110 East: 23 story Tower by Stiles/Shorenstein

CLTProductions

It is about as terrible as it could be IMO based on renderings and what is built so far. 

At least it’s the lone exception & not the trend in SouthEnd though. A fake brick on the parking deck would at least aesthetically look better to me. But. They can’t all be nice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, RANYC said:

South End is a hot area but does anyone know if it has any formal civic advocacy apart from development interests? 

There is the South End Board Committee: https://southendclt.org/about/who-we-are

Only  3 of the 25 members on the committee are just a "resident." Most represent business or commercial interests. Given South End has a high ratio of renters in corporate owned apartments, that probably impacts advocacy to an extent. Most residents don't feel like their own property values are at stake, et. (which is why I think Dilworth and Wilmore are often louder about things) and South End residents were OK signing leases in these behemoth corporate apartments / like all the amenities those new apartments provide. People that want less of a corporate apartment vibe seem to rent in other neighborhoods from what I've seen and self select into which types of neighborhoods they like. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think this office building is fine is it my favorite no but it is not even complete yet.  I will wait until it is complete.  And people constantly say on here how is the street level view and aspect and until the retail is in we wont know.  So lets give it some time.  

But don't worry in the next 36 months there will be a lot less buildings to nit pick since the office starts are really slowing down.  Even high rise apartment towers are going to be less in numbers.   But what do I know but I do like the Bank of America Tower when 75% of you on this board hate it.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Genesis704 said:

How this get lights before duke…🫠

they look cool tho

Duke has tested lights several times now. I’m not sure why they won’t turn them on- I wish someone in the know on this site would say. They may have decided just to light up their sign. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, kermit said:

I am a rendering realist, so I don’t generally expect completed projects to look much like early sketches. Having said that, in its current form this building is really giving me Suburban Office Park vibes (mostly the “flatness” of the façade). In its current condition it would be bland even in Ballantyne.  [I will concede the sidewalk level adjacent the rail trail is shaping up nicely). Its appearance from medium distance is really bumming me out given its location as the anchor of the Southend submarket. Lowes Tower is 1000% better (even if its stuck with that crappy fake brick).

IMG_1341.jpeg

IMG_6609.jpeg

It doesn’t exactly help to use an outdated rendering

IMG_6071.jpeg