Rebuilding Second Avenue

smeagolsfree

The city has ALOT of authority in this area of town. This is why it will take time to repair this district back to what it was, because it will require time and patience. Metro's authority goes as far as material submittal approval and progress point inspections.

I will just leave this here as 2nd Ave falls under this section of the downtown code. Also Second Ave is on the National Registry Historic District and has a Historical Overlay enforced by Metro

DTC_170531-page-001.thumb.jpg.f75a6074fb252c50d1b80673880b1396.jpg

DTC_170531-page-002.thumb.jpg.7c2e39073b0254e6507355b63dc7bd6c.jpg

DTC_170531-page-003.thumb.jpg.95608030ac6abf1d460040e3b9ae75b2.jpg

This is an image of materiality from the historical zoning overlay for 2nd Ave. Rehabilitation is also quite stringent.

image.thumb.png.fe16a335026e063c85dda002af2872f4.png

For Example on brick masonry. This is taken directly from a Metro presentation on material submittals.

Recycled, Faux-Recycled, and Pho-Hand Made brick is not appropriate. Brick shape should be square-edged and color should be inherent to the clay and/or the firing process.

image.png.290f8f962f42c0c741cde6826d3265e4.png

image.png.8a721608bd63a0cd84ca3af3d1a051f2.png

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Hoping that soon it will have no evidence that vicous sociopath existed! 

Hopeful also that the city will force AT&T to do something with their building…like either do something to the outside that makes it look like apartments or maybe move to a more remote location (meaning land with some barrier around the building.

• Like 1

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/construction/article/21146934/permit-patrol-5-april-2021

The AT&T building at 185 2nd Ave. North has landed a permit of $912,000 for J.R. Bowman Construction to do rehab work after bomb damage on Christmas day.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/construction/article/21146934/permit-patrol-5-april-2021

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

So how much is insurance NOT covering?  And what would look different after the 'restoration'?  And that damn parking lot at the corner of 2nd and Church needs to be developed with a 6-8 story classic styled building of some mixed use. Like looking at a person's mouth with the two front teeth missing. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

So how much is insurance NOT covering?  And what would look different after the 'restoration'?  And that damn parking lot at the corner of 2nd and Church needs to be developed with a 6-8 story classic styled building of some mixed use. Like looking at a person's mouth with the two front teeth missing. 

That's up to the Owner of the lot, it mentioned redevelopment of underperforming lots but I don't know if you can force them to build.  

Edited by ArchitectBarbie

1 hour ago, ArchitectBarbie said:

That's up to the Owner of the lot, it mentioned redevelopment of underperforming lots but I don't know if you can force them to build.  

Lamenting the loss of authentic Victorian era buildings is not the same as advocating forcing the owner to build anything on their property. As an attorney, I'm as staunch a property-rights advocate as you'll find.  The early part of my career was launched in that specialty.  Likewise I haven't seen anyone on this forum express happiness that the former building there was destroyed (burned by an unscrupulous 'developer')  and replaced with a parking lot... for the past 35 years.   Clearly it's working out great for the owner(s).  None of that takes from the sense of loss and displeasure many feel about that parking lot (much as ppl here have voiced their hopes/outrage about the PSC site on the East Bank).  The uninterrupted row of Victorian era buildings was such a rarity in Southern cities, and nothing will bring that building back.  It's natural to lament the loss of places like that one and reasonable to wonder in a booming city where a .07 acre lot just sold for $1.6 million (and countless historic buildings have been demolished for the next cookie cutter building... and yes, that was the owner's choice) why nothing has even been proposed for that site.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Lamenting the loss of authentic Victorian era buildings is not the same as advocating forcing the owner to build anything on their property. As an attorney, I'm as staunch a property-rights advocate as you'll find.  The early part of my career was launched in that specialty.  Likewise I haven't seen anyone on this forum express happiness that the former building there was destroyed (burned by an unscrupulous 'developer')  and replaced with a parking lot... for the past 35 years.   Clearly it's working out great for the owner(s).  None of that takes from the sense of loss and displeasure many feel about that parking lot (much as ppl here have voiced their hopes/outrage about the PSC site on the East Bank).  The uninterrupted row of Victorian era buildings was such a rarity in Southern cities, and nothing will bring that building back.  It's natural to lament the loss of places like that one and reasonable to wonder in a booming city where a .07 acre lot just sold for $1.6 million (and countless historic buildings have been demolished for the next cookie cutter building... and yes, that was the owner's choice) why nothing has even been proposed for that site.  

I wonder if now it’s gotten to the point that building height restrictions on that lot would keep someone from paying what the owner would want for it?  As much as I want to see more of the Victorian style structures built there, I wonder if it would be cost effective to anyone.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, titanhog said:

^^I dream of a day AT&T leaves that space and it’s knocked down and rebuilt in the old Victorian style to bring that street back to the way it should be.

It would be a 10 figure number to make this happen today, I'd say.  We need to hope that technology comes far enough along that the mass of cords and wires in there are rendered obsolete.   I'm not holding my breath.  It used to be nothing but telephone connections and now it's all internet and mobile stuff.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CandyAisles said:

It would be a 10 figure number to make this happen today, I'd say.  We need to hope that technology comes far enough along that the mass of cords and wires in there are rendered obsolete.   I'm not holding my breath.  It used to be nothing but telephone connections and now it's all internet and mobile stuff.

One possible solution would be to build a smaller building on 3rd Avenue right behind the current one-due to tech advances I doubt they need as much space as they have now plus the cable connections would not have far to move.

Then you demolish the current site and some enterprising developer could get with the Historical Commission's photo archives and see what that part of 2nd Ave used to look like and rebuild accordingly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bnacincy said:

One possible solution would be to build a smaller building on 3rd Avenue right behind the current one-due to tech advances I doubt they need as much space as they have now plus the cable connections would not have far to move.

Then you demolish the current site and some enterprising developer could get with the Historical Commission's photo archives and see what that part of 2nd Ave used to look like and rebuild accordingly.

This would be perfect.  The AT&T structures really do a disservice to the appearance of downtown (though I understand it’s a very important part of their infrastructure).  I would just love it if there was a way to find them a more suitable location and change that section of downtown to something more “Nashville."

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...