110 East: 23 story Tower by Stiles/Shorenstein

CLTProductions

A fun parallel: when the church next door (Billy Graham’s childhood parish) was built they didn’t have enough money to complete the masonry around the back. The congregation worked together last minute to pool funds to finish the back corner in wood. I find it ironic that a hundred years later this successful developer can’t do what a small congregation of mill workers could. 

Edited by MothBeast

I haven’t seen as many complaints about this deck existing in the first place as much as about the design and size of it. I agree beotching does no good but I am wondering what we can do as a community to improve the regulation of parking deck design in these high rises. Solutions not problems.

Edited by MothBeast

2 hours ago, CLT Development said:

I'm going to quickly pop in here to burst a few bubbles. 

Let's talk parking decks for a minute. We hate 'em, we all do, developers do too, cuz they are expensive (anywhere from 25K to 75K a space). You know who doesn't hate them? The workers that are primarily driving to these structures because, for the most part, you cannot control where you work in Charlotte, and thus cannot plan your job around having no car. I am thankful to work in a place where I don't need to drive to Steel Creek or Rock Hill anymore. I moved to a transit-connected place because my goal was to do this everyday, it took me two years of effort, and like five years of personal brand building to find a job that allowed me this freedom.

There is no appetite in the NCGA to fund any transit project in Charlotte, there is no realistic chance that a comprehensive transit network will be approved possibly in the lifetimes of some on this board. No potential office tenant is going to say "I'm only going to ONLY commit to candidates that can reasonably take the transit to work." This would create a massive recruiting problem for them. If an office tower didn't have parking, it wouldn't get leased, and since it wouldn't be leased, it wouldn't be financed, and since it wouldn't get financed, it wouldn't get built. This is why marketing materials for Lowes Tower dedicated like 1/2 a page to East West Station but like 3 pages to the parking deck, I-77, I-277 and more.

We hate it, but guys, it's not changing, and unless it's tenant-built and occupied, and that tenant is a Fortune 20 company that can afford it, it's likely not getting buried either. Nobody is going to spend an extra $10,000,000 on a building they don't have a guaranteed tenant for.

So why can Spacecraft do it in South End and Grubb in Seversville? Well that's because you can actually choose where you live, and its much easier to find 350 people that are willing to give up having a car, than it is to force 1500 people to come to an office every day without one. So can we get back to something else, we get it, you hate the deck. The naked corner is horrid for sure, but honestly, theres a fairly large retail space coming to a submarket where things are getting leased VERY quickly. You can't even see the parking deck from the retail space because it cantilevers over. Be excited, and unless you have something constructive to say, stop complaining about this project.  We get it, it offends you. 

This is in no way to anyone in particular but just addressing the overall beotch fest that this board has become. 

XOXO CLT Development

I, personally, will post whatever I like until banned. 

I don’t think I’ve complained much about the parking deck (I’ve never seen a rendering look almost exactly like it does in real life). It is what it is & totally expected. I’m not too worried about it given it’s not the trend & most of SouthEnd has had pretty good development so. It’s a missed opportunity but it is what it is. 

But if people complain about it, let them complain. It’s no different than people who are overly rosy about everything. If people wanna posT complaints, cool. If they wanna be rosy, cool. I rather have discussion than people monitoring comments trying to limit discussion.

I will say, however, if the city refused to let them build it without spending the additional $10MM to look better…. It might make more financial sense for them to spend the $10MM. What does a developer do if they don’t develop because they don’t like certain regulations? I’m not the biggest fan of only seeing things from the perspective of a developer and their financials. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, CLT Development said:

Except Greystar didn't control the backside of Ascent, 110 East's developer does. 

A lot of assumptions in this post that just aren't correct. Also, what does Houston, a city an economy 2.5x the size of ours have to do with this?  

I didn’t mean the size of Houston, I meant in general low taxes leading to high growth model.

We can leave this alone though. My main point was, let people post about whatever they want. I find cheerleader boosterism to be excessive and sometimes cringe but I go about my day, don’t respond & silence, so. 

At this point, some people want the following rules: Don’t criticize anything too much (as a collective), don’t mention any other city/region (unless it’s a negative about the other place or a list saying Charlotte is high ranking), don’t correct factually wrong things stated that are easily verifiable (light rail ridership, uptown population, etc. like the post below)

IMG_2859.thumb.jpeg.3f30685b015908331c89aa0aac9b1648.jpeg

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/43281-charlottes-light-rail-lynx-blue-line/page/264/

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

On 12/15/2023 at 3:39 PM, CTiger said:

While that's all fine and good,  it needs to be said that this parking garage is effing ugly and is in one of the most active areas of the city so we all have to look at it for the next hundred years.  You'll notice that nobody is really complaining about the parking garage right across the street at the Greystar development because they did a good job hiding it.   When you look at this building though, you see parking garage first and building second.  The design bothers me more than the parking itself.

