John Marshall Hotel

tombarnes

I like the site too. Looks great.

Although, I did not know that Browns Island was that far down the river from Tredegar...lol Only a few small mistakes on the "neighborhood map"

Can anyone see the voter base changing, in the near future, for this district?

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When The John Marshall opens in the summer of 2011, I calculate that there will be at least 460 residential apartment and condo units within 4 blocks of Richmond Center Stage, The Greater Richmond Convention Center, The Coliseum and The National Theater.

My guess:

130 units at M&R Condos, 6th and Broad

30 at Berry Burk, 6th and Grace

30 at Cokesbury Book Building, 5th and Grace

40 at Grace Place, 4th and Grace

230 at John Marshall, 5th and Franklin.

Total - 460 units, That's not to say every unit will be occupied.dontknow.gif

Add to that number 700 hotel rooms divided between The Mariott and Hilton Garden Inn, both of which are on opposite sides of Broad between 5th and 6th Streets.

http://johnmarshallresidences.com

Broadway Apartments (same block as Convention Center, on Broad Street) has ~ 30 units as well.

Marshall Street Apartments/Villas has 11 units (and a pool on the roof, from what I hear). Across the street from Convention Center.

Broadway Apartments (same block as Convention Center, on Broad Street) has ~ 30 units as well.

Marshall Street Apartments/Villas has 11 units (and a pool on the roof, from what I hear). Across the street from Convention Center.

Agreed, 540_804. If the parameter were extended west to Belvidere, my numbers of 460 residential units would easily quardruple and hotel rooms would double.

The high-rise/mid-rise apartments on Franklin east of Belvidere would add at least 700 units, not including those in townhouses.

Canal, Cary, Main, Grace, Broad, Marshall, Clay, Leigh and Jackson Streets conservatively would add another 600.

The side streets, Henry, Monroe, Madison, Jefferson, Adams, Foushee, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th Streets would account for another estimated 240.

Estimated total --- 1,540

Add my previous estimate ---- 460

Grand total of residential units (my estimates) bounded by Belvidere to the west, 6th Street to the east, Canal Street to the south and Jackson Street to the north: 2,000.

The 2,000 figure is for existing and proposed housing units and does NOT include new VCU dorms.

To my hotel room total of 700, add 250 at The DoubleTree; 250 at The Jefferson; 70 at Linden Row Inn; 30 at Massad House and 300 at The Crown Plaza.

Estimated hotel units ---- 900

Add my previous estimate -- 700

Grand total of hotel units within the above described area: 1,500.

unsure.gif Whew! I'm exhausted.

Workmen are coming in to install Fios, so this will probably be my last post for today. smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Residences at John Marshall has secured HUD/FHA financing totaling in $40.6 million.shades.gif

It’s the first master lease, historic tax-credit transaction in Virginia to be financed through HUD and the first to be done through the Richmond HUD field office.

http://www.virginiabusiness.com/index.php/news/article/hotel-john-marshall-gets-40.6-million-in-financing-for-renovation/204454/

• 1 month later...

I can't believe how quick the renovation is going! To go from years of sitting in neglect to having almost all of the letters on the sign removed in such a short amount of time is great. The parking garage going up across the intersection is also making steady progress. I hope the development at the John Marshall encourages that whole section of Franklin and Grace streets to improve, there are such great buildings along that corridor that are vacant/neglected.

I can't believe how quick the renovation is going! To go from years of sitting in neglect to having almost all of the letters on the sign removed in such a short amount of time is great. The parking garage going up across the intersection is also making steady progress. I hope the development at the John Marshall encourages that whole section of Franklin and Grace streets to improve, there are such great buildings along that corridor that are vacant/neglected.

Thanks for the upbeat comment about The John Marshall,Tommy.

Thank God for the National Theatre and GIBSON's GRILL which entice hundreds to East Broad Street, but unfortunately, Richmond CenterStage on East Grace Street, to date, has not proven to be the catalyst hoped for in the Broad/Grace/Franklin corridor. Management of the facility is not offering enough attractions in the performance halls to bring people downtown with any frequency. For instance, their events calendar lists only three bookings between the end of June and September 24th.

The owners of COMFORT and SIX BURNER, last I heard, had committed to renovating the old Montaldo's at 5th and Grace into an upscale comfort food restaurant. But plans for an Italian restaurant in Berry Burk have been abandoned.

Did you notice any activity in the commercial spaces of Miller & Rhoads?

I have a Richmond friend who gets his hair cut at the John Marshall Barber Shop which is temporarily located across Franklin Street from the JM Hotel.

Hugh the Barber told him today that he has been informed that the barber shop wll be moved back into the hotel within a year and that the overall project will be completed in 16 months.

Elaborating on Tommy's observations two entries above, my friend affirmed that the roof sign removal began Friday -- not airlifted as previously mentioned somewhere in these pages. The sign will return. Meanwhile, he noticed that windows are being removed from some sections (but not all) of the Roof Garden. Sign/fence indicates move-in summer of 2011.

Hugh the Barber also told my friend that there will be demolition of some property on the south side of East Franklin Street between the old Professional Building at the corner of 5th and the ugly yellow building at 6th to make way for a new parking deck to accommodate tenants of the Residences at The John Marshall. There has even been discussion of an underground or overhead connection between the JM and a new parking deck across Franklin Street.

However, some times information gets twisted when relayed from one person to another.

