John Marshall Hotel

tombarnes

Construction delays at The John Marshall have caused considerable distress for wedding planners, potential residents and others hoping to book activities in the building.

However, "The Sweet & Savory Christmas Tea" which I wrote about today at the bottom of page 204 in the Richmond Dining Out thread is still on schedule for 1PM on Saturday (12/10/11.

This story is from today's Richmond biz sense:

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2011/12/08/development-delays-put-a-damper-on-major-events/

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Construction delays at The John Marshall have caused considerable distress for wedding planners, potential residents and others hoping to book activities in the building.

However, "The Sweet & Savory Christmas Tea" which I wrote about today at the bottom of page 204 in the Richmond Dining Out thread is still on schedule for 1PM on Saturday (12/10/11.

This story is from today's Richmond biz sense:

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2011/12/08/development-delays-put-a-damper-on-major-events/

Was taking the gf to see the lights downtown at the James Center when we drove by the JM. They moved the construction fence away from the entrance so we got a closer look....

2cd75vr.jpg

The renovations and rehab look incredible. What a difference. I only snapped this shot while driving by, but I'm going to try and get a closer look the next time I'm down that way.

Wow. $2900/mo for the 2br really pushes this into the upper tiers of the most expensive rental units in downtown Richmond.

For comparison, top-floor 1br and 2br units in Miller and Roads are asking in the $1800 range. There's a high floor (17th) 2br unit at Vistas on the James that's asking $2200 and another 2br in the same building asking $1800.

Here's a video and story from today's RTD of the Residences at The John Marshall. There are two ballrooms -- The Marshall Room just off the lobby to your left as you enter the building from 5th Street, and the larger one called The Virginia Room on the lobby floor toward 6th Street.

It looks as if the old hotel, now called The Residences at The John Marshall, is just about ready for occupany by apartment dwellers. As of today, 51 tenants have signed leases in the 238-unit building.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/business/2011/dec/16/tdbiz01-former-hotel-john-marshall-ready-for-first-ar-1547642/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

While new residents move into the spanking new apartments on upper floors, it appears The Residences at The John Marshall is launching itself as a new downtown entertainment center.

Its considerable size and capacity could put it in music hall competition with The National, Richmond CenterStage and Capital Ale House.

On Saturday, February 11th, from 7:30PM until 1AM, a group called THE LOVE BOAT LAND CRUISE will be performing in The Virginia Room which is the larger of the former hotel's ballrooms.

http://www.mytickets...nt=340&venue=43

While new residents move into the spanking new apartments on upper floors, it appears The Residences at The John Marshall is launching itself as a new downtown entertainment center.

Its considerable size and capacity could put it in music hall competition with The National, Richmond CenterStage and Capital Ale House.

On Saturday, February 11th, from 7:30PM until 1AM, a group called THE LOVE BOAT LAND CRUISE will be performing in The Virginia Room which is the larger of the former hotel's ballrooms.

http://www.mytickets...nt=340&venue=43

Wow. The Virginia Ballroom is much LARGER than I expected..... this certainly WILL create fierce competition with some of Richmond's premier music halls (and bars :rolleyes:)

I can't wait for all of these restorations to these skyscrapers finish! By the next census, we could be seeing 500-1000+ new people :thumbsup: . Now, we just have to find someone to help out with CNB. Just THINK of all of the opportunities RVA will have opened if and when they have restored THAT :shok: !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The zipper banner atop the webpage now says 160 apartments have been leased. That's 10 more than the April 10th release.

http://www.johnmarshallresidences.com

By the way, Hugh still has not moved his barber operations back to the JM.

Only 53 apartments left. :good:

The zipper banner now says 185 have been leased.

PS: It's possible Hugh may be able to move into the barber shop this week.

PPS: If it's true that Miller & Rhoads is 100% leased, downtown's population is growing rapidly. Also, the units above PASTURE are occupied as well as apartments in the Berry Burk and Cokesbury building as well as Grace Place. What's more, if the proposed arts district is approved by city council next week (see Development thread) commercial space in some of the buildings may become attractive to developers.

• 3 weeks later...

Memories. :whistling:

Two of the three former ball rooms in the John Marshall are active again: The Virginia Room and The Marshall Room are available in all their former glory for meetings, dances and entertainment. But the Roof Garden has been converted to penthouses.

In the old days of the 1930's, 40's and into the 50's, all the major hotels offered dinner and dancing with full orchestras , although you had to BYO booze.

The Richmond Hotel (now the 9th Street State Office Building) had what they called The Winter Garden on the top floor.

The John Marshall was the prestige place with its 3 ballrooms.

The Jefferson Hotel had its ballroom and The Empire Room.

Even The William Byrd Hotel across from Broad Street Station offered dancing occasionally.

Click the captions on this website to see pictures:

http://johnmarshall.revotheory.com/?page_id=7

Great concert hall too. I saw Leo Kottke there last night and I have tickets for Patterson Hood ( Drive by Truckers). I was sitting 10 feet away from Leo as he played. Awesome time. That ballroom looks awesome with those massive chandeliers and an act on stage. Kinda surreal of a time that once was...and now is...I guess.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Apartments in the old John Marshall Hotel are now 95% leased.

The Virginia Ball Room and The Marshall Room on the lobby level book frequent events -- including the occasional concert.

Within the building, a public restaurant to be called 'Charcoal' pulled out of a lease in the old Captain's Grill space on 5th Street which remains vacant.  But the barber shop is back in its Franklin Street space and is thriving.

Residents of the building have three new top-line restaurant options within two blocks --525 AT THE BERRY BURK at 6th and Grace; PASTURE on Grace near 5th, and RAPPAHANNOCK at the corner of 4th and Grace.

Nearby entertainment centers are The Carpenter Theatre, The Gottwald Playhouse and Rhythm Hall on Grace between 6th and 7th Streets; The National Theatre at 7th and Broad, and The Richmond Coliseum on North 6th Street.

And out-door ice skating is available at RVA On Ice until the end of January on Broad between 6th and 7th Streets.

http://www.johnmarshallresidences.com

Archived