The retail can still save this thing.  Remember how much we all griped about the parking garage at Atherton Mill (which is still very ugly) but the retail filled in nicely and now I hardly notice it anymore.

It could be better and I suspect there are ways this garage could have been hidden by the developer that were not exploited.  

I don’t want to downplay that one of the reasons there were no design challenges to this garage is that so many of the high-rise/high-tenant/high-parking demand things built in south end are built by right given the mass rezoning in like 2018/2019.  Also, even if council had provisioned for public input into design, the neighborhood appears to lack a constituency to argue for better anyway.

I sense there are competing definitions of urban progress on this board.  Some want muscular, big city high-rises even when such high-rises potentially drop hundreds of parked vehicles right next to a transit station.  

Others would rather have had South End densify and become more walkable with low-rises and mid-rises, not unlike a downtown Asheville vibe, or hell, even Main Street kannapolis feel.  The idea there being that low-rise densification may not have needed the same scale of podiums to service surges in parking demand in relatively confined spaces.

I once read that one phenomenon that killed the historical building stock in American downtowns that we love to marvel at in black and white photos was actually the high-rise.  These high-rises intensified parking demand in relatively small areas in downtown and as a result, old walkable buildings were demolished and gave way to surface lots to accommodate suburbanites driving in who didn’t have spaces in any embedded garages within the high-rise.  Had the high-rises not come, much of the historical building stock may have survived and would have been primed for large-scale revitalization once America refocused on its cities.  

We’ll see what South End becomes, whether it can possess and protect a charm and character that outlast its time as a real estate darling.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think it looks great.  Also, new buildings in much bigger cities like Dallas, Miami, Houston, Atlanta, and even Chicago have garages like that.

IMG_9723.jpeg

As south end sees more vertical buildings, this will just sort of fade.  Right now, its scrutiny is a result of the monument effect.  That goes away as the building sees lots more “company.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, CLT Development said:

Nobody is being a booster/cheerleader, especially not me who criticizes this city publicly all the time. On the flip side, this board has gotten so impossibly negative all the time that it's tiresome to even share things here. We get it people don't like X project, but do we really have to rehash and beleaguer it every single time a new photo is shared? People spend so much time whining about things that cannot be changed it's crazy.

I think the problem is people like you who act like you can determine what is and isn't criticism just because you have your "ins" with developers.  Everyone can have an opinion whether it's negative or positive, that is the point of a site like urbanplanet. Some of us don't like to rollover to every proposed development in the city and know that Charlotte deserves better. Maybe the constant negativity from people on new projects is a sign that Charlotte isn't getting great development. Growth for the sake of growth isn't always a positive. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, CLT Development said:

“A sliver of effort” Jesus Christ they designed and encased almost an entire 10-floor structure with metal panels and the geometry of those panels feed directly into the metal fins on the glass curtain walls. They literally put in a crap ton of effort, you just don’t like the execution which is literally not yet done, and it’s quite frankly one of the best attempts at masking a parking deck on a contemporary designed buildings I’ve seen. Rolling over, you gotta be crapting me, I’ve been the biggest voice in this city for pushing for better design and specifically for deck screening, which we got a crap ton of here. I’m not trying to say “don’t share grievances,” I’m trying to say maybe be constructive and not completely hyperbolic, which “sliver of effort,” is the epitome of hyperbolic. 

That's absolutely your opinion and I respect that. But that is not the opinion of most of the people in the group and the people I know when showing them Charlotte. If that is a crap ton of effort, then I am scared of the future of architecture and design. Screening does not automatically equal good. 

I do appreciate all you have done for sharing development news and being part of the Planning Committee but your opinions don't always represent everyone.  Having the "biggest" voice does not invalidate everyone else's opinions and concerns or make you the voice of reason. The point of being on a committee is to hear out everyone and consider those concerns when making recommendations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This structure looks more like the rendering from X years ago than maybe any other project in recent time. I mentioned this very issue not long ago. The appearance of the parking portion can be separated from the amount of parking in the structure.

I have no agency in this pyramid of concern.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People have a right to complain about things, but by extension people also have a right to complain about people complaining about things. Lol. 

What isn't great is when complaints turn into attacks. I am surprised by how frequently threads on this site become arguments, considering generally most posters want the same things for their city.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1