Fulton / Rockett's Landing

wrldcoupe4

3 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Building Permits have been filed for the 5 story mixed used building at 501 Orleans Rd. 

Excellent news!!! Is this, by chance, connected to the larger Fulton Yards development?

Just to get our gyroscopes pointed in the right direction, here's the location of 501 Orleans Street in Fulton:

Screenshot (3455).png

Screenshot (3461).png

Screenshot (3460).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Here's the RT-D's reporting on the planning commission voting to approve the residential and office development in Rockett's that was part of @RVABizSenseMike's round-up in RBS last week. Haven't seen this graphic before - so it gives us a good indication of where this might go.

Given that probably 80% (or more) of the gorgeous redevelopment in Rockett's has actually been in HENRICO and not in the city, it'll be nice to see the city actually get in on the action on this one.

BTW - does anyone have any read or that second five (or six?)-story apartment building that was supposed to be built north of that big new building on the city side of Rockett's? Block 8 (or Block 6 or whatever - I can't remember). Wonder if that one is anywhere close to getting started?

From Friday's Richmond Times-Dispatch:

https://richmond.com/news/local/business/real-estate/richmond-rocketts-landing-development/article_4eedb61a-c68c-11ee-bede-73ccc1196686.html#tracking-source=mp-in-article

65c526940b9d7.image.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Here's the RT-D's reporting on the planning commission voting to approve the residential and office development in Rockett's that was part of @RVABizSenseMike's round-up in RBS last week. Haven't seen this graphic before - so it gives us a good indication of where this might go.

Given that probably 80% (or more) of the gorgeous redevelopment in Rockett's has actually been in HENRICO and not in the city, it'll be nice to see the city actually get in on the action on this one.

BTW - does anyone have any read or that second five (or six?)-story apartment building that was supposed to be built north of that big new building on the city side of Rockett's? Block 8 (or Block 6 or whatever - I can't remember). Wonder if that one is anywhere close to getting started?

From Friday's Richmond Times-Dispatch:

https://richmond.com/news/local/business/real-estate/richmond-rocketts-landing-development/article_4eedb61a-c68c-11ee-bede-73ccc1196686.html#tracking-source=mp-in-article

65c526940b9d7.image.jpg

This was just a rezoning to *allow* for a 12 story building yet the RT-D has the very misleading headline "Riverfront Development Planned for Rockett's Landing" as if a developer is already doing this. My initial thought was being surprised the RT-D actually beat BizSense to the punch on this new development as I hadn't seen it there. Once I read the article I was reminded what I already knew, that @RVABizSenseMike has way better reporting than the local rag.

Still really disappointed that not only Echo Harbor got killed but now they turned that area into a park (as if there isn't already massive park space right in the area) so now nothing will ever go there and it will forever be a big gap failing to properly link downtown to the riverfront & Rockett's Landing.

Edited by 123fakestreet
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 123fakestreet said:

This was just a rezoning to *allow* for a 12 story building yet the RT-D has the very misleading headline "Riverfront Development Planned for Rockett's Landing" as if a developer is already doing this. My initial thought was being surprised the RT-D actually beat BizSense to the punch on this new development as I hadn't seen it there. Once I read the article I was reminded what I already knew, that @RVABizSenseMike has way better reporting than the local rag.

Still really disappointed that not only Echo Harbor got killed but now they turned that area into a park (as if there isn't already massive park space right in the area) so now nothing will ever go there and it will forever be a big gap failing to properly link downtown to the riverfront & Rockett's Landing.

Interestingly, @123fakestreet - you originally posted the RBS reporting on this project back in March of last year.

https://forum.urbanplanet.org/topic/14251-fulton-rocketts-landing/?do=findComment&comment=1859851

Here's the original RBS story (for those who can access RBS archives)

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/03/28/new-rocketts-landing-section-welcomes-first-residents-developer-eyes-12-to-14-story-tower-next-door/

Regarding Echo Harbor: image.png.51ec784fdbc5aa6dcfb29297b11a9602.png!! Fully agreed. That's another really promising project that got torpedoed by the NIMBYs and preservationists. Ugh...  As many of us have stated (much to the consternation of some) - it's not like RVA lacks for green space or "natural" (read: undeveloped) riverfront. Unbelievably, there was a reader commenting on the RT-D article lamenting the "lack" of green space and open riverfront in Richmond. All because a developer wants to build on a grand, whopping total of TWO blocks of riverfront property in the far East End. I mean - c'mon folks - it's not like the JRPS isn't beyond expansive. It's not like the city isn't ADDING to it with the purchase of Mayo Island. It's not like the riverfront along the James will EVER be confused with Manhattan's riverfront along either the Hudson, the East or the Harlem rivers. Dose of reality, please!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Interestingly, @123fakestreet - you originally posted the RBS reporting on this project back in March of last year.

https://forum.urbanplanet.org/topic/14251-fulton-rocketts-landing/?do=findComment&comment=1859851

Here's the original RBS story (for those who can access RBS archives)

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/03/28/new-rocketts-landing-section-welcomes-first-residents-developer-eyes-12-to-14-story-tower-next-door/

Regarding Echo Harbor: image.png.51ec784fdbc5aa6dcfb29297b11a9602.png!! Fully agreed. That's another really promising project that got torpedoed by the NIMBYs and preservationists. Ugh...  As many of us have stated (much to the consternation of some) - it's not like RVA lacks for green space or "natural" (read: undeveloped) riverfront. Unbelievably, there was a reader commenting on the RT-D article lamenting the "lack" of green space and open riverfront in Richmond. All because a developer wants to build on a grand, whopping total of TWO blocks of riverfront property in the far East End. I mean - c'mon folks - it's not like the JRPS isn't beyond expansive. It's not like the city isn't ADDING to it with the purchase of Mayo Island. It's not like the riverfront along the James will EVER be confused with Manhattan's riverfront along either the Hudson, the East or the Harlem rivers. Dose of reality, please!

Well BizSense definitely had it first! Maybe I overlooked it but I still don't see where anyone has actually committed to this,  looks like it was very iffy back then and it's just as iffy now. Still misleading headline from RTD.

• Like 1