Mid City (1501 Broadway, 8 acres on Broadway, 7 towers of 20-35 stories, 1.3 million sq. ft. office, 1,000 residential units, 150,000 sq. ft. commercial/retail)

markhollin

18 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Can folks confirm that rents are actually falling? I know there was an article that came out recently about the incentives like free month(s) and what not, but that tactic has been used for the last 6 years or so to gain tenants. I think rents have hit a plateau, but have they actually begin to fall?

Cities that have built a lot are seeing drops. Free months reduce effective rent and are as good as drops. In the past 6 weeks the algorithms that drive pricing have dropped pricing again.

IMG_0252.png

Fancy grafts and algorithms, don’t always show the truth of what’s reality. Just shows what a pencil pusher with a fancy title came up with. Here in the real world, things might be different, I have been in the transportation industry for over 40 years, driven millions of miles and know what’s it’s really like . But yet there’s many college educated folks who have a degree in “ transportation technology “who have never been behind the wheel of anything other then their Kia , coming up with Algorithms and so called data on how much us seasoned professionals are doing wrong. I call bullsh@@ on that nonsense, and same goes for all this nonsense with the sky is falling, economy sucks, rents are down , housing has tanked and we’re all doomed. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

Fancy grafts and algorithms, don’t always show the truth of what’s reality. Just shows what a pencil pusher with a fancy title came up with. Here in the real world, things might be different, I have been in the transportation industry for over 40 years, driven millions of miles and know what’s it’s really like . But yet there’s many college educated folks who have a degree in “ transportation technology “who have never been behind the wheel of anything other then their Kia , coming up with Algorithms and so called data on how much us seasoned professionals are doing wrong. I call bullsh@@ on that nonsense, and same goes for all this nonsense with the sky is falling, economy sucks, rents are down , housing has tanked and we’re all doomed. 

Rents being down isn’t a bad thing. It’s a function of supply, we have recently built a lot of apartments. Follow the rents of recently built buildings for yourself. You will find the same exact thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nashvylle said:

@Bos2Nash @samsonh In Nashville,  I would say the incredible YoY "growth" has "fallen", IE from 16% growth seen in 2021 to ~2.5% in 2023.. but there is still growth, but not enough for some developers to justify starting a new project in the current interest rate environment. 

Thanks! This is essentially what I heard a couple months ago from a Newmark rep. There is still growth, but not the gangbusters growth that the city had grown used to over the last couple years. The money is still there that wants to be invested, but also the high interest rates will hamper some investments in the short term.

4 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Look for projects to start being cut, cancelled, or delayed I think now. Interest rates are not coming down anytime soon and WW has talked to a few folks and things are dead as a doornail.

Another shoe is about to drop on Church Street as well. I do think we will see a few projects cancelled but more delayed. Let's call it a culling of the heard.

I do agree that the Hines project is well behind as they were supposed to start on one of the buildings already, and not one bit of earth has been moved. Remember it is not just here this is happening everywhere. I think a number of projects are finishing up and we may get some new starts as some companies are in better shape than others. Then there are other companies that have never done large scale projects that are now scrambling trying to save face and maybe get out. Some will just hold on to the land and wait out the storm as Nashville is still a good investment.

I sounded the alarm on this. The high interest rates, high inflation, skyrocketing national debt, dollar losing world currency status, corporate downsizing and a host of other economic catastrophies over the last two + years. Has ended Nashville's hey day.

Um, um, um.

Edited by Argo
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Argo said:

I sounded the alarm on this. The high interest rates, high inflation, national debt, dollar losing world currency status, corporate downsizing and a host of other economic catastrophies over the last two + years. Has ended Nashville's hey day.

As with every economic turn it will cycle back into success again, don’t know if that is the end the hey day in the long run, still a lot of growth on the way. Curious to see if the next cycle it will be the boom to the extent of the last 10 years or so, will be fun to see. 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • markhollin changed the title to Mid City (1501 Broadway, 8 acres on Broadway, 7 towers of 20-35 stories, 1.3 million sq. ft. office, 1,000 residential units, 150,000 sq. ft. commercial/retail)
52 minutes ago, NashRugger said:

Stunning development, but I'm just skeptical of that much office space coming on given the overall vacancy rate. 

I think by the time a lot of these are finished--those with office space--the commercial/office market will have mostly bounced back from the pandemic/strong move to remote.  Companies are pretty swiftly moving back to the hybrid or almost all in-office model, and I think by 2026 or so, we'll see companies firmly planted again with in-office staff--at least most of the workday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, markhollin said:

Mid City, Feb 26, 2024, diagram 8.png

The renders look great! I have no insights to contribute but am confused why the wiggly north-south street is planned to be called "Main St" and the parking entrance "15th Ave." It seems by convention that the wiggly street should be 15th Ave S while the parking/dropoff loop doesn't need a name at all. Wouldn't it only create confusion to call anything here Main St when there's already a Main St in East Nashville?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AsianintheNations said:

The renders look great! I have no insights to contribute but am confused why the wiggly north-south street is planned to be called "Main St" and the parking entrance "15th Ave." It seems by convention that the wiggly street should be 15th Ave S while the parking/dropoff loop doesn't need a name at all. Wouldn't it only create confusion to call anything here Main St when there's already a Main St in East Nashville?

If I had to guess these are relatively fluid, but I agree. I wouldn't put it past Metro to have two main streets seeing as we have 2nd Ave on both sides of the river, we just flip where the directional portion of the name is.