The Armory Thread

Liamlunchtray

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So when are you going to update the blog [WestSideSkeptic]? I dont agree with most of what you say, but it is nice to read different opinions.

I wanted the blog to promote some discussion, but I really only got four people posting, two of whom were of the "I hate what you say, you're a hypocrite, and you're wrong about everything" variety. Not really a lively fact- and logic-based debate. So since I was spending too much time on a project that wasn't accomplishing what I'd hoped for, I haven't kept it up.

I might post some more stuff soon, but I've been really busy.

Thank you for your interest though!

If these are mis-truths, why dont you use your name or tell us anything about who you are or where you are coming from? I think a lot of people are making these assumptions because you havent said anything otherwise.

Ummm - "Liamlunchtray" and "Basachs" - I don't really feel comfortable putting my name on the web. As JenColeSlaw points out, it's not exactly a top secret who I am. But having received nasty, ALL CAPS posts, I just don't want to list my name and personal info right on the blog.

Folks - like I said, if you dispute any facts on WSS, tell me what they are and why they're wrong. No one here has done that yet. Ad hominem arguments are logical fallacies: it doesn't follow that my facts must be wrong because you don't know my name, rank, and serial number, or my facts must be wrong because I'm middle class, or a student, or Martian. Facts are facts.

Anyone else notice the 10-15 or so new trees that went up Friday on Broadway? Not only were they were put in areas that sorely needed them. but the city did the cutouts nice and wide so the trees can actually grow.

Also, over the past 2 weeks a lot of new sidewalks were put in on Broadway.

Anyone else notice the 10-15 or so new trees that went up Friday on Broadway? Not only were they were put in areas that sorely needed them. but the city did the cutouts nice and wide so the trees can actually grow.

trees were a PNPP/Forestry dept effort with help from Phil at La Cafe Prima (he submitted all the addresses to us) and sidewalks, well, it is "sidewalk season..." :lol:

We participated and I unloaded a desk and a table plus assorted bric-a-brac. We made $65 in 2 hours - not bad. Afterwards, I delivered my and a neighbor's leftovers to the Salvation Army.

Griswald, did you have any luck shopping for a kayak? Will it fit in your basement or should we expect to see it in next year's yardsale after your fiance says you can no longer use it as a coffee table on the first floor?

oak

I live on Broadway, and the sidewalk adjacent to our home was recently replaced. I talked to the foreman of the crew, and he said that they were actually out there filling requests for sidewalk replacement that were placed 6 years ago! Apparently, the city is just getting to it now...

I live on Broadway, and the sidewalk adjacent to our home was recently replaced. I talked to the foreman of the crew, and he said that they were actually out there filling requests for sidewalk replacement that were placed 6 years ago! Apparently, the city is just getting to it now...

how do sidewalk requests work? on my street there are a lot of strips of land with no sidewalk, just a mud path where people connected the sidewalk.

how do sidewalk requests work? on my street there are a lot of strips of land with no sidewalk, just a mud path where people connected the sidewalk.

That's all we have in Pawtucket. It's like residents were allowed to choose whether or not their frontage would have a sidewalk, and 1/3 said yes and the rest said no.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I read in the ProJo this morning that the United Way funded the Urban Greens/WBNA grocery co-op project and made a 3-year commitment to the project. (Sorry I don't have the link.)

I will be so happy if this project happens!

I read in the ProJo this morning that the United Way funded the Urban Greens/WBNA grocery co-op project and made a 3-year commitment to the project. (Sorry I don't have the link.)

yes, in addition Champlin will be helping pay down the construction costs which will help the storefront out quite a bit.

http://www.projo.com/news/content/projo_20...29.194d4aa.html

I cant do that fancy linkage that Cotuit does.

• 4 weeks later...

Poppy on Broadway has closed and there's a for lease sign up in the window. Nick's has re opened at its "old" location but should be moving soon.

I had actually meant to mention last week that it looked like the new Nicks was moving ahead again. Plywood is down and new windows are in place. Looks good.

poppy was a kind of cosmetic/clothing store. Cute stuff but it doesn't surprise me that folks have trouble making a go of it when they aren't open on sunday. It seems to me that you could make your entire week's profits by just being open in the morning on Saturday and Sunday when there are loads of people just WAITING to get pancakes at Nick's.

From the rumor mill: Possible entry level condo project for the Lawton warehouse on Harrison st. One of the run down houses next door may be taken down for parking. Personally I would be ok with the loss of the house if it meant new life for the Lawton warehouse.

I had actually meant to mention last week that it looked like the new Nicks was moving ahead again. Plywood is down and new windows are in place. Looks good.

Yes, they have been working pretty steadily. Nice to see that the storefront finally sees the light of day again. Also they put some granite on the bottom of the storefront, looks cool.

Visited the open house of the funeral home, turned condos on Westminster. Amazing, quality work was done here all the way to finishing the basement into seperate locked storage rooms. Really cool original detail and design.The prices are steep, but the quality is there. They have already sold one, which makes me happy.

Also heard from the Armory agent there that Armory is moving to Broadway. They are the ones that bought the triple building on Broadway. A funeral home, house and storefront all attached together. Armory will be moving into the funeral home, and they are looking for a cafe type business to go into the storefront. I suggested that whatever cafe they put in, also make or carry quality ice cream. Definitely need one on this side of the city.

Yes, they have been working pretty steadily. Nice to see that the storefront finally sees the light of day again. Also they put some granite on the bottom of the storefront, looks cool.

Visited the open house of the funeral home, turned condos on Westminster. Amazing, quality work was done here all the way to finishing the basement into seperate locked storage rooms. Really cool original detail and design.The prices are steep, but the quality is there. They have already sold one, which makes me happy.

Also heard from the Armory agent there that Armory is moving to Broadway. They are the ones that bought the triple building on Broadway. A funeral home, house and storefront all attached together. Armory will be moving into the funeral home, and they are looking for a cafe type business to go into the storefront. I suggested that whatever cafe they put in, also make or carry quality ice cream. Definitely need one on this side of the city.

wow. the old pharmacy? That's awesome! and right down the BLOCK! food is getting closer to me EVERY DAY!

Archived