Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

I'm sorry. I'm trying to be overly sarcastic, because I don't agree with what cloudship stated earlier. I'll get back to my yobs.

i'm with bulldogger on this one. cloudship, while your motives, i'm sure are golden, i think your perspective is off. i don't feel you have enough experience living there to get a grasp on what the people of orlando consider to be their city. the downtown, has always been a vibrant part of orlando life. sure, the night life has ebbed and flowed, but it has never just been a "bunch of taller buildings". the city you describe sounds like LA. and while orlando certainly has started to become sort of a "baby LA" due to the sprawl, i think its downtown has always maintained an important role as the center of town. perhaps the rest of the world thinks orlando's central figure is the attractions area, and thats just not true. if cambridge is not boston then, walt disney world is not orlando. nor is dr. phillips, nor is winter park. etc.

and to go back to the original topic. having an arena just on the other side of I-4 closer to church street is JUST what orlando needs to finally bridge the two sides of downtown, especially if it doens't have a huge parking moat.

from what you wrote in some of your earlier posts, IMHO it doesn't sound like you've even visited orlando at all, but perhaps only viewed it on google earth or something. not dissing you, just telling you how its coming across. i suggest an extended visit, a rental car and perhaps a hotel stay at the grand bohemian to show you how downtown actually is a vibrant central figure of orlando. perhaps in june or july when the plaza theater is open.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you back 3 venues? City, county don't know

And officials have no plans to ask residents what they think of the $1 billion worth of projects.

David Damron and Mark Schlueb {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writers

Posted March 5, 2007

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...-home-headlines

That's a question that I can't seem to answer. I as a Libertarian think it's wrong to give subsidies to anyone much less a billionaire. I do understand though that if cities everywhere are doing this why can't we? I wish we'd do this the good old capitalistic way of having ONLY private entities paying for it. I say lets have them buit or else some other city will do it.

That's a question that I can't seem to answer. I as a Libertarian think it's wrong to give subsidies to anyone much less a billionaire. I do understand though that if cities everywhere are doing this why can't we? I wish we'd do this the good old capitalistic way of having ONLY private entities paying for it. I say lets have them buit or else some other city will do it.

Why should "ONLY" private entities pay for a public responsibility to arts and culture?

Why should "ONLY" private entities pay for a public responsibility to arts and culture?

Subsidies, government granted monopolies, and other forms of corporate welfare today exist as privileges granted by government to those with political access. These destroy the level playing field that free markets depend on, create a corrupt relationship between government authority and special interests, and are unconstitutional. It's not the responsibility of the Gov't to keep us entertained with the museums and arenas. That's what buissness'/private investors are for. Like I said in my previous post. I think Orlando deserves these venues and if they aren't built here they'll be built somewhere else with public money

Edited by Violindude

there has already been a ton of donations and investments into the OPAC

seems to me we just need to get our panties out of a knot and build these things

to make money you have to spend money

and these things will indeed bring in money to the orlando area

lord knows if the arena gets built in its planned location, I will without a doubt spend time in the city before or after the games.

seriously, build these damn things already

there has already been a ton of donations and investments into the OPAC

seems to me we just need to get our panties out of a knot and build these things

to make money you have to spend money

and these things will indeed bring in money to the orlando area

lord knows if the arena gets built in its planned location, I will without a doubt spend time in the city before or after the games.

seriously, build these damn things already

So will I.Bring em on do em now and do em right build the damned things now

Subsidies, government granted monopolies, and other forms of corporate welfare today exist as privileges granted by government to those with political access. These destroy the level playing field that free markets depend on, create a corrupt relationship between government authority and special interests, and are unconstitutional. It's not the responsibility of the Gov't to keep us entertained with the museums and arenas. That's what buissness'/private investors are for. Like I said in my previous post. I think Orlando deserves these venues and if they aren't built here they'll be built somewhere else with public money

I would like to think that's not the case (all subsidies and other advantages granted to various businesses or fields are based on political access) but I know in some cases it is.

As for entertainment, I don't exactly think we should all be provided with bread and circuses, but who would build a library or a museum for a profit? The only real for-profit museums I can think of are Ripleys type places. Until Carnegie came along public libraries were few and far between.

I would like to think that's not the case (all subsidies and other advantages granted to various businesses or fields are based on political access) but I know in some cases it is.

As for entertainment, I don't exactly think we should all be provided with bread and circuses, but who would build a library or a museum for a profit? The only real for-profit museums I can think of are Ripleys type places. Until Carnegie came along public libraries were few and far between.

Aren't Universal and Disney kind of like modern museums? Everything from the Living Seas to The Hall of Presidents to Backlot Tours at Universal and MGM all serve the same purpose as the American Museum of Natural History or the Shedd Aquarium. Even the new Academy Museum in LA is in the same realm. Just asking...

Perhaps one of the best arguments of why not to expect corporations to provide education. Do you really consider Living Seas to be an aquarium? Do you really think Universe of Energy is a comprehensive, unbiased educational experience?

The problme is that coporations number one responsibility is to increase the profit of the company - whether that's by product or making themselves look good or others look bad. You can't expect corporations to have to adjust themselves to being educational companies first.

so in other words, some of these corps donate money, slap their shield on an exhibit, and get good PR for their investment.

I didn't know whether to make a new thread for this or just post here, but apparently we've landed WrestleMania 24... or so the Slantinel says.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-wrestle...0,4369876.story

This has to be an early April Fool's joke. It has to be. What moron would choose the Citrus Bowl as the next location for an event this size?

"this size" meaning that it's small? B/C Ford Field, where the last one was, is a football stadium (albeit domed).

I was insinuating that the Citrus Bowl is clearly not a suitable facility for this. I would know, I'm a wrestling fan. Our local government must have bribed someone.

isn't this event similar to a Predators type of crowd? if so, figured it would be a perfect fit. :)

Heh? If you're referring to crowd size, there's a tiny difference between 12,000 and 70,000. But that's not why the Citrus Bowl is generally unsuitable. If this was going to happen, they should have waited for our new arena... if it ever gets built.

Edited by F-L-A