Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

Orange officials: What will Magic earn from arena?

Mark Schlueb and David Damron {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writers

Posted February 12, 2007

.............Rosen estimates that the new arena will generate as much as $25 million to $30 million in additional new revenue, with nearly all of it going to the team. Rosen says the deal amounts to "providing financial aid to a multibillionaire owner."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...-home-headlines

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr Rosen, spending the tax money on the hotel business also means "providing financial aid to a multibillionaire owner." if u know what I mean.

And the locals don't get anything out of the hotel business. At least the events center gives us a better venue for OUR games and OUR concerts.

I agree. A new arena gives us more than the hotels do. However, on a side note, the hotels give us something in return. THey give us another entertainment option; and also add to the inventory of this town's hotel industry which keeps this town competative in drawing tourists and business travellers-- that, coupled with the convention facitities.

Probably an unwanted voice on this, but what are you really expecting to get out of this? I guess I just don't see what this is really going to bring the city. You aren't going to get any money spent outside the stadium - it's positioned in bad areas that no one will walk around. You're cut off from the Downtown area by tracks and a major highway. It's not like people will come from all over the country to watch the Magic play - that's going to attract more local people than anything else. Yeah, I know it would be nice to have, and bigger concerts and better games could be fun, but with that kind of money there are a lot more important things you could - and should be spending it on that will have a lot better affect.

I'm expecting 3 nice venues for the citizens of Central Florida who have had to deal with the massive growth and spawl caused by the tourism industry.

.... Better affect .... such as?

Edited by cwetteland

Probably an unwanted voice on this, but what are you really expecting to get out of this? I guess I just don't see what this is really going to bring the city. You aren't going to get any money spent outside the stadium - it's positioned in bad areas that no one will walk around. You're cut off from the Downtown area by tracks and a major highway. It's not like people will come from all over the country to watch the Magic play - that's going to attract more local people than anything else. Yeah, I know it would be nice to have, and bigger concerts and better games could be fun, but with that kind of money there are a lot more important things you could - and should be spending it on that will have a lot better affect.

YES!!!! PLEASE provide some better affects cause i am tired of driving to Tampa to watch a nice concert or going to South Florida to watch a play in a worthy PAC. I dont want to spend my dollars to support another region's economy. I want to spend it here. The citizens of Central Florida deseve it and the politicians are making a game out of this.

Just build them! and BUILD THE RIGHT!

Edited by MAntoniazzi

you don't get the point at all, which you are obviously stating in your post.

cut off from downtown? this is part of downtown. it is cut off from the central business district. who cares? the cbd is for business... not just entertainment. maybe you don't venture past i-4, but plenty of people aren't scared to do so. people mostly use that area now for either a lunchtime spot or the only place in downtown with free parking on friday nights. either way, people use that area. the problem right now is that there aren't any clubs or bars to go to. get that stadium built without a massive surface lot and the context is there for other entertainment venues to pop up around there on church and central. cut off by tracks? church street station is on the other side of the tracks from the cbd and that never stopped anyone from going to it. people park under i-4 right now, so i don't think it is a major deterant to people going one way or another. there just needs to be something over there. the whole point with the arena being in parramore is to rejuvenate that area with business spurred on by arena events. the money is supposed to be spent on this type of thing. sure, you probably are talking about money for schools, transportation or preservation, but this isn't just tax money generated from us. most of the money is generated from tourist taxes and it must be spent on ventures such as this or more advertising for the area, which half the tax dollars are going towards anyway.

YES!!!! PLEASE provide some better affects cause i am tired of driving to Tampa to watch a nice concert or going to South Florida to watch a play in a worthy PAC. I dont want to spend my dollars to support another region's economy. I want to spend it here. The citizens of Central Florida deseve it and the politicians are making a game out of this.

Just build them! and BUILD THE RIGHT!

I think the press has something to do with playing games, too. They keep switching sides on whether it's a good thing or not. Most people agree that it is a good thing for everyone. The press and our politicians just need to work on the best way to get it done for everyone involved.

I agree with pretty much everyone's viewpoint here. Important to note is that the arena will border Hughey and Church. the other side of Church is already developed to Division, and the Hughes block begins at Division. All that's needed is a couple of more developments and wala! Unfortunately, the Corinthian, or whatever, went down like an OBT prostitute.

also, there is alot of open area south of South Street primed for some sort of development.

Personally as a Magic fan I would like to see them stay in Orlando which they will only do if they get a new arena. The team is in great shape for a championship run with a VERY marketable star in Dwight Howard who is just beginning to shine in the national spotlight. When he appears on the cover of ESPN the Magazine or Sports Illustrated in front of the fountain at Lake Eola and his jersey says "Orlando", I believe that is more effective advertising than an obscure ad in "AARP Today". A good sports team brings unity to a city which is something sorely missing in Orlando since so many people are from somewhere else. It also gives great publicity around the country and world, especially when someone in Buffalo can't see out their window due to the 15' of snow and they see people walking into the arena in shorts while watching a Magic game on ESPN. How much is that worth in advertising dollars? They may not come down to see the Magic, but that keeps Orlando in the spotlight. Not to mention the charities and other causes that the Magic poor millions of dollars into in the community.

