Economic Conditions - Nashville, TN, U.S., Global

Mr_Bond

WOW! I really stirred the pot, sorry about that. I was passing along a comment I saw elsewhere

Anyway, the point was just to say that many folks are very unhappy about raising taxes right now, due to pandemic, lost jobs, etc. Horrible timing. People are going to blame anybody or anything - regardless of political liberal conservative blah

• Like 1

Guys I am not taking sides here just stating facts, that things are not going to be the same. This is not going to be a Democrat,  Republican, conservative,  liberal issue after it is all said and done. It is going to be about he survival of the economy, small businesses, peoples lives, etc.

Politicians on both sides are making stupid mistakes. Everyone is and will be playing the blame game after this is all said and done. It is a pointless discussion. 

It is going to be reality that there will be a huge price that will have to be paid for all of the incentives. Both sides wanted political gain, and both sides will end up paying a heavy price. Just like the news conference tonight when they asked Trump and Pence about the people that lost their health care and if they could sign up on Obama care. They dodged the question.  Just like Nancy wanting funding for the Kennedy center in the bill. There is stupidity on both sides. 

Thats why politics is a fruitless discussion becuase everyone is wrong and everyone is right. Just like religion. You cant get a Baptist, Methodist, Catholic,  Church of Christ, Presbyterian or any other denomination to agree on anything. They will agree Jesus is the son of God and it stops there. Sometimes I even wonder if some even agree on that.

I am about ready to throw everything out with the bathwater and just let you all fight it out and just quit. I am burnt out and have been for some time.

You folks are like a bunch of 2nd graders and I get caught up in this crapola too. This is the most stessful time any of us have ever gone through,  so I suggest we all just take a chill pill and try to keep Nancy, Chuck, Donald, Mike, The Donkey, The Elephant out of the conversation for a while.

I do understand it is  very easy to criticize the governor, the mayor and all of the other jokers in charge right now. Lets just let all of the chips fall where they may. We see all of the crazy people on Facebook saying stupid stuff, the news media offering a 1000 differing opinions and frankly I to the point of information overload.

Lets just try and get along and I will try to remind everyone to keep the politics out. I know that is hard with this becuase most of the elected officials have no idea what they are doing and that again goes for both sides as they are still calling each other names.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my opinion this thread has been pretty remarkably civil and I can't really put my finger on what it is that has certain folks in a tizzy.  It's as if people have some weird form of PTSD where they just automatically assume that if politics is being discussed then terrible things are being said, without ever actually reading the discussion being had.  But ya know what, even if political conversations sometimes make people uncomfortable or ruffle some feathers, it isn't childish or irrational or unreasonable for a group of adults to want to have them, or for people to feel passionately about issues that affect us all directly, particularly within the context of something so earth shattering such as this in which government and politics is a massive part of the story.  I am honestly so, so sick of that characterization.  If anything is childish in my opinion it is when people freak out and get so triggered over the mere whiff of anything political in nature that they either try to shut down the conversation entirely (that is NOT a reference to mods just doing their jobs,) or immediately put up their walls, put on their tribal warpaint, and fire blind scatter shot at their perceived 'enemy' instead of just simply either avoiding the conversation outright or taking part in the discussion by pointing out where they might disagree, ya know, like a human being having a conversation.  There are so many egg shells around here sometimes that I'm not quite sure where to step.   If we can't even mention objective facts or utter the word 'government' in a thread about the economic impact of and recovery from a global pandemic without some people getting their britches all in a bunch because they were raised to believe that discussing politics is impolite, then I'm not quite sure what the point of this thread even is... because aside from just updating the numbers of the sick and dying everyday I don't really know that there is a great deal to discuss otherwise if not the response and actions of those in charge with the power to actually make an impact.   

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The hotel industry in greater Nashville area could default on a potential $1.4 billion in collateralized loans in the next several months due to Coronavirus.

As of 2018, the in Nashville metro, the hotel industry employed around 13,000 people with an annual payroll of $355 million.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/04/03/as-hotels-plead-for-second-stimulus-nashville-area.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Th hotel industry in greater Nashville area could default on a potential $1.4 billion in collateralized loans in the next several months due to Coronavirus.

