The Armory Thread

Liamlunchtray

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I noticed that the gas station next to US Gas appears to be reopen as a used car lot. Bah! Its a such a great location, I was really hoping someone would buy it and develop something good.

Also, the black plastic is still up in the windows of the store front church and I saw the congregation filing in through the back door Sunday.

So I noticed that the gas station next to US Gas appears to be reopen as a used car lot. Bah! Its a such a great location, I was really hoping someone would buy it and develop something good.

Also, the black plastic is still up in the windows of the store front church and I saw the congregation filing in through the back door Sunday.

As soon as I saw them painting the building instead of demolishing it, I knew it was going to be something crappy. Like we really need another crappy auto related business on Westminster.

I'd like nothing more than to see US Gas and that building knocked down and a 5 story building built to the street in its place.

Would've been nice if a group like the WBNA or just a bunch of neighbors with a little bit of money to invest, had bought that US Gas site. There's a lot of places along Westminster that I wish I could afford to buy and adaptively re-use - how about that old brick mill right across from Wiggins...

Would've been nice if a group like the WBNA or just a bunch of neighbors with a little bit of money to invest, had bought that US Gas site. There's a lot of places along Westminster that I wish I could afford to buy and adaptively re-use - how about that old brick mill right across from Wiggins...

In addition to the used-car sales license from the Board of Licenses, if US Gas is proposing to expand a legal non-conforming use to include auto sales, they would also need a use variance from the ZBR. This hasn't come before the ZBR. Moreover, the state agency that regulates auto sales requires that the building be a particular size (2,000 sq ft, I think). This building doesn't appear to be 2,000 square feet so they may not meet the state standard either.

I just called the Building Department. This is an illegal expansion on a non-conforming use. The zoning department staff person was going to give my complaint to the enforcement division, but he told me that the more neighbors that call to complain, the faster code enforcement will act. The code enforcement agent for Armory/West Side is Edward Civito and the number is 421-7768.

Since I was going to call Code Enforcement tomorrow, I decided to swing by US Gas this afternoon and see what was going on. When I drove by though, I didn't see any cars - it's at the corner of Westminster and Dexter, right? Did I miss it or did Code Enforcement already get on their case?

Hey there,

I'm new to this forum as well as Providence--my husband and I just moved to the city and bought a house in the Armory. We're both late 20s/early 30s with professional jobs and community-minded spirits. We're really enjoying the town and love our new neighborhood, but we're having a tough time meeting people outside of our work environments. Does anyone have any suggestions on ways we can meet other progressive, active people? Are there any listservs we could join to help us tune into happenings? Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey there,

I'm new to this forum as well as Providence--my husband and I just moved to the city and bought a house in the Armory. We're both late 20s/early 30s with professional jobs and community-minded spirits. We're really enjoying the town and love our new neighborhood, but we're having a tough time meeting people outside of our work environments. Does anyone have any suggestions on ways we can meet other progressive, active people? Are there any listservs we could join to help us tune into happenings? Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey there,

These went up last week. I am really impressed. i thought they would just strip the paint and repaint the existing wood trim. This looks so much better.

Kind of keeping in style with Lilli Marlene's though. His trimmings are a lot nicer than most places. From the cocktail glasses to the pool table, when he does something, he does it very nicely.

Picture, couldn't resist! I understand these are mahogany. It looks like the copper sills are original - they have a nice crusty patina. This place has really great visibility too, right at the end of Parade Street so you can see it while running laps at Dexter Training Grounds.

Archived