Fulton / Rockett's Landing

wrldcoupe4

Some info on the proposed marina from Richmond.com's "Ask the Mayor"...

I am concerned that the City's proposed public marina will be so small that it will be unable to cover its operating expenses unless it is leased and combined with the neighboring Rocketts Landing marina. Who will be doing the feasibility study?

George B. Pinckney

Fan District

The City of Richmond's permit application with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is for the public 73-slip marina at Intermediate Terminal. The feasibility study will be completed by the City with the cooperation of Langley McDonald, the marina design engineering firm.

If approved, the marina will be a public-private joint venture between the City, which would oversee and approve of the use of the dock, and the WVS Corporation, the developer of The Villages at Rocketts Landing. WVS has submitted a separate joint permit application to construct an approximate 100-slip private marina. These two marinas would be managed as a single entity with one harbormaster and shared amenities such as a fueling station. The City's public marina, which could be ready as soon as Spring 2009, will promote new recreational boating opportunities to the Richmond region and new tourism opportunities by attracting cruise ships from Hampton Roads as well as boaters traveling the Intracoastal Waterway.

Mayor Wilder wishes to thank the public for its overwhelming outpouring of concern and support through "Ask the Mayor." Your feedback is important and Mayor Wilder wants you to know that your views will be taken into consideration as issues are examined. Please note that the mayor refrains from responding to specific questions relating to employment, personnel issues, private business proposals or policy matters within the jurisdiction of the state and federal levels of government.

Edited by ric75

I like the green roofs on the townhomes, but I could do without those awkwardly placed doorways on top of them. Wish there was some way to avoid placing those there altogether. More townhomes are supposed to go in between Fall Line and Sky Line, right?

Hatches please, those look awful. Atleast, they should be less visible from the ground, but certainly look terrible in the skyline view. I am surprised to see glass in those doors.

Hey I had a great time on sunday. I got to go eat at Stool Pigeons and then go to La Difference to look around then the best part came last. I went out to Rocketts Landing and got a grand tour of the construction site. A realtor was doing an open house and showed us one of the units in the cedar works building. He also mentioned that they are planning to expand rocketts landing on the other side of the river with a bridge crossing the river from rocketts landing is what he told me and my cousin. But it was a great tour. He showed us the townhomes and the backs of them which have backside garages. They also have another row of townhomes being built next to the water tower. But it was an amazing tour and 210 Rock is becoming very nice looking. But I didnt see any glass on it yet. It looked like steel work still. But overall I was so thrilled with getting a grand tour of Rocketts Landing. Soon I am going to go to the preview center with my cousin possibly on a saturday if they are open. I was going to take the camera but I have lost my cord to upload my pictures to my computer.

Ok... now I have thought it neat to develop the other side of the river... although a bridge... is not a good idea at that point unless it's high and if it's high, expect Church Hill to chime in against it if it's not placed in the right spot. Remember, that part of the James is still navigatable by smaller ocean-going ships.

Thanks Joey. Looks like I'll have to go and put in some suggestions... such as saving this massive tree that must have been touched by Powhatan himself on the other side of the river.

Government agencies and probably the Coast Guard would prohibit any type of brige crossing that stretch of the James unless it soared about 100+ feet above high tide. The Intermediate Terminal just upstream is still a viable port. Navigable waterways, including Kanawa Canal, are subject to restrictive access.

If anyone noticed, the new Master Plan does not address reopening the Great Ship Lock or repair of the N/S bascule bridge that blocks boat traffic on the canal. I believe such improvements would tie in with governmental decrees.

Joey, are you sure the guy wasn't referring to continued construction "down" river and not "across" it? Or perhaps he was referring to Rocketts' proposed marina on the north river bank.