The Armory Thread

Liamlunchtray

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it definitely looks pretty bare bones, from the very slight glance I got while walking by today. Given it's former incarnation on Broad Street (near the Y), I certainly wouldn't expect upscale. I have to imagine, though, they had to put in a kitchen there.

We usually get her jerk chicken, curry chicken and jerk goat, but it's the goat that always makes me want more.

K.

Cool, I hadn't even noticed there was any work going on over there. I'm not too familiar with Jamaican, but I'll check it out.

Any idea what a Trader Joes normally is sq footage wise. I assume its not quite big enough, but boy would I like something like that in this location.

You and me both. We make periodic runs up to the Needham store - we love their prepared foods. I'm surprised that Trader Joe's hasn't already opened a store here - Providence is afterall the second largest city in New England.

Anyone have any ideas on how we can entice Trader Joe's to Providence?

Anyone have any ideas on how we can entice Trader Joe's to Providence?

I don't know, nobody here has ever thought of it before :shades:

I think Ari was actually thinking about getting a group of Prov residents and TJ's people in a room at some point. It is kind of ridiculous that there is one on the Cape and not one in Prov.

So why isn't Trader Joe's interested in coming to Providence?

i've been told that they don't believe we have the right demographic for their needs. Which, btw, has to be the most goofy thing i've ever heard from a retailer. As the only CityState in the country, we are absolutely THE demographic they want. I love TJs and go up once a month, but the more 365 stuff that wholefoods rolls out, the more i find i can get what i need there without the drive. plus, with urban greens working on opening a storefront...

i've been told that they don't believe we have the right demographic for their needs. Which, btw, has to be the most goofy thing i've ever heard from a retailer. As the only CityState in the country, we are absolutely THE demographic they want. I love TJs and go up once a month, but the more 365 stuff that wholefoods rolls out, the more i find i can get what i need there without the drive. plus, with urban greens working on opening a storefront...

If we can get them in a room, I will pledge to eat Trader Joes Frozen Burritos continuously for the duration of the meeting. This will certainly prove that the demographic is here. And its kind of fat. And enjoys burritos.

i've been told that they don't believe we have the right demographic for their needs. Which, btw, has to be the most goofy thing i've ever heard from a retailer.

I've got to wonder what's going on in Trader Joe's HQ'ers... Not the right demographic?? What's the right demographic?? They've got a TJ sitting at the far end of a generic, forgettable, anywhere USA strip plaza across seas of asphalt parking off a highway in Danbury, CT... Danbury, CT!!. There's zero "there" there in Danbury...

What demographic Danbury has that we don't, as someone who grew up in the Danbury metro, is a complete mystery to me...

If TJ doesn't want us, let's just let them go...

[End of TJ rant]

- Garris

That is ridiculous. Worcester has one (in Shrewsbury) for crying out loud!

Put it in freakin' Cranston - just get one here!

There's an empty storefront (with ugly surface parking) right on N. Main st. about a block from Whole Foods. Seems like another perfect spot for TJ's.

If it's the place I'm thinking about, that store is not empty, it just looks that way. They may have took out the gas pumps, but the store is still open.

If TJ doesn't want us, let's just let them go...

That's my feeling, especially as someone who isn't wowed by Trader Joe's (I think it's alright). I think any efforts to sit at a table with someone to convince them to come to Providence would be better spent with a corporation that is more open minded to the idea. And I'd far prefer a local Rhode Island grocer get to make a shot at coming Downcity than spin our wheels trying to woo some out-of-state corporation.

Corner of Harrison/Westminster has a sign up that says "Metropolis Hair and Nail Salon coming soon". Lame. Like I dont already have enough places to get my hair and my nails did.

Agreed. But does it look like a cheapy type place or a more upscale place like the new W salon up the street.

Wait, This is in the new armory condos correct? So perhaps it is more of a nicer place than a cheapy, garish joint. I always felt that space was rather odd and small, not much really could go there.

Agreed. But does it look like a cheapy type place or a more upscale place like the new W salon up the street.

There isnt enough done yet to get a feel for the level of sophistication of the place. It is indeed in the Armory condos, so I would assume it would be at least somewhat classy. Im just always hoping for more retail and less services.

There isnt enough done yet to get a feel for the level of sophistication of the place. It is indeed in the Armory condos, so I would assume it would be at least somewhat classy. Im just always hoping for more retail and less services.

Me too, but a hari and nail place does generate some traffic. Also, I think Jen is right there is not a real walk in salon in that area so it does fit a need.

Hell, i am just glad the place got a tenant. Are all 4 condos above still empty? The injury place really pisses me off not only with their function, but execution. No street entrance, vertical blinds, etc. But a salon will have some life.

Me too, but a hari and nail place does generate some traffic. Also, I think Jen is right there is not a real walk in salon in that area so it does fit a need.

Hell, i am just glad the place got a tenant. Are all 4 condos above still empty? The injury place really pisses me off not only with their function, but execution. No street entrance, vertical blinds, etc. But a salon will have some life.

Near as I can tell the 4 condos are all still empty. The photos I have seen really dont make them look alll that inviting. The ones down the street in the funeral home (west village or whatever it is) look a lot nicer. I dont think they went sleek and modern with the harrison street ones.

i've been told that they don't believe we have the right demographic for their needs.

not their demographic??!? I love that place. in every city I've lived in they've always had the most accessible, best-stocked dumpsters. When I lived in portland (oregon) my friends and I used to live off of their throw-aways almost exclusively -- frozen tiramisu, bottles of wine, asparagus, fontina, wild mushrooms, dened cans of smoked salmon... we lived like little pashas. it was great. get them in here! whole foods locks up their dumpsters and uses compactors which is so not cool!

maybe they'll put one in alco.

I noticed that work seems to have started back up on the storefront next to the Funeral Home condos on westminster. (The one with the diner in the parking lot..) Are the Lilli Marlenes folks still doing this or have plans changed?

Storefront Church now has black plastic draped in all the front windows. There doesnt seem to be as much activity, but they are still doing something in there.

Anyone have an update on the Lawton building?

Archived