Centennial Tower

eandslee

Well I wasn't aware of that. So no demo or construction permits have been posted yet?

They chopped down all the trees in front of the proposed project and evicted everyone from all the properties involved.

Shak would know..BUT, is he sworn to secrecy? :ph34r:

Well I wasn't aware of that. So no demo or construction permits have been posted yet?

Correct, and you can actually check all this info via the Dept of Community Development's web page.

Go to http://www.richmondgov.com/departments/communityDev/ and click on "Permits Web Inquiry." Once there, (to make it easy), only fill in E Main St and press enter. It will list all permit applications, approvals, and completion dates for all properties on E. Main St. The only thing probably this year relating to Centennial Tower is a permit approved for erecting barricades which was applied for months ago.

No demo permits applied for, no building permits applied for, expired asbestos permits, and no POD....

I'm not saying it's dead by any means, but the reality of the housing market may have an impact on the timescale. Just my outsider's view though...

Correct, and you can actually check all this info via the Dept of Community Development's web page.

Go to http://www.richmondgov.com/departments/communityDev/ and click on "Permits Web Inquiry." Once there, (to make it easy), only fill in E Main St and press enter. It will list all permit applications, approvals, and completion dates for all properties on E. Main St. The only thing probably this year relating to Centennial Tower is a permit approved for erecting barricades which was applied for months ago.

No demo permits applied for, no building permits applied for, expired asbestos permits, and no POD....

I'm not saying it's dead by any means, but the reality of the housing market may have an impact on the timescale. Just my outsider's view though...

Thanks for that great link coupe! Never realized that search engine was available.

I read this article this morning and couldn't help but think about this project. I'm not buying into the title... personally I think it's just the business of news to generate as much hype/fear over the issues they are discussing, however it's something we should be paying attention to and I'm glad Pantele is working hard to keep jobs here. Perhaps they can move the headquarters in name only and keep employees here in the twin towers ;)

Falling Dominoes

On a small positive note, the place on 17th that I had noticed permits in earlier seems busy with activity according to the permit search engine. Nice to see another empty space get fixed up down there.

That's a pretty disquieting story about Wachovia Securities' departure. Although Phillip Morris may be bringing (or adding) 2500 workers to its local payroll, they won't be downtown. Pantele mentions 3 high rises in the discussion stages for downtown ranging in height from 15 to 20 stories, but if hundreds of square feet become available in Wachovia Securities present home at Riverfront there'll be little need for new towers. Williams Mullen probably would lease vacant space and forego a new building on the triangle plot.

A serious bump on the road to Richmond's economic turn-a-round and it may have some bearing on the cooling of Goodstein's Centennial plans.

I wonder how much Doug Wilder is using his Nationally known prominence to attract business downtown?

Edited by burt

That's a pretty disquieting story about Wachovia Securities' departure. Although Phillip Morris may be bringing (or adding) 2500 workers to its local payroll, they won't be downtown. Pantele mentions 3 high rises in the discussion stages for downtown ranging in height from 15 to 20 stories, but if hundreds of square feet become available in Wachovia Securities present home at Riverfront there'll be little need for new towers. Williams Mullen probably would lease vacant space and forego a new building on the triangle plot.

A serious bump on the road to Richmond's economic turn-a-round and it may have some bearing on the cooling of Goodstein's Centennial plans.

I wonder how much Doug Wilder is using his Nationally known prominence to attract business downtown?

Burt, It is never as bad as the media portrays. Fear not. I remember the pilot trying to proclaim all sorts of economic apocalypse due to the ford plant closure. The region didn't skip a beat. Most of the lost jobs have already been absorbed and the regions economy actually grew 3%. Good news doesn't sell newspapers nearly as well as bad news does. It's all hype. I expect the actual outcome to be far less severe than the styleweekly report suggest.

Burt, It is never as bad as the media portrays. Fear not. I remember the pilot trying to proclaim all sorts of economic apocalypse due to the ford plant closure. The region didn't skip a beat. Most of the lost jobs have already been absorbed and the regions economy actually grew 3%. Good news doesn't sell newspapers nearly as well as bad news does. It's all hype. I expect the actual outcome to be far less severe than the styleweekly report suggest.

