The Armory Thread

Liamlunchtray

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, is there a thread about the West Side greens market or whatever it's called? And if not would someone who has more information on it please feel free to start one? Or if someone knows the people who are organizing it please encourage them to come here and post about it.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone had an update on it. While it's not totally ideal for my narrow foot commuting patterns (Downcity or right on Atwells or Broadway would be more ideal for me), I'm very much looking forward to a dedicated place on the West Side to hook me up with some produce.

i've been suggesting for YEARS that the Atwells trolley go down Knight Street to Broadway and then back downtown (before Eagle Square) but it has always fallen on deaf ears. I'm not sure why it has to go down Atwells twice when it could serve an entirely different street and set of services/shops, etc.

and while i don't order from urban greens as much as i used to--it is a wonderful service and group of peeps and i recommend folks get involved. There's a yahoo group i think, that you can sign up for from the website (or at least send an email to get put on it.)

• 2 weeks later...

I just took the kids over to the Classic Cafe for some pancake action. It was PACKED and we actually had to wait for a table. Its great to see a neighborhood greasy spoon doing so well. It may not be as good as the modern, but it is a very solid breakfast food contender.

On a downside I noticed that there appears to be another store front church moving into the Falugo Furniture site next to the classic. This really sucks because it could be a very nice retail space.

Now if we could just get the crazy folks over at the burned out safety supply building to do some work...

I just took the kids over to the Classic Cafe for some pancake action. It was PACKED and we actually had to wait for a table. Its great to see a neighborhood greasy spoon doing so well. It may not be as good as the modern, but it is a very solid breakfast food contender.

On a downside I noticed that there appears to be another store front church moving into the Falugo Furniture site next to the classic. This really sucks because it could be a very nice retail space.

Now if we could just get the crazy folks over at the burned out safety supply building to do some work...

I'm alright with the churches...

as it is, I think there needs to be a little bit of a contraction in the amount of retail space throughout the neighborhoods. I think there is a glut of space, and a fairly limited market for much of the stuff that is out there. Of course, that could change in the next couple of years, but in the meantime, I don't like seeing vacant storefronts, and I think its better to fill some of those up and stabilize the market a bit...

why there IS such little market demand for neighborhood retail space is another question...one that needs some study and perhaps nudging along by city government...

I'm alright with the churches...

as it is, I think there needs to be a little bit of a contraction in the amount of retail space throughout the neighborhoods. I think there is a glut of space, and a fairly limited market for much of the stuff that is out there. Of course, that could change in the next couple of years, but in the meantime, I don't like seeing vacant storefronts, and I think its better to fill some of those up and stabilize the market a bit...

why there IS such little market demand for neighborhood retail space is another question...one that needs some study and perhaps nudging along by city government...

As many of you know, the West Broadway Elementary School is in danger of being closed and its students and teachers relocated at the end of the year.

A group of parents, teachers and concerned neighbors have formed A Coalition To Save West Broadway Elementary School to try and save the school and work with the School Board and Superintendent to resolve the safety issues with the school and keep this asset in the community. The Coalition will present a statement to the School Board at the School Board meeting TONIGHT, MONDAY, JANUARY 22 at 6:30pm at 797 Westminster Street.

If you have a concern about this, here is a chance to learn a bit more about it.

As many of you know, the West Broadway Elementary School is in danger of being closed and its students and teachers relocated at the end of the year.

A group of parents, teachers and concerned neighbors have formed A Coalition To Save West Broadway Elementary School to try and save the school and work with the School Board and Superintendent to resolve the safety issues with the school and keep this asset in the community. The Coalition will present a statement to the School Board at the School Board meeting TONIGHT, MONDAY, JANUARY 22 at 6:30pm at 797 Westminster Street.

If you have a concern about this, here is a chance to learn a bit more about it.

Archived