Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

Not to get on my little soap box this morning, but I do own a cultural events marketing firm and I have to say that my awareness of the arts is directly attributable to having attended a Liberal Arts college. I was an economics major and an art history minor. The importance/influence of the arts is that it provides a language understand the lives of others. Speaking for myself, I'm certainly not a big fan of Broadway, although I love dance. Music is my muse and sculpture my love, but having a facility that can accomodate the great performance artists of the world is imperative to Orlando arriving on the big stage of global commerce. I'm done now. :thumbsup:

Not to get on my little soap box this morning, but I do own a cultural events marketing firm and I have to say that my awareness of the arts is directly attributable to having attended a Liberal Arts college. I was an economics major and an art history minor. The importance/influence of the arts is that it provides a language understand the lives of others. Speaking for myself, I'm certainly not a big fan of Broadway, although I love dance. Music is my muse and sculpture my love, but having a facility that can accomodate the great performance artists of the world is imperative to Orlando arriving on the big stage of global commerce. I'm done now. :thumbsup:

I hear ya.

I totally agree with you, I really do.

What I love about Manhattan is the reputation for the arts that it has, which is world renowned (obviously). I have started partaking in local arts events while I've been here, from the arts festivals in WP, Maitland, and Eola, to local theatre showings at that place on Orange & Princeton, the green building downtown, and trying to make 3rd Thursdays at CityArts Factory. I've also been to Orl. Mus. of Art and that gallery at Millennia. Nothing major.

But my new philosophy is that if you are a resident of a certain place, you should actively support those cultural events put on by your community. Otherwise, you become a robot.

When is ArtFest?... What is ArtFest.

ArtsFest is put on by United Arts of Central Florida. It begins tomorrow, February 1st and runs through the 11th.

From their FAQ:

Q) What is ArtsFest?

A) ArtsFest is a celebration that kicks-off the United Arts fundraising campaign. Presented by Bank of America and sponsored by the Orlando Sentinel, Progress Energy and the International Drive Improvement District, ArtsFest includes 244 free arts and cultural events held in 54 locations throughout Lake, Orange, Osceola and Seminole counties. ArtsFest provides you with a taste of everything the arts community has to offer in your own backyard!

Aside from this ArtsFest, the arts is of obvious importance to anyone interested in our urban landscape. If art were not in involved in architecture, every tall building we have would go straight up with a flat roof.

Well, I guess a link for everyone to see would be appropriate... Red Chair Project

Edited by bulldogger

Isnt Orlando supposed to have a film festival sometimes in the new downtown theatre?

There's 2 downtown. One is called Indie Film Jam, which my company co-sponsors and is part of the larger Florida Music Festival. Last year, it was held in the DMAC which has since closed. They aren't sure if they will be able to use the CityArts Factory or the movieplex (it probably won't be finished and open in time). The Indie Film Jam runs May 16th-20th.

The other film fest downtown is the Orlando Film Festival, which ran a short version of a festival due to the movieplex not being completed as first announced a few years ago. The original quote was for fall 2006. They will be using that theater as well as the CityArts Factory. One of the organizers, Kurt Bauerle, is on the BOD of CAF. He's not scratching someone else's back; he's scratching his own back on that one. That festival should be running fall this year.

A great crossover dribble is my muse. :whistling:

Maybe I have missed it, but I have not seen what the current venues are costing the city now. I am assuming that none of the venues are making the city any money but have not seen the numbers. Of the 3 new facilities, which one is most viable as far as actually being self-sustaining and less of a burden on the city/county?

The Carr breaks a little better than even. Of course when you add the cost of new construction, the new PAC probably won't see black for awhile.

F the vote

that is sucky as hell

if we vote it down that will only highlight how culturally and progressively backward we are

not a good thing to do

we vote for politicians to make the decisions that we are probably not best informed to make

that is the way our government works

damn I really hope they dont send this to a vote.....but if there is one thing we can count on is that the people who would vote against it turn out in very low numbers....or so im assuming

People are being misdirect regarding the three venues by the media and channel XX news. All three venues will benifits tax payers economically and culturally. 37 mills of interest that might incurred are really insignificant when you consider the revenue these 3 venues will pull in and all other developments that will come because of these 3 venues. Furthermore, I rather these money spend on the venues than pour it back to Rosen's pockets.

I don't know about Crotty, but Dyer would almost certainly fight a referendum tooth-and-nail, knowing full well that the voters would slap the projects down.

They did that in Phoenix with a $1BB bond inititative that financed a new city hall, public library and some other stuff.

F the vote

that is sucky as hell

if we vote it down that will only highlight how culturally and progressively backward we are

not a good thing to do

we vote for politicians to make the decisions that we are probably not best informed to make

that is the way our government works

damn I really hope they dont send this to a vote.....but if there is one thing we can count on is that the people who would vote against it turn out in very low numbers....or so im assuming

I can see both sides. Since some tax money will go into them, and if something happens to hotel tax revenues then we'll be responsible for the shortfall.

But like you said, this isn't a (true) democracy or a popularity contest, I'm sure everyone would vote for no taxes if they could.

I can see both sides. Since some tax money will go into them, and if something happens to hotel tax revenues then we'll be responsible for the shortfall.

But like you said, this isn't a (true) democracy or a popularity contest, I'm sure everyone would vote for no taxes if they could.

It will be pushed as if it's their (these voters) tax money paying for it when it's not. Most if not all the tax money will be paid by out of towners but it will be pushed by those trying to block the deal in a way that scares the locals.

I can't stand politicians who get involved at the last minute and try to come up with every freakin excuse possible to kill something. It's not like this arena thing is new. It's been on going for about 5 years. This is right for the community and needs to get done. Dyer just needs to back door this one through as well. It's the only way anything gets done around here. I'm sure the Plaza would never of been built without his savy.....

Predators call arena deal unfair

The football team says it will pay 16% of the Magic's building costs but is being cut out of the revenue.

Josh Robbins {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted February 9, 2007

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...-home-headlines

25359063.jpg

This rendering keep popping up, is it the actual rendering?

27642635.jpg

How come Orlando's new arena cost so much more than Memphis and Charlotte? considering they all house a sucky team.

Just went to two concerts at the O-Rena (Jimmy and Billy), and a play at Bob carr, those venues are a joke. I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but if you are saying we don't these facilities, then you have never (or at least recently) been to an event at the current facilities. For Heavens sake, can we just do something and not make a damn mountain out of a mole hill!!

Orange officials: What will Magic earn from arena?

Mark Schlueb and David Damron {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writers

Posted February 12, 2007

.............Rosen estimates that the new arena will generate as much as $25 million to $30 million in additional new revenue, with nearly all of it going to the team. Rosen says the deal amounts to "providing financial aid to a multibillionaire owner."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...-home-headlines

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr Rosen, spending the tax money on the hotel business also means "providing financial aid to a multibillionaire owner." if u know what I mean.