tombarnes

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can anyone give an update or photos on the progress of this so far? I am really excited to see this come online this year. Will this still be a Summer of 2011 Opening?

I do not think summer 2011 was the date released after they started construction, versus when they hoped to have it done prior to construction beginning. There were several months between the date release and the actual beginning of the project.

It is slated for Sept/Oct 2011

• 2 months later...

Although opening of the John Marshall Residences is not scheduled until September of 2011, the 9-foot tall letters of the rooftop sign are being remounted beginning today.

Holiday Signs, which is the company refurbishing the sign, says installation will take eight days after which it wil be lit for all to see.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...oday-ar-956778/

Here's the website:

http://www.johnmarsh...s.com/index.htm

If you click "Views" on the top bar of the website then hit "East" you'll see another building that soon will begin conversion to apartments. It is the gray-ish building at the corner of East Franklin and 7th Streets with the somewhat ornate top-floor windows. It was built about 1913 and for years was The Virginia Electric & Power Company headquarters.

• 1 month later...

nice article on the JM renovations and what to expect when open. Not sure why they spent a lot of time quoting the former architect and not the one on this project. Richmond has some funny politics...lol

John Marshall Renovations

Great story on the status of The Residences at the John Marshall. They are a bit behind schedule (October opening of lower floors followed by a March 2012 opening of remainder of building) but the world's economic situation should be in better shape soon and spur leasing. Acording to reports, downtown leasing of new and old apartments is, and has been, very active.

Rents not yet announced but likely to range around $1,100 for one-bedroom units and $1,500 two-bedroom apartments.

http://www.johnmarshallresidences.com/

Great story on the status of The Residences at the John Marshall. They are a bit behind schedule (October opening of lower floors followed by a March 2012 opening of remainder of building) but the world's economic situation should be in better shape soon and spur leasing. Acording to reports, downtown leasing of new and old apartments is, and has been, very active.

Rents not yet announced but likely to range around $1,100 for one-bedroom units and $1,500 two-bedroom apartments.

http://www.johnmarshallresidences.com/

I noticed on my Richmond trip in April that the John Marshall Hotel has been power-cleaned. The exterior is almost white in color compared with its previous gray-ish look.

Now that it has been reinstalled on the roof, is the sign illuminated at night? It wasn't when I was there mid-April.

Here are some photographs taken by Paul Hammond. They show construction activity at The John Marshall. Notice how clean and "white" the building looks?

While its neighbor, Miller & Rhoads, has switched from condo sales to apartment rentals, leasing of units at The John Marshall Residences will not begin until late summer or early fall.

From Greater Jackson Ward News:

http://www.gjwn.net/news/2011/05/16/the-rebirth-of-the-john-marshall-hotel/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some apartments on lower floors will open by September 15th with the remainder expected to be ready by 2012, according to this story about progress at The John Marshall.

Hugh the Barber expects to be back in his niche with 8 barber chairs by November 17th. And a catering service owned by the lady known as Suzanne hopes to have her first events in both of the meeting halls by October.

From today's Richmond Biz Sense:

http://www.richmondb...y-for-new-life/

PS: I think one of the comments under the story is interesting: The writer sincerely believes that turning East Grace Street into a Charlottesville type of mall will spur retail activity.

While malls generally are considered things of the past, the one in C'ville seems far more successful than most. So, maybe the guy is right. :dontknow:

I hate the idea of a pedestrian mall, and the one in Charlottesville is past its prime.

Richmond really needs to loose it's love affair with small town amenities. People can walk around cars, it isn't hard. We should be looking to places like Boston and Baltimore for ideas, not provincial college towns. That said, the pedestrian mall in Denver seems to be holding on, but it has buses and light rail going through it.

I can't wait for this project to be done. The blocks around it have been lifeless far too long.

Some apartments on lower floors will open by September 15th with the remainder expected to be ready by 2012, according to this story about progress at The John Marshall.

Hugh the Barber expects to be back in his niche with 8 barber chairs by November 17th. And a catering service owned by the lady known as Suzanne hopes to have her first events in both of the meeting halls by October.

From today's Richmond Biz Sense:

http://www.richmondb...y-for-new-life/

PS: I think one of the comments under the story is interesting: The writer sincerely believes that turning East Grace Street into a Charlottesville type of mall will spur retail activity.

While malls generally are considered things of the past, the one in C'ville seems far more successful than most. So, maybe the guy is right. :dontknow:

I just got back from a 2-week trip to UK and couldn't help but admire how every mid-sized city in England has a significant pedestrian-only area which is the thriving heart of the city. Unfortunately, we don't have a cathedral or mediaeval market square to serve as a magnet for that sort of thing and they don't have Short Pumps just 10 miles outside the city center. Thus, while romantic, I don't think the pedestrian mall would be anything more than Hobo Central if we tried it in that area.

Hugh the Barber's move back into the John Marshall Hotel building on November 17th may be celebrated as a gala affair, according to reports. In fact, it MAY be held in one of the former ballrooms where a cadre of former Virginia Governors and VIP's among the black-tie crowd will subject Hugh to a sort of affectionate 'roast'.

This is not verifiable, but some say over 250 possible tenants have expressed interest in the 238 apartments available in the complex.

The rooftop sign has been remounted and is once again illuminated.

Gold gilt is being applied to the 5th Street entrance.

Meanwhile, the 3-story section wrapping around 6th and Franklin is still without a wall in the alley separating the building from Berry Burk, but heavy construction activity is evident.

http://www.johnmarshallresidences.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The Barber, Hugh Cambell, will be moving back into his old 8-chair space in The John Marshall on December 1st. It is on the Franklin Street side of the old hotel and will have a street entrance as well as an entry from the lobby.

Apartment rentals range between $755 for studios to $2,900 for 2 bedroom units.

Archived