Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

I was insinuating that the Citrus Bowl is clearly not a suitable facility for this. I would know, I'm a wrestling fan. Our local government must have bribed someone.

Or given them the sweetest deal imaginable... ( IE. Anything they wanted)

This whole event strikes me as a funny way of making the renovation the citrus bowl look viable. Don't get me wrong, I'm pro building the new facilities but the timing of this just seems funny.

I was there yesterday. They said they were working on the deal for over 6 months. Vince was there, Mean Jean Oakland, Batista, John Cena, Ashley, and another woman I had never heard of. They all were nice and stayed to take photos and sign autographs. The event will ne 5 days long and will be held at the Citrus Bowl and the Arena. It was really cool though I have not watched wrestling since college. But I am glad I recognized some of the entertainers.

Heh? If you're referring to crowd size, there's a tiny difference between 12,000 and 70,000. But that's not why the Citrus Bowl is generally unsuitable. If this was going to happen, they should have waited for our new arena... if it ever gets built.

Am I speaking Greek? I think I just need to spell it out with regards to what I was trying to say.

1. Ford Field is where the Detroit Lions play; NFL. THe place packs ove 60k. Therefore, crowd size is consistent with the Citrus Bowl.

2. Predators-- typically lure a sizeable redneckish crowd. THe Citrus Bowl, which has hosted many a redneck-type of event, like the Monster Truck shows, is suitable for such an event and the WWE.

that's about the size of it.

Now, on a more serious note, they do need to spruce up the facility and its amenities.

Edited by JRS1

So who thinks they'll actually try to get the Citrus Bowl fixed before this happens? It'll be a pretty sorry presentation otherwise. Hopefully the city can use the boost it'll bring to our economy to get the other projects going.

Isn't it 6 months from now? No way.

2. Predators-- typically lure a sizeable redneckish crowd. THe Citrus Bowl, which has hosted many a redneck-type of event, like the Monster Truck shows, is suitable for such an event and the WWE.

I actually had a hunch that you were trying to insult both wrestling and Preds fans, but I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt. That'll be the last time. :rolleyes: I fail to see what your ignorant generalizations have to do with the state of the Citrus Bowl (especially since the Preds play in Amway Arena. You know, being an Arena Football team and all.) In reality, the Citrus Bowl is "too redneck" to host WrestleMania - which was my point all along.

Isn't it 6 months from now? No way.

March 30th, 2008.

Edited by F-L-A

It would be cool if they plan to take some of the money (there should be plenty of it) made on the event and put it into the revitalizing project..?

Quotes from the Sentintel..

"WrestleMania has grown into a global sensation. In less than 2 weeks, on Sunday, April 1st, WrestleMania 23 at Detroit’s Ford Field will host fans from 23 countries, all 50 states and 9 Canadian provinces. Millions more in 90 countries will watch it on pay-per-view."

"According to figures generated by the Central Florida Sports Commission, WrestleMania 24 is expected to pump an estimated $25 million into the local economy, while creating jobs and generating the type of excitement that a world class event brings to a world class city. "

Edited by MaXxlife

It would be cool if they plan to take some of the money (there should be plenty of it) made on the event and put it into the revitalizing project..?

It would be hard to make that work. The $25 million "pumped into the area economy" isn't profit per se, and it isn't going to a single entity that can invest in the rehab. It goes to restarants, hotels, vendors, taxis, stores, etc. etc. etc. ... but the impact is big and it gets spent more than once. Example: you pay $50 at a restaraunt, which gets put in paychecks ... and respent; it pays for food vendors, which gets put in paychecks and respent. In other words ... it reverberates around for a while. And each time it gets spent a few more dollars get collected back as taxes which goes to paychecks and schools etc.

I think it's great that it's pumping that money in locally, and it shows that if a rehab can increase these kind of shows it will basically make the rehab investment worth it ... it just isn't something that can be rolled back into the project itself.

It would be hard to make that work. The $25 million "pumped into the area economy" isn't profit per se, and it isn't going to a single entity that can invest in the rehab. It goes to restarants, hotels, vendors, taxis, stores, etc. etc. etc. ... but the impact is big and it gets spent more than once. Example: you pay $50 at a restaraunt, which gets put in paychecks ... and respent; it pays for food vendors, which gets put in paychecks and respent. In other words ... it reverberates around for a while. And each time it gets spent a few more dollars get collected back as taxes which goes to paychecks and schools etc.

I think it's great that it's pumping that money in locally, and it shows that if a rehab can increase these kind of shows it will basically make the rehab investment worth it ... it just isn't something that can be rolled back into the project itself.

