Fifth Third Park | $425 million MiLB Stadium + Mixed-Use Development

gman430

On 10/5/2023 at 3:26 PM, mainonmain said:

I wonder when the owner of the Greenville Drive will whine and cry some more about this project. I hope they get a video of that and play it on the Jumbotron before every home game.

I hope the Southern and Big South conferences will move their baseball tournaments to Spartanburg as well.  

• Like 2

• Spartan changed the title to $425 million downtown development with minor league baseball stadium
  • 2 weeks later...

The baseball stadium will go before the DRB for preliminary conceptual approval at their November 7 meeting.  Address is listed as 300 West Henry, which is the southwest corner of the site (near the RR tracks).  Agenda packet should be added to the website next week, which should have renderings / site plans.

12 minutes ago, gman430 said:

No renderings of the mixed use buildings surrounding the ballpark? Alrighty then. 

The ballpark is the #1 priority right now, as it has a very tight timeline that it must meet.  The head of Diamond Holdings or the MiLB rep said as much in their comments at the groundbreaking: they have no plan-B.  Thus it's not surprising that the stadium is the main focus right now.  Here's a reminder of the overall project timeline from the development agreement:

84058659_Coretimeline.jpg.bc6efec3089387f4a87b4fec63909987.jpg

The stadium will be getting relatively close to completion before anything else starts.  Hopefully we will get a look at the full development site plan at the November 7 DRB meeting.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

Very nice project for Spartanburg, this will be huge. I notice the cost went from 250MM to 425MM; inflation I guess! BTW, the pics of the stadium look way more than 3500 seats. I guess plus the boxes and grass bern it could hold as much as 4000? It looks bigger than Flour Field in a couple of those renderings.

They added some development components (extra office building, hotel and another parking deck) beyond the ballpark site (including the Herald-Journal block), so not just inflation.  I'm pretty sure that 3500 figure was always just general seating; the boxes, table seating, grass, etc are added on top of that.  So possibly 4000+.  But still much smaller than Fluor Field (6700).

Edited by westsider28

1 hour ago, Sparkleman said:

Can we name the team something simple like Cardinals or maybe Rangers since that is what we are an affiliate and not something outlandish like Spartanburgers or Peaches?

I feel its gonna turn out corny but am hoping for the best. 

Best not to name after affiliates, as those tend to change.  I think you're going to be disappointed, because the trend in minor league baseball has been toward more clever/absurd names of late.  (i.e. Rocket City Trash Pandas, Amarillo Sod Poodles, Beloit Sky Carp, Gastonia Honey Hunters, etc.)

• Like 1