The Armory Thread

Liamlunchtray

I noticed that work seems to have started back up on the storefront next to the Funeral Home condos on westminster. (The one with the diner in the parking lot..) Are the Lilli Marlenes folks still doing this or have plans changed?

Work never really stopped on this one. They just put up new paper in the windows. Tt is going rather slow, with only one or two guys a couple of hours each. They are there on Saturdays and Sundays a bit longer. I looked inside and it is all framed in. As far as I know, still Lilli Marlenes. I ask the guy I see there every now and then how it is going. First time he said they would be ready in July. I asked him a few weeks ago and he said November. We will see. Hell, Nick's still isnt open yet, so I am skeptical.

The condos across the street from the funeral home intrigue me. What are they doing over there? At the beginning of the summer they started landscaping, only to have it all turn to weeds. This week they rip out the weeds again. The parking lot is all ripped up and they are working on something, but I dont know what. it is just kind of amazing to me that you could progress so slowly on these things. Must be nice to be able to to pay the note on the property and the taxes AND renovate for YEARS without seeing any profit.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The condos across the street from the funeral home intrigue me. What are they doing over there? At the beginning of the summer they started landscaping, only to have it all turn to weeds. This week they rip out the weeds again. The parking lot is all ripped up and they are working on something, but I dont know what. it is just kind of amazing to me that you could progress so slowly on these things. Must be nice to be able to to pay the note on the property and the taxes AND renovate for YEARS without seeing any profit.

It is weird how slowly that one is progressing. The back wing of the building is coming along, but it looks like they havent done much at all in the front portion. It looks like they poured a small foundation of somesort next to the entrance to the parking lot.

It is weird how slowly that one is progressing. The back wing of the building is coming along, but it looks like they havent done much at all in the front portion. It looks like they poured a small foundation of somesort next to the entrance to the parking lot.

The first day they started that there were all sorts of electrical contractors out there so I though it was just laying some line to the street. The foundation thingy is not what I expected at all.

Is Lily Marlenes moving here completely?

Nope, it will be a bar/bistro but is owned by the same guy as Lilli Marlene's.

Here is the website for the whole project, http://www.westvillageprovidence.com/ An excerpt from that site:

The second phase of the West Village is the redevelopment of the single-story commercial building on the site; the art deco inspired Iannotti Building (1926) at 1455 Westminster Street. A local restaurateur will be opening a neighborhood based Parisian style bistro in the renovated building. The bistro is scheduled to open in the Fall of 2006.

I think all is true still on that except the opening date. :whistling:

I noticed that work seems to have started back up on the storefront next to the Funeral Home condos on westminster. (The one with the diner in the parking lot..) Are the Lilli Marlenes folks still doing this or have plans changed?

Storefront Church now has black plastic draped in all the front windows. There doesnt seem to be as much activity, but they are still doing something in there.

Anyone have an update on the Lawton building?

Lawton furniture building got approval from the HDC to demolish the house and the block addition (despite vigirous opposition from WBNA-what's with them anyway??). There are still several approvals to go but the potential developers seem serious. Still seems like a stretch but the deal is that Lawtons is moving out and therefore the building is going to be empty. A bad situation if that building sits cold.

Lawton furniture building got approval from the HDC to demolish the house and the block addition (despite vigirous opposition from WBNA-what's with them anyway??). There are still several approvals to go but the potential developers seem serious. Still seems like a stretch but the deal is that Lawtons is moving out and therefore the building is going to be empty. A bad situation if that building sits cold.

I'm assuming that WBNA would be against it because it would mean the loss of some (lousy) low cost housing. I dont really get it personally. The lawton building is really cool and I would certainly rather see it be developed than have a warehouse in the middle of a residential neighborhood. If it ended up sitting vacant it would be a terrible fire risk.

Last Saturday morning I was walking down Broadway and noticed a carpet intallation truck parked in front of the former pharmacy building on the north side of the street. I asked the carpet installer if he knew what was going on the building and he said a financial services company was moving into the building. I wish it was going to be neighborhood retail, but it is better than a vacant storefront.

I've also heard that a small clothes consignment shop similar to the one on Brook Street is opening in the space that was formerly clementine and poppy.

Does anyone know what is happening with the former Tally's religious supply place further east on Broadway? The building is terrible and set back from the street with parking in front, but I'm surprised a small retailer wouldn't be interested in leasing it.

Last Saturday morning I was walking down Broadway and noticed a carpet intallation truck parked in front of the former pharmacy building on the north side of the street. I asked the carpet installer if he knew what was going on the building and he said a financial services company was moving into the building. I wish it was going to be neighborhood retail, but it is better than a vacant storefront.

You talking about DePasquale's? Thats a shame, would have loved to see it be something better for the neighborhood, such as a PHARMACY!

I've also heard that a small clothes consignment shop similar to the one on Brook Street is opening in the space that was formerly clementine and poppy.
I have heard this too. Dont know any details though.

Does anyone know what is happening with the former Tally's religious supply place further east on Broadway? The building is terrible and set back from the street with parking in front, but I'm surprised a small retailer wouldn't be interested in leasing it.

I have looked in this place before, and there seems to be cubicles set up in there. Not sure if it temporary or not or even what kind of business goes on there. I would love to see the place bulldozed and a nice 4 or 5 story building built there with ground level retail and apartments on top.

a nice 4 or 5 story building built there with ground level retail and apartments on top.

FIVE STORIES!?! Are you CRAZY! That would blot out the sun!!!! :shok: Children would go unloved, puppies would die, and ice cream would melt!!!!

FIVE STORIES!?! Are you CRAZY! That would blot out the sun!!!! :shok: Children would go unloved, puppies would die, and ice cream would melt!!!!

Not to mention trees would wither.....

Well, while I do have a problem with the hulking rendering for the Atwells Parcel, I have no problem with some height in that area.

I toured the new Nick's with Derek Wagner last night. The place looks fantastic! The walls are a retro-red tile, with slate floors and brushed stainless furnishings. (I do hope the cycle insurance storefront next door will spiff up a bit in response.) The paper was off the windows so you can see in from the street. The move will happen next week and he expects to be open the following week. He'll serve breaksfast and lunch the first few weeks and dinner once things are running smoothly. He has a small bar and a liquor license too.

Hooray for the new Nick's!!

PS - I was amused to learn that Derek didn't put up the "Patience" drawing on the exterior of the plywood construction framong out front. It just appeared and he liked and and kept it.

The move will happen next week and he expects to be open the following week.

Yay! That is such great news for my Saturday and Sunday mornings! Glad to hear about the small bar, too. Hope this could turn into a nice neighborhood place to have a drink.

Never thought I would drive by a place with the windows covered up and smile, but I did this morning when I passed the old Nick's location. Because that means they are moving into their new location right around the corner from me.

Very excited. Although, now I get the privelege of having to climb over the hipster kids waiting waaaayy to long for food on weekend mornings. :) Its worth it though to have Nick's so close.

Anyone know what is going into the old space?

Sorry to ask this question which may have already been answered but what is the new address and when does it open?

I believe it is 501 Broadway, or something very close to that. It is the block right after El Chapincito. In between Harkness and Tobey Streets on the south side of Broadway.

According to the sign on the front, Oct 18th is the opening date.

In Armory's case, now that they own that whole "complex" (funeral Home, House, and storefront) they have a real motivation to actually do something with it. Cant have a realtor and development company dedicated to bringing back a neighborhood housed there while having an abandoned storefront right next to you. :)

This afternoon I saw some guys working on the door/frame/transom window of the storefront at the corner of Knight and Broadway. I can only hope that means the building will be getting ready for a tenant soon.

K.

Archived