1 hour ago, East Side Urbanite said:

On the Avon Williams (TSU) brutalist building theme ...

... the importance of the building is not in its stellar design (as the building offers multiple flaws and is ugly in some respects). Rather, it is the fact that it's important our downtown offer at least one or two "solid example" of as many architectural styles as possible. This variety  of buildings and their eras creates an interesting visual. The NewsChannel 5 building located on James Robertson Parkway  — though "suburban" in that it is a one-story single-use structure that is our of scale for the wide street on which it sits — is a respectable example of googie design (a futuristic aesthetic derived from the auto culture and atomic/space age  that was popular in the 1950s to early 1970s.

Similarly, the TSU building is one of downtown's only prominent brutalist buildings. The fact that it houses a university makes it all the more distinctive. It's cool that Nashville offers a brutalist building of note while various other mid-sized cities do not. I hope it never is razed. As to an exterior painting ... that could be interesting.

It is interesting that both the Avon & Cbs are from the same local architecture firm.  Earl Swensson Associates.  The bat Building, Schemerhorn, Belmont concert halls and half of Belmont.  A plethera of important new towers too.  i can think of no other architect that has been as important to the city as whole.   Oh yes, does anyone know where the staging for construction  for the 901 would be?  Alcove was exceptionally tight, but this one has no land besides the footprint at all.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Baronakim said:

It is interesting that both the Avon & Cbs are from the same local architecture firm.  Earl Swensson Associates.  The bat Building, Schemerhorn, Belmont concert halls and half of Belmont.  A plethera of important new towers too.  i can think of no other architect that has been as important to the city as whole.   Oh yes, does anyone know where the staging for construction  for the 901 would be?  Alcove was exceptionally tight, but this one has no land besides the footprint at all.

I did not know ESa designed both.

As to staging for 901, ... Ron (Smeags) might have some thoughts. Good question. The building once know as the Mastrapasqua Building (on Church) is being used to stage Prima (801 Church and also a Giarratana project).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baronakim said:

I was wondering the same.  I suspect a portion of one lane of YMCA Way will be closed.  Wasn't one lane of 9th near the Alcove site closed?  Or maybe they'll do like some of the big cities and just have a caravan of trucks delivering materials throughout the day.  It's additional costs to do that but it might be the only alternative.

I'm anxious to see how deep they are going to excavate and if they hit the corner of the TSU building ... LOL!!!

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2023 at 2:48 PM, East Side Urbanite said:

I did not know ESa designed both.

As to staging for 901, ... Ron (Smeags) might have some thoughts. Good question. The building once know as the Mastrapasqua Building (on Church) is being used to stage Prima (801 Church and also a Giarratana project).

It is hard to say but staging areas can be onsite or within 2 or 3 blocks away. I will bet there are a number of options open, and the staging lot will not have to be huge. It depends on who he can get to rent part of a parking lot to him. Besides how do they handle this is NYC where there are not any large parking lots available? I will bet Nashvylle can answer that one as he worked there for a time in the industry. There is always a solution.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • markhollin changed the title to 901 King Blvd. (33 stories/375', 250 residential units)
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, nashville born said:

Any permit activity on this one?

They have applied for Foundation and Shell permits, but neither have been issued. Foundation had some activity on it as recently as 09/25.

I don't know for certain, but I might think some of the phasing of the Charlotte Street Overpass (over Rosa Parks) may play a factor in how things start.

image.thumb.png.e9ba06bddb75cbd7af9060ac8ebd006e.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1