United Community Bank Corporate HQ project.

gman430

On 5/14/2023 at 4:09 PM, GVLer said:

Dumb question probably but what is going on the large site directly behind Deca

It’s slated to become a temporary parking lot for United Community Bank’s new headquarters. Key word: temporary. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Various containers and staging equipment has been relocated, and construction parking has shifted out of the UCB parking lot. The chain link fence and banner is in the process of coming down. This must signal the start of the parking lot site work? While I hate that the current plan is for a surface lot, it will certainly improve aesthetics, and in theory it is only temporary. 

1 hour ago, GvilleSC said:

Various containers and staging equipment has been relocated, and construction parking has shifted out of the UCB parking lot. The chain link fence and banner is in the process of coming down. This must signal the start of the parking lot site work? While I hate that the current plan is for a surface lot, it will certainly improve aesthetics, and in theory it is only temporary. 

What would it be after that?

51 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

It's only speculation, but I don't think it's a far reach to say that it would be future expansion of their HQ operations.  They paid a hefty price for the land, and the city allowed it to be incorporated (after the fact) within the structure of their incentive package. I don't think the City would willingly encourage a surface parking lot in a prime location.  But, who knows?

1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

It doesn’t matter. It will be downgraded to a six story building with a flat roof and then it will go through delay after delay after delay. After that, the site will go up for sale and get resold 5,476 different times. A beautiful fence will be erected around the site for a few decades and weeds will grow taller than any building you can dream of. Sound familiar? Oh and the developer will come up with every excuse underneath the sun as to why it can’t get built. 

#yeahTHATgreenville

Edited by gman430
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, gman430 said:

It doesn’t matter. It will be downgraded to a six story building with a flat roof and then it will go through delay after delay after delay. After that, the site will go up for sale and get resold 5,476 different times. A beautiful fence will be erected around the site for a few decades and weeds will grow taller than any building you can dream of. Sound familiar? Oh and the developer will come up with every excuse underneath the sun as to why it can’t get built. 

#yeahTHATgreenville

No. Because unlike the the old Auditorium site, this site isn't fundamentally flawed by being surrounded by high-speed, high traffic arteries and awkward egress. This site and the adjoining properties are the next frontier in Greenville CBD development and I do not expect it to be a surface lot long term.   

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The structure on the parking site has been demolished, and the last of the trees are coming down this morning. The site will be completely cleared. There were some rather large trees along the street, and adjacent to the small tan building next door. Seems like a real shame that none of them were saved. 

2 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

The structure on the parking site has been demolished, and the last of the trees are coming down this morning. The site will be completely cleared. There were some rather large trees along the street, and adjacent to the small tan building next door. Seems like a real shame that none of them were saved. 

So they’re turning a parking lot into a parking lot. I better get my drone pics of this exciting development. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

So they’re turning a parking lot into a parking lot. I better get my drone pics of this exciting development. :D 

Really sad…when you resort to providing drone pics of the progress for a parking lot. We need some new building action somewhere downtown :)

• 1 month later...