Louisiana City Skylines

NCB

Hey, that's awesome, Brian! Congrats on get your pictures posted there. Have you ever thought of applying to become a photographer for Emporis?

Thanks, Nate...

Actually I have. I've had the Emporis application saved on my desktop for a while and have been considering finishing it, but I haven't yet. fridayinla is an Emporis editor and he told me my chances were good at getting accepted.

City-data.com finally posted some of the photos I've been sending them since 2005.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Shreveport-Louisiana.html

Congrats on finally getting some pics on there. Since you had so many difficulties now I wonder if I should bother trying to send them any of my city.

Thanks, Nate...

Actually I have. I've had the Emporis application saved on my desktop for a while and have been considering finishing it, but I haven't yet. fridayinla is an Emporis editor and he told me my chances were good at getting accepted.

That sounds interesting as well. I don't think my city has enough tall buildings to try for something like myself. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

It's been awhile since the Skyline Forum has seen any activity; so I figured it was O.K. to activate the forum once again. I wanted to share some little skyline drawings of my own. It was done on newspaper.

I like tall high-rises mixed with mid-rise/ stadiums/arena/convention centers/City Halls/ Observation towers/brides,etc. Hope yall enjoy! :thumbsup:

downtown059zy2.jpg

downtown060dx8.jpg

downtown061jv9.jpg

downtown024lp2.jpg

Thanks Nate, I appreciate that. Feel free to draw some skylines anytime, I would like to see them.

I guess it could be a scaled-down version of the Superdome. Maybe the Astrodome??

^Thanks Brian, I appreciate that as well. They came out a little blurry and some of the drawing could use a touch-up. Something a little different on the thread.

I guess it could be a scaled-down version of the Superdome. Maybe the Astrodome??

I could see it being the Astrodome too, now that you mention it. I guess the shadowing that you have makes it look like the base of the building curves in a bit, and then curves back out again, like the Superdome. While the Astrodome is just a big cylinder at its base.

:lol:

Hey, uhh...Ryan is it? :P

What's up Brian! How are things up in the SBC?

Yes you had it right the first time, it's Ryan. I dropped the B. Actually it's 'ryan. Unique, right? ;)

Everything is cool here, man. Just getting ready for a busy weekend. I'm going to the Four States Fair in Texarkana on Saturday (I go every year because it's safer than the State Fair of Louisiana in Shreveport) and then I'm going to check out the new zoo on Sunday! Other than that, just been taking pictures and working. :D How's school?

Since we're posting sketchs here's a little quick sketch of Baton Rouge's future skyline I did a couple of weeks ago. I had my notebook at an angle so the builidngs are a little slanted.I used the lines as 100 foot marks.

brsli1.jpg

My dad and I were driving around town and we went downtown and the Chase towers look a lot bigger than they would seem. I think when tall buildings are close together, they put each other in perspective.

Very nice sketch Dan. That's really neat you drew the future BR skyline. Very accurate; I like your 100 ft' interval lines. It will be interesting to see if the new Two City Plaza will be 4th, 5th or 6th tallest? You could add the new Courthouse and the Governmental Bldg to the right of the Shaw Center.

I'm not sure if the proposed Laurel Tower is looking very promising as of now? The project requires millions in federal transportation money; it's hit a snag. I believe Regions Bank will now go to the new Two City Plaza. I think that's why they have decided to add more floors to the tower.

Very nice sketch Dan. That's really neat you drew the future BR skyline. Very accurate; I like your 100 ft' interval lines. It will be interesting to see if the new Two City Plaza will be 4th, 5th or 6th tallest? You could add the new Courthouse and the Governmental Bldg to the right of the Shaw Center.

Thanks. Maybe I'll do another one drawn from a picture.

I'm not sure if the proposed Laurel Tower is looking very promising as of now? The project requires millions in federal transportation money; it's hit a snag. I believe Regions Bank will now go to the new Two City Plaza. I think that's why they have decided to add more floors to the tower.

Ah, I hope it can pull through some how or that'll be another Laurel Tower to bite the dust. :(

Skyline battle is back! San diego vs. Baltimore (Battle of the Coasts). Similar height and similar number of tall buildings in each skyline. Both skylines are edged up against beautiful waterfronts. This one might boil down to preference of old vs. new. I'm leaning towards Baltimore but this one might be a toss-up.

San diego:

# buildings 400'+ : 11

# buildings 200'+ : 38

Tallest: One America Plaza. 500 ft; 34 stories

Photos:

sandiegoskyline.jpg

sandiegoskyline2.jpg

sandiegoskyline3.jpg

Baltimore:

# buildings 400'+ : 7

# buildings 200'+ : 40

Tallest: Legg Mason Building. 529 ft; 40 stories

Photos:

baltimoreskyline2.jpg

baltimoreskyline1.jpg

baltimore1B.jpg

Great match-up bluff. Good things come to those who wait. This battle goes to overtime bec. it's such a close call. Like you said; it's a matter of prefrence. The Inner Harbor area/Baltimore is very nice and blends nicely with old and new. I know a new tallest is also in the works; But in the end San Diego wins with the mountains in the backdrop and a few more newer looking 400'+ high-rises. And BTW SD does have a 500' ordinance; so that's as tall as it gets.

Very nice skyline battle! This is definately another tough one. San Diego's skyline is beautiful, and I love the look of it, especially considering they have a 500' height limit ordinance in place there. The natural beauty of the water and mountains mixing in with the very nicely designed modern buildings is top notch, IMO. However, I'm always a sucker for old, gritty, and dense skylines and areas, and for that, Baltimore takes it for me. Baltimore's skyline is much more impressive in person, as is the entire city for that matter. I'm sure Tommy would agree with me there. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a quick skyline battle to get the thread moving again; "Florida: Battle for Second."

Tampa

City population: 325,989

Metro population: 2,647,658

Tallest building: AmSouth Building- 579 feet

Number of buildings above 400 feet: 6

Number of buildings above 200 feet: 17

Tampa_skyline_from_Davis%20Island_600x400_85.jpg

imageLICENSEDfrom.www.panoramas.com.jpg

Tampa_skyline.jpg

Jacksonville

City population: 782,623

Metro population: 1,321,939