Thanks for your reassurances, vdogg, and hope you are correct.

Although Phillip Morris may be bringing (or adding) 2500 workers to its local payroll, they won't be downtown.

While many of these jobs wont be downtown, dont forget the research labs. They're bringing in lots of high paying jobs (80-100K+). I've heard people ask who's going to be buying up these expensive condos - its these people who are by and large coming in from larger metro areas and looking for an urban lifestyle. I've been at MCV for several years now and know many postdocs/young faculty who rent in Tobacco Row. I've also heard complaints about the lack of street level retail in the biotech park - but this MCV-biotech park-Philip Morris corridor is an engine for bringing potential "come heres" downtown...

Remember, although you may have a lot of highly paid people living downtown, it's not enough to bring in retail. Urban life in Richmond just can't compete with the sucess of the suburbs where everywhere you turn you can get whatever you want... and more and more being added to it. I guess those highly paid people out there are way more important.

Remember, although you may have a lot of highly paid people living downtown, it's not enough to bring in retail. Urban life in Richmond just can't compete with the sucess of the suburbs where everywhere you turn you can get whatever you want... and more and more being added to it. I guess those highly paid people out there are way more important.

:cry: I guess living in Berry Burk I dont earn enought to justify street level retail. But maybe with Miller and Rhodes, Centennial Towers, The Carpenter Center, and the Federal Building enough people are around to justify it. Its like BlackFinns space... stayed empty for a long time, then someone is bold enough to open and just look at the flood of people coming in... wonder what would happen if a real shopping destination opened up in the spaces I just reeled off.

Holy moly... what a good idea, street level idea DOWNTOWN!

Im a genius! Ill be rich!!

Baby, you're a rich man!

Well it's still not enough because Woodlake is beating your butt and so are Wellesley and Wyndham.... Hmm maybe we should call downtown Wowntown... those W's have success.

Baby, you're a rich man!

Well it's still not enough because Woodlake is beating your butt and so are Wellesley and Wyndham.... Hmm maybe we should call downtown Wowntown... those W's have success.

yes but at least I dont have soccer moms racing around everywhere polluting the world in their minivans or over-large suvs of smog.

They are winning the battle... not the war ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Cruised by the site today and noticed some people either taking down or installing a globe camera under the eaves of a building there along that block of Main Street. Anyone know anything about that?

Well, if the camera is on one of the condemned buildings, they certainly wouldn't be putting one up if construction is to begin. If it's across the street, it could be a good sign if the cam is going up -- a bad sign if it's coming down.

Isn't there a way to find out the status of Centennial? If there's a construction union in Richmond they would know when and if workers will be needed on site.

I hope the fizzling housing bubble has not changed the mind and plans of Goodstein & Co.

Well, if the camera is on one of the condemned buildings, they certainly wouldn't be putting one up if construction is to begin. If it's across the street, it could be a good sign if the cam is going up -- a bad sign if it's coming down.

Isn't there a way to find out the status of Centennial? If there's a construction union in Richmond they would know when and if workers will be needed on site.

I hope the fizzling housing bubble has not changed the mind and plans of Goodstein & Co.

Burt, it's on the side where construction should be taking place. Hopefully a sign that something is still going on at the site.

Hmmmm. Wonder why they would put up a cam on a building they're getting ready to pull down?

Well I'm not certain it's going up. It could very well be that camera was always there and I only noticed it this time around because a couple of people were on stepladders working on it.

I think there had been a camera in on one of the buildings somewhere midblock where Centennial will be built.

IF it's a go, where do you think they will put a live web cam?

Also, now that Vistas is finished, I wonder how much longer their cam will remain up. And does anybody know where Vista's cam is? I would guess on ROTJ's roof.

Vistas cam is on the roof of the office tower at ROTJ.

I'm not sure what Goodstein would do for a live cam... I imagine they could negotiate a location with a nearby building. Before I worry about web cams I'd like to see some plans submitted to the city first!!! I heard demo will take place in 4-8 weeks but can't confirm that.