301 College Street High-rise mixed use development

gman430

1 hour ago, GvilleSC said:

You're not the only poster to have said this, but I don't understand the idea at all. "Out of place" meaning what exactly? Both buildings will add to the fabric of our urban core. I don't want every single building to look the same. Maybe I'm in the minority. 

That's the biggest problem with Greenville's architecture as it is.  You've got a choice of a brick box or a glass box, or a brick-and-glass box if the architect is especially daring, but by God you're getting a box.  

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, hauntedheadnc said:

That's the biggest problem with Greenville's architecture as it is.  You've got a choice of a brick box or a glass box, or a brick-and-glass box if the architect is especially daring, but by God you're getting a box.  

Non-box architecture is dramatically more costly and probably will not drive a corresponding increased ROI. Building a single family house is no different....every time the foundation and roof change direction, pitch, etc the cost goes up. 

2 hours ago, GVLer said:

I agree with that broadly and I certainly don't want the charming older buildings downtown razed for all modern structures. However, this building is not charming (aka hideous architecture)  it is simply older. And juxtposed by connection with nicer architecture makes that even more stark. Look I get it, it is not my money and they are trying to repurpose that Canvas tower for obvious reasons. But that does not change the lipstick on the pig. 

See I think the Canvas building is way down the list of ugliest buildings. Just not being a box gives it major bonus points but there's just too many other buildings that need attention before this one, including quite a few new ones.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GVLer said:

Non-box architecture is dramatically more costly and probably will not drive a corresponding increased ROI. Building a single family house is no different....every time the foundation and roof change direction, pitch, etc the cost goes up. 

What I hear you saying is that boxy architecture is great because not only can it look boring, but it also has the added benefit of looking cheap.

8 hours ago, GVLer said:

I agree with that broadly and I certainly don't want the charming older buildings downtown razed for all modern structures. However, this building is not charming (aka hideous architecture)  it is simply older. And juxtposed by connection with nicer architecture makes that even more stark. Look I get it, it is not my money and they are trying to repurpose that Canvas tower for obvious reasons. But that does not change the lipstick on the pig. 

Honestly, I don't see how anyone wouldn't see that the new building will dramatic improve the appearance of the old one. The tiered side on Academy that didn't make sense at all, except to match the other side (that did make obvious sense), will be essentially removed visually.  How is that anything other than a big improvement?  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, gman430 said:

Inflation is soaring again. Pretty much zero chance the Federal Reserve lowers interest rates anytime soon. I don’t see this one starting construction at all this year if ever. 

Yep I buy a product regularly at the grocery store it has gone up 20% in the last 2 weeks. I’m afraid this project will never get started but so far the chain link fence is holding up pretty well. 😁

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, motonenterprises said:

And you 2 negative dudes will be just fine. More to life than this. Like family and relationships. Learn to be grateful for everything that you get. If you miss something so what. It's more than lots of people in the world get.

Not being negative. Just stating a fact. I don’t see any major projects starting construction downtown for a while. Ahhh yes…let’s be grateful for high inflation and interest rates. I am soo grateful. :rolleyes: At least my savings account and certificate of deposit are doing well thanks to a high APY so there is some good news I guess.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, gman430 said:

Not being negative. Just stating a fact. I don’t see any major projects starting construction downtown for a while. Ahhh yes…let’s be grateful for high inflation and interest rates. I am soo grateful. :rolleyes: At least my savings account and certificate of deposit are doing well thanks to a high APY so there is some good news I guess.

Inflation will stay elevated as long as the economy remains so strong. It’s a delicate balance. People are still buying more than ever. It’s all about demand and supply. 

Edited by gman
  • Like 1

The CPI, a broad measure of goods and services costs across the economy, rose 0.4% for the month, putting the 12-month inflation rate at 3.5%, or 0.3 percentage point higher than in February, the Labor Department’s Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Wednesday. Economists surveyed by Dow Jones had been looking for a 0.3% gain and a 3.4% year-over-year level.

