Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

Do this and the SEC and BIG 10 will be gone. They don't want to play their games on another university's stadium.

Do this and the number of UCF fans who buy season tickets will drop significantly. Why buy 6 games and maybe miss 1 or 2 if you can always walk up and get a ticket. Then what happens is people tend to skip more games because they haven't already invested.

Do this and the number of Atheletics donors will drop. Like the above, why pay the extra $750 to ensure a good seat when there are always good seats.

• 2 weeks later...

UCF president John Hitt: On-campus stadium a 'godsend'

58818960.jpg

In the history of Orlando sports venues, it was the best of shrines; it was the worst of shrines.

The best thing that ever happened to UCF's football program was that day a few years ago when President John Hitt made the decision to build an on-campus stadium and escape the decaying Citrus Bowl.

And the worst thing that ever happened to the city's effort to refurbish the Citrus Bowl and keep it viable for big-time college football bowl games was forcing Hitt into reaching that conclusion.

After a recent interview with Hitt on what the on-campus stadium has meant to the development of UCF's thriving football program, I believe the city's arrogance and apathy toward UCF actually did the Knights a monumental favor. Sometimes, the best decisions are the ones you are forced to make.

Hitt recalls when the Citrus Bowl added a new video board several years ago and former athletic director Steve Orsini was trying to negotiate a share of the advertising revenues for UCF. "There was a take-UCF-for-granted attitude," Hitt remembers. "When Steve was talking about a share of revenues on the new video board, he was told the value of UCF's fans was nothing — zero. That didn't sit too well with us and got us looking in other directions."

http://www.orlandose...,5119924.column

Edited by DeepEyez

• 4 months later...

Sentinel, Mike Thomas: Don't waste $175M fixing up Citrus Bowl — move its games to UCF

This was in Sunday's Sentinel. That said, it's sort of a beaten horse by Thomas, and probably in this forum already.

I actually agree with this. It's like the saying "you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig"-- I'd rather the city stop dumping millions and millions of dollars into this dilapidated and outdated stadium when there's a viable alternative. As I understand it, UCF's stadium was built to be expanded and while it wasn't intended to be an NFL-caliber stadium we don't need it to be one. Perhaps it could be used to bridge the gap for 10 or 15 years until the region is ready to construct a new stadium in an effort to lure an NFL team (or not).

I think the biggest concern with moving bowl games to UCF is that their stadium is pretty far from Orlando's concentration of hotels around I-Drive and Disney. The city of Orlando would also get less exposure since the stadium is out in the burbs as opposed to being down the street from downtown. I'm not sure that's reason enough to not take advantage of the UCF stadium.

I don't think the City can just step in a tell UCF, we're going to expand your stadium and host events there. The size of the Citrus Bowl really hurt UCF's atheletics ability to bring in money. People pay premium Golden Knights Club donations to be allowed to purchase good seats. Others only buy season tickets in order to ensure themselves good seats for the bigger games. 45K is just right for this, expand it before the demand, and all those monies will start to dry up.

Mike Thomas only considers what it might mean to Orlando. He doesn't really talk about the issues for UCF. Where do 65K park. There are some fairly upscale neighborhoods that battled UCF's efforts to build a 45K stadium because they didn't want their neighborhoods to become a giant tailgate party. UCF agreed to allow free parking on gameday and limit its use to UCF football only. You'd have a battle royal I think from UCF and the neighborhoods if you started hosting monster trucks and who knows what else out there. After all, they do have a University to run.

Orlando kicked UCF out of the C-Bowl ... and now they want UCF to bend over for them.

I don't think the City can just step in a tell UCF, we're going to expand your stadium and host events there. The size of the Citrus Bowl really hurt UCF's atheletics ability to bring in money. People pay premium Golden Knights Club donations to be allowed to purchase good seats. Others only buy season tickets in order to ensure themselves good seats for the bigger games. 45K is just right for this, expand it before the demand, and all those monies will start to dry up.

Mike Thomas only considers what it might mean to Orlando. He doesn't really talk about the issues for UCF. Where do 65K park. There are some fairly upscale neighborhoods that battled UCF's efforts to build a 45K stadium because they didn't want their neighborhoods to become a giant tailgate party. UCF agreed to allow free parking on gameday and limit its use to UCF football only. You'd have a battle royal I think from UCF and the neighborhoods if you started hosting monster trucks and who knows what else out there. After all, they do have a University to run.

Orlando kicked UCF out of the C-Bowl ... and now they want UCF to bend over for them.

The original plan was for UCF to agree to that as a settlement, but when they decided to sue, that offer never was accepted and UCF is allowed to use the stadium for other events now... there has been 2 or 3 over the years, nothing too big... I don't think UCF is promoting the rental of the stadium, its a tough market for it with the other competing venues... and it takes the entire campus the provide ample parking for it, so events can't really be held on school days. It can handle bowl games, but thats about it... A new bowl game, the Cure Bowl was proposed for it last year but was rejected by NCAA, they said they were going to try again but never heard from them again.

• 1 month later...

This is great news for Orlando and the Citrus Bowl.

Bands announced for Orlando Calling festival at Citrus Bowl

"Organizers expect to draw 40,000 music fans each day."

Does anyone know how many people Earthday Birthday drew the last couple of years? 2 years ago there was a crazy amount of people there with all the big name bands they got and Korn headlining.

• 3 weeks later...

I know its a bit off topic, but there hasn't been any development news in the past few days. However, do you think if the team does become MLS, that the Florida Citrus Bowl can be renovated to fit their needs?

OR

Make the Citrus Bowl soccer specific and move all bowl games to UCF

Edited by XpressEnterprise

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Info finally getting out about possible Citrus Bowl redo:

73864641.jpg

Update: they seem to have added additional pics to the story, so you may want to check back.
Edited by spenser1058

Spenser, the article says there are several renderings, but I could only find the one that you posted.  Any idea where the others might be?  Does anyone know if the orange accents the DPAC "2012" flag cut up and re-purposed? 

It seems several items on orlandosentinel.com leave us scratching our heads today (as was mentioned about the Clarkie's story and one from yesterday that seemed not to know that a "Bass Tracker" and an "airboat" are not the same thing.) As Tribune leaves bankruptcy today, maybe someone in Chicago will start putting funds back into the Sentinel instead of pulling them out (don't know if this is still true, but for years the Slantinel was more profitable than the Chicago Tribune and we burghers down in Orlando were propping up the big city paper.) In any event, I was looking all over for the other pics also and given the way DPAC keeps being treated like the red-headed stepchild, you may indeed be correct about the 2012 flag *sigh*. Stay tuned...

Edited by spenser1058

Spenser, the article says there are several renderings, but I could only find the one that you posted.  Any idea where the others might be?  Does anyone know if the orange accents the DPAC "2012" flag cut up and re-purposed? 
Saw a few on the news this evening. WFTV, I think. You might check the local TV news websites (video section).