110 East: 23 story Tower by Stiles/Shorenstein

CLTProductions

The landscaping is beautiful.

By the way, here are hideous bases on extremely expensive new towers in Miami.  Charlotte is hardly alone in having  to deal with this.

image.thumb.jpeg.42bf4b24196784670bcc6ce1b5210c25.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4164142bfeaa035a82e8ef5b45eaecad.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a118aa921a3bf5517be0ed050d4fd929.jpeg

IMG_0362.webp

In my opinion, only one Miami tower has a good parking base.

image.thumb.jpeg.913cb5564b812a00dd3b8aca533da755.jpeg

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

On 1/19/2024 at 4:08 PM, SydneyCarton said:

For some reason, all I see in this rendering is a giant squid grappling a box. (Sorry, I've been trying to get the kids to watch more nature docs instead of gaming channels. But I can't un-see it.)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

For some reason, all I see in this rendering is a giant squid grappling a box. (Sorry, I've been trying to get the kids to watch more nature docs instead of gaming channels. But I can't un-see it.)

That tower has already been built and is unbelievably expensive.  It’s really beautiful.

Miami is developing a level of outrageous wealth like you find in NY, SF, and LA.  Despite that, its beautiful towers have ugly ten story bases with garages.

IMG_0367.jpeg

Edited by SydneyCarton

I definitely agree, I wasn't trying to say it was ugly. I guess like seeing shapes in clouds, I saw a shiny squid trying to grapple a box. Either way back to the normal programing, I'll put my weird thoughts away. Cheers and be safe tonight er'body.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

That tower has already been built and is unbelievably expensive.  It’s really beautiful.

Miami is developing a level of outrageous wealth like you find in NY, SF, and LA.  Despite that, its beautiful towers have ugly ten story bases with garages.

IMG_0367.jpeg

I just don't see the value of adding a $300M condo tower designed by the late Zaha Hadid, which will never ever ever ever ever be built in Charlotte, to this conversation. This building features condos that are 2x the average $psf of the buildings surrounding it, so of course it is well-screened and has great materiality. Can we start a *visions of a different Charlotte thread," so that there's a place for things like this to land?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, CLT Development said:

I just don't see the value of adding a $300M condo tower designed by the late Zaha Hadid, which will never ever ever ever ever be built in Charlotte, to this conversation. This building features condos that are 2x the average $psf of the buildings surrounding it, so of course it is well-screened and has great materiality. Can we start a *visions of a different Charlotte thread," so that there's a place for things like this to land?

It’s very relevant to my point.   Everyone hates the hideous parking podiums on 110 East, and  in Charlotte, generally.  I do too; however, as noted, much bigger and much wealthier cities like Miami, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, etc have them.   Thus, Charlotte is not unique in having to deal with this problem.  I posted the Zaha building to show that it’s the exception to the rule  of ugly ten story bases that are everywhere in Miami.  

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

It’s very relevant to my point.   Everyone hates the hideous parking podiums on 110 East, and  in Charlotte, generally.  I do too; however, as noted, much bigger and much wealthier cities like Miami, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, etc have them.   Thus, Charlotte is not unique in having to deal with this problem.  I posted the Zaha building to show that it’s the exception to the rule  of ugly ten story bases that are everywhere in Miami.  

I actually didn't mind any of the decks you posted, their street fronts looked pretty stellar, and for the most part their screening looked pretty artistic.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

I actually didn't mind any of the decks you posted, their street fronts looked pretty stellar, and for the most part their screening looked pretty artistic.

Really?   I think that they look terrible, especially since they’re on buildings with multi-million dollar apartments.  I think the one on the Zaha building is the only one that looks good.

• Like 1

actually I am showing tons of photos of podium parking garages in the Learning from Other Places thread from my recent trip to the Sunshine State.  

But getting back to this tower, anyone hear of any tenants or rumors of such now that the Line by Portman is mostly leased up now.   Or prospects for that retail space right on the Rail Trail.  

saying 1st quarter 2024 delivery on their website  110 East | Charlotte NC

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I know we're trying to get this thread back on Charlotte topics but I would imagine burying anything in Miami comes with challenges unique to that city.

Rising sea levels have long pressured Miami coastal properties - The Washington Post

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not a bad idea though, starting a thread for inspirations, comparisons, and/or lessons learned from other cities for Charlotte. I believe the Nashville forum has a thread like that. It would neatly organize all the discussions like this and get rid of debates about what is and isn't relevant to Charlotte in other threads. Someone wanna do it? Lol

On 1/19/2024 at 4:08 PM, SydneyCarton said:

The landscaping is beautiful.

By the way, here are hideous bases on extremely expensive new towers in Miami.  Charlotte is hardly alone in having  to deal with this.

image.thumb.jpeg.42bf4b24196784670bcc6ce1b5210c25.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4164142bfeaa035a82e8ef5b45eaecad.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a118aa921a3bf5517be0ed050d4fd929.jpeg

IMG_0362.webp

I kinda like the first one

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CTiger said:

Does anyone know if there been any nuggets on potential retail tenants?  Is this set up to fit one big tenant, or multiple smaller tenants, or is that still up in the air?

I think it is one big restaurant space.  

• Like 2

I feel like a restaurant is just what’s missing at that corner. Hopefully the former Walgreens and Ascent towers have a better mix of retail options. 

(is it too late to make that drive through a walk through? Still have no clue how they approved a drive through off south blvd)

Edited by MothBeast

32 minutes ago, MothBeast said:

I feel like a restaurant is just what’s missing at that corner. Hopefully the former Walgreens and Ascent towers have a better mix of retail options. 

(is it too late to make that drive through a walk through? Still have no clue how they approved a drive through off south blvd)

Still not 100% sure Walgreens is opening there, I was told a while back they pulled out. I think I mentioned that on here.

• Like 1