Louisiana City Skylines

NCB

Having been to both cities to visit family and seeing the skylines in person...I would definitely have to vote for Austin. It is much more dense and is getting taller as the years go by. It also is more alive during all times of the day...whereas downtown PHX closes up at night. The PHX skyline is also not very impressive in person. It lacks height and looks more suburban as you drive through it...like Metairie with a few more buildings. However, I do think the capitol building and grounds are very beautiful in PHX.

I also much prefer Austin's skyline to Phoenix's. Both don't have much height, but Austin's skyline just looks much better, and it looks like the Austin skyline could be huge in a few years, with all of the projects being planned there.

Also, just a little FYI, Phoenix doesn't have much height because it is so sprawled, like many have already mentioned, but there is also a 500 foot limit on all buildings there, which is a major reason why there skyline does look alot like "Metairie with a few more buildings." :lol:

Alright guys, now that I'm back from Chicago, I have to ask the almighty question, the skyline ranking of all skyline rankings, "the big one."

What is your favorite skyline in the nation; is it Chicago, or is it New York? Or is it...dare I say...neither???

Alright guys, now that I'm back from Chicago, I have to ask the almighty question, the skyline ranking of all skyline rankings, "the big one."

What is your favorite skyline in the nation; is it Chicago, or is it New York? Or is it...dare I say...neither???

Damn, Nate, this one is tough.

I LOVE Chicago for many reasons, and I love their skyline. It just seems cleaner and somewhat less cluttered than New Yorks, although Chicago definitely has its share of clutter. But I really like the Hancock and Sears Towers, and that sways me toward Chicago.

As far as sheer size, New York would be the winner. But on the category of overall impressiveness, Chicago takes it for me. I just LOVE that skyline. :wub::wub::wub:

Well, I'm partial to New York's skyline. Being from there helps :lol: , but it isn't the reason I chose it. Like Brian had said, this is very hard to decide on one clear cut winner. Cities like Chicago and New York cease to amaze me, in the fact that there's something about them that just captures your attention. Maybe it's their names, maybe its the amount of people that visit and live there, or maybe its just the astounding variety of culture, architecture, and height in each one.

Here are some building height stats from some similar sized(metro) Southern cities:

New Orleans

Buildings above 600 feet: 2

Buildings above 400 feet: 12

Buildings above 200 feet: 40

Nashville

Buildings above 600 feet: 1

Buildings above 400 feet: 5

Buildings above 200 feet: 22

Memphis

Buildings above 600 feet: 0

Buildings above 400 feet: 3

Buildings above 200 feet: 14

Charlotte

Buildings above 400 feet: 9

Buildings above 200 feet: 20

Jacksonville

Buildings above 600 feet: 1

Buildings above 400 feet: 4

Buildings above 200 feet: 16

Richmond

Buildings above 400 feet: 2

Louisville

Buildings above 400 feet: 4

Buildings above 200 feet: 17

Austin

Buildings above 400 feet: 1

Wow, thanks for the stats!

New Orleans with 40 buildings taller than 200' dominates the list compared to the rest. And it's amazing to see all the cities listed that have nearly the same numbers of 200' buildings.

Yep. Looks Charlotte is the next closest, and then maybe Nashville? Very good compilation by Nate, and very informative. New Orleans is still the champ, baby! :D

And here are some building height stats comparing Louisiana's 3 largest cities:

New Orleans

Baton Rouge

Buildings above 200 feet: 5

Shrevport

Buildings above 400 feet: 0

Buildings above 200 feet: 6

You know, I USED to like Shreveport's skyline...until I found out that has 0 buildings over 400 feet tall.

Nice job, BRIAN! <_<

Rediculous.

Absolutely Rediculous. :sick:

And here are some building height stats comparing Louisiana's 3 largest cities:

New Orleans

Baton Rouge

Buildings above 200 feet: 5

Shrevport

Buildings above 400 feet: 0

Buildings above 200 feet: 6

You know, I USED to like Shreveport's skyline...until I found out that has 0 buildings over 400 feet tall.

Nice job, BRIAN! <_<

Rediculous.

Absolutely Rediculous. :sick:

:lol:

Actually we have a building that's well over 400 feet, but it's still inside my head and I won't let it out.

Actually we have a building that's well over 400 feet, but it's still inside my head and I won't let it out.

Oh, well...alright then, that just about changes everything.

But I still don't like Shrveport's skyline anymore! -_-

And it's still rediculous! :sick:

Ah, the good ole "rudeness to a moderator," that'll be a 5 dayer. Anything else, sir? :stop:

Alright, now that that's over, lets get back to some skyline talk. ;)

Sorry, it was for lack of a more intelligent response. :lol:

Okay, skyline talk...

Shreveport skyline = decent for a city of 200,000!

Bossier City skyline = very good for a city of 60,000! The tallest hotel in the area, 26 floors, and a 12-story hotel make up Bossier City's skyline. And if the Marriott is ever built onto the Bass Pro Shop, Bossier City could have another 10-15 story hotel.

Yea, my favorite part of Shreveport's skykine is that building that's taller than 400 feet! I love that!

Oh...oh yea...

Ouch. :cry:

Alright, I just can't stop!

In your own words: :stop:

We may not have any buildings over 400' tall, except for the ones in my head (along with the voices,) but we do have some great cultural foods! :D I had Greek tonight, and that's why I drove all the way to southeast Shreveport. I was craving Greek. There was a fire recently at one of Shreveport's Greek restaurants so while that place is being repaired we're down to just one.

^Alright, I could turn a Greek restaurant into a joke about Shreveport not having a building taller than 400 feet, but I'll be the bigger man here, and stop with all of the insults and violence. ;)

Afterall, I am the law around these here parts...

^Alright, I could turn a Greek restaurant into a joke about Shreveport not having a building taller than 400 feet, but I'll be the bigger man here, and stop with all of the insults and violence. ;)

Afterall, I am the law around these here parts...

Metro.m and Neo are the real Sheriffs, Barney. :lol:

But seriously, Greek is excellent! I crave it, but the only two were both in southeast Shreveport. And the only one that is still open right now is in the middle of a bad construction zone. I spent 20 minutes driving the last couple of miles just to eat there. It was so worth it, though!

And at the very end, I finally realized that my waiter was actually a waitress.

Archived