One thing we do know as fact is that the new multi-storied state parking deck a block east on the south side of Franklin between 6th and 7th Streets is progressing nicely. :thumbsup:

Hugh the Barber also told my friend that there will be demolition of some property on the south side of East Franklin Street between the old Professional Building at the corner of 5th and the ugly yellow building at 6th to make way for a new parking deck to accommodate tenants of the Residences at The John Marshall. There has even been discussion of an underground or overhead connection between the JM and a new parking deck across Franklin Street.

However, some times information gets twisted when relayed from one person to another.

One thing we do know as fact is that the new multi-storied state parking deck a block east on the south side of Franklin between 6th and 7th Streets is progressing nicely. :thumbsup:

Previously (2006), there was to be a 6? story addition as well. Is this still the case?

Shak, the 6-story addition to which you refer was in the original plan. It was to rise just to the north of the John Marshall Hotel on 5th Street (between Franklin and Grace.)

Does anyone know if it is still in the final plan?

Not sure, but the portion fronting 6th street is in the process of being demo'ed. Also, all of the lettering on the sign has been removed.

It is to my understanding the 6-story addition is where you are referring.

It is to my understanding the 6-story addition is where you are referring.

The demolition is the old motor entrance at the n/w corner of 6th and East Franklin Streets. The 6-story addition was to be on the east side of 5th Street midway between Franklin and Grace.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Rumor has it that there may be some retail negotiations going on for spaces at The Residences at The John Marshall.

I'm curious about reports that the Motor entrance at the corner of 6th and East Franklin is being partially demolished. Can anyone confirm or deny such activity?

For those who want a refresher about what's going on here's the website which was posted by thatguy on April 22nd:

http://johnmarshallresidences.com/

Yes Burt, a portion of that part of the building has been demolished. About 1/3 of the building along the alley has been removed. It would a be a good place for a pool or some outdoor space/courtyard for the tenants. Does anyone know the reason for removing this part of the building?

More scuttlebutt from Hugh the Barber about The John Marshall:

A bank and a grocery store will occupy the 6th Street side of the building, says he. First Market and another bank are bidding for space, but a grocery operator was not named.

Trader Joe's would be a nice fit, IMO. :thumbsup: But that's purely speculation on my part.

A gym is also planned.

The photo in the following posting shows the Franklin Street side of the John Marshall between 5th and 6th in addition to its 5th Street main entrance.

Part of the 6th Street building can be seen at extreme lower right. It is adjacent to the ball room which is mid-block in the picture.

With less than 6,000 s.f. available for lease in the 6th Street retail space, I'm not sure the "grocery" can be anything more than a convenience store type user, particularly if a portion of the space will be a bank. I'd think Trader Joe's would need at least 10,000 SF or so.

With less than 6,000 s.f. available for lease in the 6th Street retail space, I'm not sure the "grocery" can be anything more than a convenience store type user, particularly if a portion of the space will be a bank. I'd think Trader Joe's would need at least 10,000 SF or so.

Hmmmmm. I'm surprised there's so little square footage available. But after seeing Brent's picture in the Development thread of the hunk that was chopped off of the 6th Street building, it's easy to understand. Residential units are going on the 2nd and 3rd levels.

Trader Joe's generally require from 8,000 to 12,000 s/f according to Google.

I believe there is a small convenience market on the ground floor of the building at s/w corner of 6th and Franklin. Maybe Hugh means that building will be upgraded -- or maybe it's all a misunderstanding. :dontknow:

Is there retail space on the ground level of the Richmond Garage directly across 6th Street (N/E corner) from the JM? The grand old building is all but useless as a stand-alone parking deck because of the tight curves in the ramp.

NOTE: A plan has been announced to build a mixed-use structure containing parking and offices on the south side of East Grace between 6th and 7th Streets. It would abut the Richmond garage and make it useful as a parking deck once again by eliminating the need to use the torturous ramp.

In the photo three postings above, notice the tall trees at the corner of 5th and Franklin.

Hugh says they will be removed and replaced by smaller trees to provide better views from 3rd floor apartments.

Oh, by the way: The John Marshall Barber Shop will return to its original location on the East Franklin Street side of the building.

Just ask Hugh.:)

More ruminations from Hugh, the Barber.

His temporary barber shop's entry is a slight jog up a driveway leading into a parkig deck midway in the block between 5th and 6th on on the south side of East Franklin Street.

He told my friend that buildings on that site will be demolished to make way for construction of a new parking deck (anywhere from 3 to 7 levels high) to accommodate residents at The JM. It is not to be confused with the tall garage going up a block east.

(Incidentally, a customer in an adjoining chair told my friend that a crane dropped a large panel being hoisted to the facade of the new Main Street Center parking garage.)

Also, says Hugh, The Hilton Garden Inn , a block away, has contracted to share the JM banquet facilities.

• 3 weeks later...

Richmond-based Commonwealth Architects has won a court judgement against Rule Joy Trammel + Rubio LLC of Atlanta.

When plans got serious about rejuvenating The John Marshall Hotel, Commonwealth Architects was hired to produce drawings and renderings of proposed improvements. Subsequently, the Atlanta firm was hired to replace Commonwealth and, apparently, used some of Commonwealth's drawings.

Details of the settlement are not revealed in this story from today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...it10-ar-497815/

Here is the attractive John Marshall web site for any who have not seen it:

http://www.johnmarshallresidences.com

Archived