The Armory Thread

Liamlunchtray

We are planting a bunch o' trees on the Messer St Side of Hudson on Saturday. I hope all you west siders will show with your gloves, shovel and perhaps a snack (a nice cuppa tea, maybe a croissant) for your favorite tree provider. It is sure to be a good time, rain or shine! 8 am!

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jen you should check out Armistice Blvd in Pawtucket right now, I dont know what kind of trees they are but they're all flowering and it looks pretty cool. All up and down the median and along the sidewalks. I'll have to take a pic and post it.

Is anyone going to the West End spring cleanup this Saturday? I think the sign says 8:30-1:00, and I have something going on work-related at 10. I'd still like to stop by at some point and help out, hopefully I won't go out too hard on Friday night so I can get up in the morning.

Who knows, it could turn into a UP/West End forum meet....

Unfortunately I will be at the Steelyard playing with hot metal...But my neighbors and I cleaned up our street last week, sweeping and mulching all the trees.

I have noticed the Parks Dept cleaning up the park more, maybe my constant barrage of emails and phone calls are working <_<

Do I make up for it by plantng trees in Israel every year? And taking care of the five trees on my street? :thumbsup:

Ok, YOU are off the hook. BTW, we did a planting on a friday over on the east side a few falls ago and the residents over there were telling me that there's a specific tree planting holiday (i think it is in the fall) that orthodox celebrate--do you know what it is called? It isn't Sukot (sp?) is it?

and if your trees are relatively new (ie, last two years) please start watering them. We have had a terribly dry winter and spring and if we don't start getting those trees watered, they won't make it to next spring.

Thanks!

Tu B' Shevat is the english spelling of it. Tu is not a hebrew word, merely means the 15th day of the hebrew month of shevat and occurs in the Jan/Feb timeframe. Basically a Jewish Arbor Day now, but its purpose is to count the new year for trees for tithing purposes. The Book Of Leviticus talks of which fruit trees you cannot partake of for the first three years, the fourth year is for god, and after that you can eat the fruit. Tu b' shevat marks the year. Not only Orthodox jews celebrate it, and it is not a religious holiday. Wow! I remember something from yeshiva!

Its a traditional time of year to plant trees in Israel through the Jewish National Fund.

Just wanted to comment that the streets & sidewalks in the neighborhood look awesome after the clean-up. Let's hope people can keep it that way by picking up trash.

I wish I could have helped out. My wife and son went and had a great time. Sarah took along her handy dandy Sharps container to dispose of needles found in the part. Viva la neighborhood in transition! :D

I wish I could have helped out. My wife and son went and had a great time. Sarah took along her handy dandy Sharps container to dispose of needles found in the part. Viva la neighborhood in transition! :D

Hmm how many did she find? I walk in the park everyday and look out for those, but never seem to find them. Ever since they cut the pine trees up high the way they should be, I have noticed less and less paraphenalia.

Hmm how many did she find? I walk in the park everyday and look out for those, but never seem to find them. Ever since they cut the pine trees up high the way they should be, I have noticed less and less paraphenalia.

I think she only ended up with 2, which isnt too bad. A friend of ours found one in the playground in Dexter Park about 2 or 3 weeks ago as well. FWIW we have found them in playgrounds on the East Side too, so its not just a neighborhood thing.

I need to drive by there today. I cant chatter appreciatively about things I have not seen. Not ethical. :D

only 2 needles...not bad. I did see someone suspicious around the slide in the park about 2 weeks ago, trying to hide himself from me Sure looked like he was shooting up. He looked at me, I looked at him and I was about to say something when the dog growled at him. He took off quickly.

only 2 needles...not bad. I did see someone suspicious around the slide in the park about 2 weeks ago, trying to hide himself from me Sure looked like he was shooting up. He looked at me, I looked at him and I was about to say something when the dog growled at him. He took off quickly.

It's too bad - for whatever reason Dexter Park is my kids absolute favorite, but I always feel I have to be a bit overly vigilent when we go there. I do love that it is so close to the house, Its great to be able to take the kids out and not have to get them in the car.

It's too bad - for whatever reason Dexter Park is my kids absolute favorite, but I always feel I have to be a bit overly vigilent when we go there. I do love that it is so close to the house, Its great to be able to take the kids out and not have to get them in the car.

I agree. I dont have kids, but I also feel like I need to be more vigilant than usual when I am in the park. Most people are really friendly, even the ones that look like they wont be, but there a few that make me uneasy. Part of being in a city though.

Luckily, the dog is an excellent early warning system. He is a small dog, but a terrier and seemingly knows all that may not be on the up and up. Sweet as pie to kids that run up to him or adults, but if he smells something off, he lets you know.

Archived