These are my thoughts on why it's important just in keeping the Magic in town. Of course you have the other activities at the arena that would be enhanced plus a better venue for the "artsy" stuff which I don't take advantage of very often, but I would like to have the option. If done correctly the Citrus Bowl could even be viable. What's to keep us from hosting the Super Bowl? If we ever got lucky enough for that, that event alone would pay for the renovations/rebuilding.

i agree, and i think the first step to actually making these venues a reality is for EVERYONE here on this board to go onto www.projecthometown.com and flood the website and local officials with email eloquently DEMANDING that these projects be DONE NOW!!! Then go to myregion.org and vote for Corridors or transportation!!!! i personally am still torn...anyone else have any opinions????

IHBI.gifIHBI_4.gifIHBI_0.gif

Please let me know what you think of this football/basketball stadium concept. The North sideline includes a 6 story hotel with 100 rooms and a restaurant. Seats about 32,500 for basketball, 65,000 for football, and 59,000 for baseball. If you like it, maybe it could be the stadium design which solves all our problems.

IHBI.gifIHBI_4.gifIHBI_0.gif

Please let me know what you think of this football/basketball stadium concept. The North sideline includes a 6 story hotel with 100 rooms and a restaurant. Seats about 32,500 for basketball, 65,000 for football, and 59,000 for baseball. If you like it, maybe it could be the stadium design which solves all our problems.

Interesting, although I think 32,500 is high for basketball.

It's done by many cities, but I don't like indoor baseball or football. Just my opinion. I think football is better when played under any conditions that naturally occur at the time of the game (except where lives are jeapordized). Baseball, of course, isn't played when it rains, so that one can go either way.

This would be a retractable domed facility, so football could be played inside or outside. I believe the NCAA requires an arena/stadium to have atleast 28,000 seats to host the Final Four.

That's not possible - nearly every arena in the country is between 17,000-22,000 seats. Chicago's United Center (home of the Bulls) tops out close to 23,000, and according to my research, it's the largest stadium in use in the league.

That's not possible - nearly every arena in the country is between 17,000-22,000 seats. Chicago's United Center (home of the Bulls) tops out close to 23,000, and according to my research, it's the largest stadium in use in the league.

Thats why their often at non-basketball facilities. See Georgia Dome, Indianpolis, former Thunder Dorme, etc...

Apparently I did. For the good or the bad of it, I think I realized this project, and in many cases downtown Orlando, is not necessarily what we as northerners think of as a city. I was looking at the project from the standpoint of how it would physically affect the core of Orlando, how it would make a downtown in the traditional sense, creating vibrant downtown life, nice pedestrian feel, and most importantly a sense of belonging to the city. I am coming to realize however that people don't relate to Downtown Orlando at all, and really think of themselves as more of a county or metropolitan district, and one where they don't really have any involvement in what happens.

I understood where you were coming from with regard to some of the points in your first post about what our priorities are as a community, but I really don't follow the point you're trying to make with the new post. It's pretty obvious that downtown isn't comparable to major northeastern cities - that's a given. As for how the project 'is not what [you] think of as a city', I'm not entirely sure what that is supposed to mean. Do you mean that the projects' aren't well integrated into the city core? If that was your point, I would tend to disagree. Yeah, the Citrus Bowl is still way out there - but that's the pipe dream of these three proposals anyway. The Arena is as close to the downtown core as it can be, and it's purpose is in part to further enhance the link between both sides of I-4. I agree that people don't relate to downtown - but, if great civic venues aren't a tool to increase community cohesion and civic pride/connectedness, I don't know what possibly could be.

Orlando has a far way to go - and ultimately, I see these venues as a step in the right direction. Get commuter rail on track (pun not intended, but a nice coincidence ;)) and I'll be really happy. Can you imagine hopping on a train to Church Street station, and having those shops/restaraunts, the Plaza, the PAC, and the Arena all within 2 or 3 blocks? Synergy, synergy, synergy.

Edited by uncreativeusername

Kind of like people from Brooklyn and Queens don't consider themselves to be New Yorkers because they don't live in Manhattan.

Kind of like people from Cambridge would never consider themselves to be Bostonians.

These types of northern cities, right? I get it.

You must be kidding, right bulldogger? I can't speak for the Bostonians, but New York is comprised of 5 Boroughs of which Queens and Brooklyn are integral. Your statement is 100% inaccurate.

Edited by mrh3

You must be kidding, right bulldogger? I can't speak for the Bostonians, but New York is comprised of 5 Boroughs of which Queens and Brooklyn are integral. Your statement is 100% inaccurate.

But they aren't part of the CBD of New York, therefore they are not really part of New York City. Those other boroughs don't really count as part of the city. Technically, they are just like Dr. Phillips in Orlando.

Wait, am I making assumptions about a city that I've only visited a few times and not actually lived? Am I getting the feel of northerners wrong? (even though i grew up one) For that matter, I was born in Hong Kong. Should I make assumptions about how they feel about Kowloon and China?

bulldogger,

What's in your coffee this morning? We don't live in an era of dense urban enviornments anymore. The very definition of the 21st C. city is diffusion. Therefore a description of Dr. Phillips as part of Orlando is a relevant as a description of Orlando as Deland. It's kind of like that old saying about Los Angeles being 43 suburbs in search of a city.