Excluding volatile food and energy components, the core CPI also accelerated 0.4% on a monthly basis while rising 3.8% from a year ago, compared with respective estimates for 0.3% and 3.7%.

One tenth of one percent higher than expected. 

Good thing some of you didn't live thru the '70's and '80's. You would have jumped off a building.  Saudi Arabia cut back on production and raised the price of gas.  

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, gman said:

Inflation will stay elevated as long as the economy remains so strong. It’s a delicate balance. People are still buying more than ever. It’s all about demand and supply. 

And that’s why credit card debt is the highest it’s ever been also: https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/americans-credit-card-debt-hits-record-113-trillion/story?id=106990807

People don’t know how to save money anymore. It’s a ticking time bomb.

Edited by gman430

19 hours ago, gman430 said:

Yes you definitely should be grateful. You carry on like a kid that was raised in affluence whom has never seen a hard time. Sometimes I wish people could be dropped into true poverty and misfortune so they can learn to be humble and grateful.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, motonenterprises said:

Yes you definitely should be grateful. You carry on like a kid that was raised in affluence whom has never seen a hard time. Sometimes I wish people could be dropped into true poverty and misfortune so they can learn to be humble and grateful.

Yeah…I got a real job and work my ass off every week instead of sitting at home living off of government handouts. That’s what I say to people when they say “must be nice.”

Ehhh..it doesn’t matter. This forum has become stupid anyways. People care more about a boring road diet project than a signature high rise. It used to not be like that. Like what happened? I remember the days when the Greenville Photo of the Day thread had posts everyday. Now you’re lucky to see one posts every six months. It’s sad and pathetic. What happened to the city pride? 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

Yeah…I got a real job and work my ass off every week instead of sitting at home living off of government handouts. That’s what I say to people when they say “must be nice.”

Ehhh..it doesn’t matter. This forum has become stupid anyways. People care more about a boring road diet project than a signature high rise. It used to not be like that. Like what happened? I remember the days when the Greenville Photo of the Day thread had posts everyday. Now you’re lucky to see one posts every six months. It’s sad and pathetic. What happened to the city pride? 

There is more pride in this area than any area I've seen. Just because people aren't constantly complaining doesn't mean that they have pride. Most people just have more important things to worry about and know how to be grateful. There are actually some people that have it worse. And guess what. Some of them work hard too.

Edited by motonenterprises

19 hours ago, vicupstate said:

One tenth of one percent higher than expected. 

Good thing some of you didn't live thru the '70's and '80's. You would have jumped off a building.  Saudi Arabia cut back on production and raised the price of gas.  

Yep the so-called gas shortage was the biggest hoax ever put on the American public. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, motonenterprises said:

There is more pride in this area than any area I've seen. Just because people aren't constantly complaining doesn't mean that they have pride. Most people just have more important things to worry about and know how to be grateful. There are actually some people that have it worse. And guess what. Some of them work hard too.

Whatever. Greenville is overrated and has been for a while. Hopefully I can move soon to a city soon who actually knows not to hinder economic development. Half of the forum members on here like @Trey Cole @johnpro318, @SVL, @cabelagent and @adrockc2 don’t post anything anyways. Like why are you even here? All @vicupstate posts about is some land being bought and annexation occurring..BORING. 

Edited by gman430

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

Whatever. Greenville is overrated and has been for a while. Hopefully I can move soon to a city soon who actually knows not to hinder economic development. Half of the forum members on here like @Trey Cole @johnpro318, @SVL, @cabelagent and @adrockc2 don’t post anything anyways. Like why are you even here? All @vicupstate posts about is some land being bought and annexation occurring..BORING. 

I hope you can find a city that is perfect. Good luck in your search. 

9 hours ago, gman430 said:

The ENTIRE revitalization of DT Greenville including the West End and beyond, which preceded 85% of the built environment that you see today, was started with .....

wait for it.....

A road diet.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, gman430 said:

Well I hope you find what you're looking for. But I doubt you ever will. You see. Whenever you go, there you are.