As of 2018, the in Nashville metro, the hotel industry employed around 13,000 people with an annual payroll of $355 million.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/04/03/as-hotels-plead-for-second-stimulus-nashville-area.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

Pretty terrifying. Also the scope is unimaginable, as this isn't just Nashville, it is hotels in every city in America.

• Like 1

I have to think from the top down that the federal government is speaking with banks who are speaking with borrowers that modifications have to be made. If all lenders are just going to foreclose,  I doubt the federal government will be too happy when the banks come asking for help. 

The best thing to do is add 6-8 month extensions on these loans and don't collect interest/amortization during the government ordered lockdown. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

The hotel industry in greater Nashville area could default on a potential $1.4 billion in collateralized loans in the next several months due to Coronavirus.

As a lower broadway downtown resident who works remotely anyway. It's like living in a multi-billion dollar theme park/luxury hotel/restaurant twilight zone episode. Where you are the only one left save for a few zonked out zombie homeless wandering the streets.

I've watched & spoken to multiple restaurant managers where I went regularly weekly to do work at various bars from my laptop.

One-by-one I've watched their entire staffs being laid off.

The destruction of the Millennial & Gen Z's future economic opportunities by the older generations that made these insane lockdown conditions are pure evil. They will burn for their sins.

Edited by nativenashville
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

Rock solid argument.  Glad that's settled... it is comforting to know that we have a man in our midst who knows better than every infectious disease expert in the world. 

Your supporting the destruction of a generation's life opportunities. You will also suffer from your sins.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, nativenashville said:

Laugh it up all you want. But the destruction of the global economy, let alone downtown Nashville will be absolutely devastating. 5-10 years best case for us to return to pre-covid levels.

Yeah man, it's gonna be a little dicey for awhile.  You aren't telling anyone anything they don't already know, and none of us are taking it lightly.  But I'm not sure the guy arguing against saving lives is in any position to be doling out moral judgements.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, nativenashville said:

Laugh it up all you want. But the destruction of the global economy, let alone downtown Nashville will be absolutely devastating. 5-10 years best case for us to return to pre-covid levels.

Literally no one knows how this is going to turn out. While we can speculate, exercises on what the recovery will look like are purely theoretical at this point. The economists don't know what's going to happen. You're probably as well off consulting your Magic 8 Ball as you are consulting an expert at this point. So chill. Let's ride this out. We're all in it together.

• Like 4

Projections keep dropping 100 to 200k, now to 80k. 

I'm skeptical of atleast the Davidson County dire projections. We've been locked down a month now, and our numbers have been pretty moderate and manageable to this point. I'm not convinced there is some massive apex in two and the models haven't proved their worth.  I'm not discounting it and of course continuing to stay at home, but hopefully we've avoided the worst case scenarios. 

• Like 4

Damage has already been done. Weeks more and 10's of millions more unemployed. Business that want to rehire can't because they just bankrupt'd.

You all are entirely underestimating the upcoming years horrible conditions for younger workers, and those just starting their careers.

By supporting all of this nonsense without any logical or rational thought if that 'official' messages had an ounce of truth-you older voters, democrat and republican alike. Are all responsible for the shell of a country that is being left for the younger generations. Shame and sin.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, nativenashville said:

Damage has already been done. Weeks more and 10's of millions more unemployed. Business that want to rehire can't because they just bankrupt'd.

You all are entirely underestimating the upcoming years horrible conditions for younger workers, and those just starting their careers.

By supporting all of this nonsense without any logical or rational thought if that 'official' messages had an ounce of truth-you older voters, democrat and republican alike. Are all responsible for the shell of a country that is being left for the younger generations. Shame and sin.

Bro, relax. Take a deep breath.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The University of Washington model that freaked everyone out went in one week from saying Tennessee would be SEVEN THOUSAND beds short to now saying we will have a surplus of almost 6000 beds.

We've certainly improved our position with social distancing, but this model has been garbage: https://www.newschannel5.com/news/newschannel-5-investigates/new-model-predicts-dramatic-covid-19-flattening-in-tennessee

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, japan said:

Some posters in this thread need to take a deep breath and relax...

I don't disagree to some extent, but the existential and greatly mounting threat of people losing their jobs / livelihoods with no control over it is a stressful situation. 

Edited by DDIG
  • Like 1