum and The Greater Richmond Convention Center.

The Greater Richmond Convention Center is west of the The Coliseum and covers a large tract bounded by 5th, Broad, 3rd and Leigh Streets. 4th Street is non-existant between Broad and Leigh Streets.

The new performing arts center (formerly Loew's Theatre and a portion of Thalhimers Department Store) is now known as Richmond CenterStage and takes up half the block to the east of M&R fronting Grace Street between 6th and 7th.

And the brand new Federal Court House is east of RCStage covering the entire block bounded by 7th, Grace, 8th and Broad Streets.

The newly renovated National Theatre is directly across from the Fed CH at the northeast corner of Broad at 7th.

That's today's georgraphy lesson from Uncle Burt. :P

Hugh's John Marshall Barber Shop used to be on the ground level along East Franklin street (lower right in this picture.) Until he moves back, the shop is across Franklin Street in the parking deck (not seen here.)

For those unfamiliar with this area of downtown, the John Marshall is on the northeast corner of 5th and Franklin. The newly renovated Residences at Miller & Rhoads (which includes the Hilton Garden Inn) is half a block north (left) of the John Marshall and covers the entire block bounded by 5th, Grace, 6th and Broad Streets.

The Marriott Hotel is across from M&R bounded by Broad, 5th, Marshall and 6th Streets.

The Richmond Coliseum is north of The Marriott and covers the blocks bounded by 5th, Leigh, 7th and an underground portion of East Clay Street that exclusively serves loading and mechanicals for the Coliseum.

Clay Street, which parallels Marshall and Leigh Streets, essentially is non-existant between 7th and 3rd Streets because of The Coliseum and The Greater Richmond Convention Center.

The Greater Richmond Convention Center is west of the The Coliseum and covers a large tract bounded by 5th, Broad, 3rd and Leigh Streets. 4th Street is non-existant between Broad and Leigh Streets.

The new performing arts center (formerly Loew's Theatre and a portion of Thalhimers Department Store) is now known as Richmond CenterStage and takes up half the block to the east of M&R fronting Grace Street between 6th and 7th.

And the brand new Federal Court House is east of RCStage covering the entire block bounded by 7th, Grace, 8th and Broad Streets.

The newly renovated National Theatre is directly across from the Fed CH at the northeast corner of Broad at 7th.

That's today's georgraphy lesson from Uncle Burt. :P

Who needs to visit Richmond when we have Uncle Burt. :shades:

Does anyone know if the add-on wing is suppose to better resemble the original struture after renovations are complete?

The add-on wing on 5th Street next to the John Marshall was a plan of the previous developer. I don't think it is in the current plan.

Huh? He's talking about that wing that is a super watered-down version of the original building. Burt you make it sound like they're not doing anything with it.

Huh? He's talking about that wing that is a super watered-down version of the original building. Burt you make it sound like they're not doing anything with it.

I'm assuming Shak was referring to a new five or six story building that the original developer had announced, not the ugly tower that is already there. The latter will be part of the Residencies at John Marshall. But there has been no mention of Mr. Camp's squatty addition on the vacant space along 5th Street.

Archived