Centennial Tower

eandslee

Donald Trump is building another of his Trump Towers -- this one in New Orleans. It will be 70 sories high with a spire, totaling 830 feet. It will have parking hospitality and residential with some retail on a full city block.

The word "Condotel" is used to describe the residential units. Owners, with permission, could rent out their space on a nightly basis like hotels.

Maybe Centennial should investigate this idea.

We may have need to worry since Centennial was not even mentioned at yesterday's Seeing is Believing presentation.

Grrrr... the last thing downtown needs is more squatters. :angry: Hope they have the decency to sell those properties and not demo them if they are backing out.

It worked fine yesterday, but trying to see the video again today has been unsuccessful. Any suggestions? Wonder what I'm doing wrong?

I couldn't get it to work either Burt. I wish I could have seen the video - they're so much better than just reading the text.

I couldn't get it to work either Burt. I wish I could have seen the video - they're so much better than just reading the text.

I couldn't find any text, either, Eric -- except for the short introduction. I'm sorry you didn't see the video because it was very informative.

Keep your eye on CBS tonight at about 5:40PM Eastern Daylight. It's VCU up agains Pittsburgh.

The following web site posted on RCW has the written text. Let's see if it works here. And note that it hints that the building may be 2 stories higher :)

http://www.nbc12.com/home/6543127.htm]

Rats!! It doesn't work, but you can read it at Richmond City Watch under New Developments posted there by our friend Blake.

The story says: 3 parking levels; one level of retail; 4 floors of office and hotel; 2 floors of apartments (that's new!) and 10 floors of condos. "500,000 square feet packed into a 20 to 22 story high rise."

Edited by burt

I can't wait to watch this building go up. We've all been waiting for so long to see something this tall rise in Richmond since the early 1990s with the Riverside Towers development. Then, if the other rumored tower goes up with some significant height, it would just make things even sweeter! Groundbreaking for this project can't come soon enough!

I can't wait to watch this building go up. We've all been waiting for so long to see something this tall rise in Richmond since the early 1990s with the Riverside Towers development. Then, if the other rumored tower goes up with some significant height, it would just make things even sweeter! Groundbreaking for this project can't come soon enough!

Do you suppose those 3 floors of parking will be underground? That would reduce the height to 17 stories.

Do you suppose those 3 floors of parking will be underground? That would reduce the height to 17 stories.

I'm not sure, but I hope it is above ground and adds 3 stories onto the building height. Somehow I think that whether it will be above or underground, the building will still top out at 20-22 stories (hopefully, 22 stories or taller). :whistling:

I'm not sure, but I hope it is above ground and adds 3 stories onto the building height. Somehow I think that whether it will be above or underground, the building will still top out at 20-22 stories (hopefully, 22 stories or taller). :whistling:

Yea, I think parking will be above ground because it was worded sort of like, "from the ground up, it will have three levels of parking..." etc. etc."

I wonder if the hotel is still going to be a Courtyard by Marriott?

Edited by burt

It's exciting to hear that this project will be starting soon! Demo work in 5-10 weeks is promising. According to NBC12's report, construction should start this summer. Also, something I don't think any of us really realized... if they had gone for the two tower approach, they would have built only 1 at a time. Thus, we could have been stuck with a tower that was never built (remember the Monroe).

The video is working pretty well right now, but watch it while you can because NBC12's pages expire.

Edited by wrldcoupe4

There are "NO PARKING on Sunday" signs in front of the buildings where Centennial Tower will be built. I assume the trees will be coming down. It's not big news really, other than to say that it is a sign that things are moving forward.

Coupe, the trees were cut down when I passed Sunday, though the stumps were still visible.

Edited by burt

Coupe, the trees were cut down when I passed Sunday, though the stumps were still visible.

...and a permit for closing the sidewalk and curb lane has been posted on the door of 511 East Main (Goodstein's office). Permit expires late June of 2007.

Goodstein has moved out of 511 E. Main. No one is left.

I spoke with Steve Stats from Goodstein last Friday. He indicated that asbestos removal will be starting VERY soon and that the structures will be demo'ed in about 4 to 6 weeks. The height of Centennial Tower will be about the same as Main Street Center, however the tower will stand out more especially during the night. The two "concrete" looking structures on top will be totally illuminating at night.

And I hope they don't do a City Hall at the top. Man the more I look at it, the more tacky it gets... and Riverfront Plaza has a string here and there lit and Riverside... turn it off already! I hope we can get other buildings downtown to be lit ... properly.

• 4 weeks later...