I understand that concept, but it really is crap to pump up the figures. You can say the same thing about every dollar that I spend. And you can try to say that the money is coming from out of state and that is different than the money that I earn. The food that is ordered is probably coming from a large corporation out of state and that money is leaving to the corporate HQ and that isn't measured into the equations and it can't be. Most local agencies like to say that money spent on their industry or event always has 2.5 economic multiplier. It's fudging the numbers to make any cause seem like more. That $25MM should really be published as $10MM. That is what is truly expected to enter our economy.

The Sports Commission has a specific formula they use (and modify) to generate what they see as "impact dollars" that an event creates. The formula encompasses a lot of factors, but for example : Using the estimated number of people expected to attend the major element is hotel rooms expected to be occupided and The amount of money an average person is expected to spend over the length of the event and the expected tax revenue.

The counties around Central Florida pay the sports commission for bringing these events to them. If you dig through old news you'll find some interesting and not so great articles to say the least about how this organization works and the people that worked there. The commission has however brought a lot of great events to our region and continues to do so but most people don't realize it. The Dew Action Sports Tour being the most noteable thing that the commission had a lot to do with. The commission also helps fill our local sports facilities with events from all over the country.

• 2 weeks later...

frankly

the delays are pissing me off

I would figure at the very least they could get the OPAC under way due to the high levels of donations

and yea, I dont wanna be a negative nilly, but if we keep up these delays, we will lose our only major league sports team.....and there are going to be a lot of sour suzys if that happens

Couple of weeks ago Mike Thomas editorialized that the Citrus Bowl reno should be dropped from the package and then get on with the other two. Sounded good to me.

I agree. Yes, the events brought into the Citrus Bowl make money, but I don't think they give enough to the local community. The PAC and arena have a lot more going on. The days of huge stadium concerts is gone and we aren't going to get an NFL team. If we let the facilities degrade just a little more at the Citrus Bowl, maybe we can get the rodeo world championships.

frankly

I would figure at the very least they could get the OPAC under way due to the high levels of donations

and yea, I dont wanna be a negative nilly, but if we keep up these delays, we will lose our only major league sports team.....and there are going to be a lot of sour suzys if that happens

Just speaking for myself, I honestly don't know what I'd do with my life were we to lose our moribund (Purportedly) professional sports franchise.

frankly

When Orange county voters had the opportunity to fund an arena through sales tax, they chose not to. Since everything is now being funded by tourists, those same voters seem a bit anxious to get the construction started.

I for one gauge the public opinion as follows

- I want a new arena, PAC, and renovated citrus bowl

- I don't want to have any personal financial liabilty for the construction of the above items

So....when the economy fails, and the tourist tax fails to meet the needed amounts due to less travel, who covers the shortfall?....the locals have already stated that they do not want to.

I agree. Yes, the events brought into the Citrus Bowl make money, but I don't think they give enough to the local community. The PAC and arena have a lot more going on. The days of huge stadium concerts is gone and we aren't going to get an NFL team. If we let the facilities degrade just a little more at the Citrus Bowl, maybe we can get the rodeo world championships.

You're absolutely right, the days of stadium concerts are gone

Think about it, who could pull off a stadium show these days anyway?

Rolling Stones, maybe Madonna, maybe U2, maybe Ozzfest

Otherwise, nobody else can

With the loss of UCF, the monster truck shows will be the only true rage

I highly doubt WrestleMania will be held in Orlando every year and the Vikings, Bills and Chargers are not looking to relocate here that I know of

The money should absolutely be poured into the arena and PAC, they are the only good risk that will come out of it

When Orange county voters had the opportunity to fund an arena through sales tax, they chose not to. Since everything is now being funded by tourists, those same voters seem a bit anxious to get the construction started.

I for one gauge the public opinion as follows

- I want a new arena, PAC, and renovated citrus bowl

- I don't want to have any personal financial liabilty for the construction of the above items

So....when the economy fails, and the tourist tax fails to meet the needed amounts due to less travel, who covers the shortfall?....the locals have already stated that they do not want to.

or you could read it as such:

- I don't want to be the primary source of funds for such projects but I might be willing to accept some risk

Judging by the number of proponents of the property tax elimination I'm guessing most citizens don't worry too much about future problems.

EMAIL I RECIEVED TODAY

I have scheduled a town-hall meeting to provide information and solicit public input regarding the proposed community venues. The meeting will be held Monday, May 7, 2007 at 7:00 p.m. in the Board of County Commissioners Chambers located at 201 South Rosalind Avenue, Orlando.

While these venues (performing arts center, events center (arena), and Citrus Bowl) offer very exciting possibilities for our community, collectively they represent one of the largest capital projects ever considered by Orange County. They also require a substantial investment of public / tax dollars.

Many of the emails I have received supporting these venues express the sentiment that the tax dollars being considered can only be used to promote tourism and to build these venues. This is simply not true.

It is true that the tourist development tax revenue can only be used for certain purposes. But what isn