John Marshall Hotel

tombarnes

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha that's a good point Brent! Though a new building atop there could be a hotel, residential, office, or all of the above.

Regarding the John Marshall, I noticed an electrical contractor snapping photos of the building today as I was driving in this morning...

Haha that's a good point Brent! Though a new building atop there could be a hotel, residential, office, or all of the above.

Regarding the John Marshall, I noticed an electrical contractor snapping photos of the building today as I was driving in this morning...

I think the owner is getting bids from contractors while the architect is finalizing building plans...

I should mention though that today I noticed at least a dozen contractors with hardhats and portfolios going in and out and around the John Marshall. :thumbsup:

This got me to thinking some more... so today I dived into the Richmond City permits page...

Here is a gem for you - recent application and approval for 'other work' on the John Marshall, only 5000 bucks - but here is what they did - "drill 10 test holes" - those four words mean gold my friends... it means they are testing the columns for their concrete support weight, strength, etc. If they are doing that, well then they are doing structural work, which means they are in the architectural design phase...

Interesting interesting...

When was the second time? The first was when they had barriers around the property a few years ago. What have they done since? After the "wall" came down I just figured they were redesigning the "wheel" in regards to the project and they are now towards the end.

When was the second time? The first was when they had barriers around the property a few years ago. What have they done since? After the "wall" came down I just figured they were redesigning the "wheel" in regards to the project and they are now towards the end.

Actually they re-applied for barriers about a year ago... so maybe that would be the second time...

That was their plan all the time. Even their false start had the three public floors ( Ground commercial and 2 ballroom floors) and the rest residential. The historic hotel guest rooms do not begin until the 4th floor. Just look at the windows from the outside. The double hung (with the window units?) are at the 4th floor. I sure hope they get this going or are in the process of starting. I can not wait for that sign to be lit.

I encountered two gentlemen visually surveying the John Marshall last week. They are from Kansas City and are involved with the project in one way or another. When asked if work will begin soon, one of them replied "I hope so. That's why we're here." They were very impressed with all of the construction activity in the immediate area and remarked that downtown Richmond is quite impressive. They said that Commonwealth Architects are involved with the JM.

They told me that the lower four levels would be "commercial" and the higher floors will be residential apartments. I think that has something to do with obtaining tax credits.

That was me, I'm just trying to mess with your head. :silly:

Thats alright, Ill do it better... I spent a good thirty minutes shooting the breeze with the surveyors on the site... and yes they are apparently doing double duty. Having already been contracted to survey for John Marshall, they were asked to expand to serve the negotiations on the parking deck project across from the Carpenter Center. These gentlemen are providing Utilities information to the various planners, developers, and civil engineers to do the site designs for their respective projects. Word to them is that John Marshall is full steam ahead with an expected submittal date sometime soon for the exterior site work some time soon.

So be looking for that online.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived