55 West

Tim3167

Boy this thing has a big footprint. I think it's width from the north and south views will make this building look fairly short and squat. With a footprint this large it would have needed to be around 500 ft tall to look proportionally similar to the Suntrust building. Also, don't think the renderings reflect this size of the footprint.

Boy this thing has a big footprint. I think it's width from the north and south views will make this building look fairly short and squat. With a footprint this large it would have needed to be around 500 ft tall to look proportionally similar to the Suntrust building. Also, don't think the renderings reflect this size of the footprint.

it will be massive. maybe not the tallest, but it will be massive. it will be impressive.

Thanks for the photos Keone. I was down there last night and it is really starting to "loom" over the area. Seems no matter how much vertical prgress we are seeing, I'm just waiting for someone to say "just kidding" and hault construction. The fact that 55West is getting built in my mind is a testament to the desire of people wanting to live downtown. It's especially great to watch this one considering all of the troubles and hurdles it encountered. My hats off to PCL as I believe they were the difference maker on this one.

We're doing a walk-through on Friday so I'll try to snap some photos if there is anything interesting to see, although I doubt there will be.

From PCL's web site:

"The '55 West on the Esplanade' project consists of a 32-story mixed use building and a 12-story parking garage that will be built on one half of a city block on Church Street located in the heart of downtown Orlando, FL. The building will contain both residential and commercial spaces. The first two floors will be retail and restaurant spaces, the third floor will be reserved as an Orlando City Art space, the remaining floors above level four will contain 405 condo units. The 12-story, 1,180stall parking garage will have 6 levels of public parking with the remaining reserved for the condo residents. On top of the parking garage will be a heavily landscaped area with pool, bar, and four 2-story townhomes. The building also contains architectural elements to stand out in the Orlando skyline including a glass structure on the roof of the building, cantilevered slabs on the roof of the penthouses and a pre-cast art panel in the center of the building that spans 7-stories.

The foundation of the project consists of 1090 auger cast piles. These piles are 16" in diameter and extend 70 feet below the bottom of the pile caps. There are 4,680 cubic yards of concrete in the pile caps with the largest caps being 56x48' and 15.5' deep. Both the tower and garage are concrete structures with post-tensioned concrete slabs. There is over 58,800 cubic yards of concrete on the project, 3,400 tons of rebar and 660 tons of post tension cable. The sequence for building the tower structure will consist of pouring elevator core & columns, pouring the floor slab in two sections with a 9 day cycle for forms. The sequence in the garage will be similar, sheer wall, stair towers & columns, and floors broken into three pours with a 12 day cycle for forms.

The exterior envelope of the tower will consist of storefront glass system and Carbon Cast Pre-cast concrete panels. The garage will be an open air garage with CMU block walls with a stucco finish."

6101049_November%20aerial%202006_300.jpg

Edited by bic

Wouldn't the opposite be true? It will look better while traveling eastbound on I-4, since that way you will be facing the front side of the building.

No because when your traveling west bound on I4 through downtown your actually going south, and then passed 408 I4 turns to the right which would be south west diagonally away from Otown. So the opposite view from east bound I4 is a north east angle. really all your gonna have in front of you as your passing through town is fat 55 west and suntrust to the right.