Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

So I assume this is Terra Firma.  It's a great little building.  

Not exactly but not too far away.   We will be beginning  a renovation of  the building @ 650 Wealthy at some point this week.   No plans for it, so we're not in a hurry--- it looks like  a good winter project.    This was the Ron Love law firm up until a couple days ago.    

What would you guys like to see go in there ?    We are looking for ideas (read:  Tenant) for this location, and looking forward to a renovation project !  

- eric

Not exactly but not too far away.   We will be beginning  a renovation of  the building @ 650 Wealthy at some point this week.   No plans for it, so we're not in a hurry--- it looks like  a good winter project.    This was the Ron Love law firm up until a couple days ago.    

What would you guys like to see go in there ?    We are looking for ideas (read:  Tenant) for this location, and looking forward to a renovation project !  

- eric

Glad to see that building has finally out of the clutches of Mr. Love!   Have you been able to look at historic photos of the building to see how it used to look?   Frankly, anything from a specialty food/decor retailer, to a yoga studio to a cafe, to even another office tenant would work great there.  It's great to see the building is in good hands!

• Like 1

- eric

Eric, you planning on adding the second story back? That would be fantastic. :)

Joe

- eric

Eric, will you be turning into 1 or 2 storefronts?  If it is 2, I may have a tenant for you.

• Like 1

- eric

What about that new brewery opening in GR late next year? Do they have a home yet? 

• Like 1

Eric, you planning on adding the second story back? That would be fantastic. :)

Joe

@ Joe, we have looked at it but frankly the ADA requirements, elevator cost, etc. probably don't quite justify it.    At this point, we don't even have a game plan it's just kinda "lets see what happens" so I'm interested in a moderate-cost project here.       Here's an idea, Winchester next door could rent the roof for a simple rooftop beer garden :-)     I'd personally love to see another restaraunt/bar here.    It requires more HVAC and electrical stuff but we're happy to do it for the right user.

Eric, will you be turning into 1 or 2 storefronts?  If it is 2, I may have a tenant for you.

@ Lighthouse Dave, I"m pretty sure we're going to keep this a single-tenant situation.   While it would split fairly easy, AND there are already 2 existing handicap-capable bathrooms, (one on each 'side') it does get more complicated to split utilities, add a demising wall, have two different storefronts..... it's not difficult it's mostly about cost AND the practical matter of having spaces in the most popular tenant sizes for the neighborhood.    At 3,000 sq ft., we feel like this is appropriate for many of the uses you guys mentioned above:   restaurant / bar / brewpub / yoga-fitness of some sort, any number of retail uses, sit-down restaurant or perhaps just office.    It's pretty versatile as a single-tenant space

I appreciate the open discussion here so keep the ideas coming.   It's so much nicer than when I got roasted around here for my proposed Starbucks store on medical mile :-)

• Like 4

Here's a first whack at one potential storefront, from the pen of Brian B. at Via Design..    Note the entry door is purposely located at the east end of the building so that we can use the width of the bldg. to address the need for an indoor  handicap ramp right from the start.    It also is recessed / turned to prevent much of the air transfer every time the door opens or closes.     Probably not miles from what we'll end up with, still defining some finishes and such.

Screen Shot 2015-11-16 at 10.25.13 PM.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one for the "wow what a mess" department.     650 Wealthy after some light interior demo.     Now that we've exposed what's there, the engineers will consult on how to get rid of that messy load-bearing (?) wall.     I'd love a chance to interview the guy who designed this structural mess.

So now we'll pause while we await final construction drawings, structural plans and a building permit before we can do more.    These things always look worse before they can get  better...   

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terra firma said:

Here's one for the "wow what a mess" department.     650 Wealthy after some light interior demo.     Now that we've exposed what's there, the engineers will consult on how to get rid of that messy load-bearing (?) wall.     I'd love a chance to interview the guy who designed this structural mess.

So now we'll pause while we await final construction drawings, structural plans and a building permit before we can do more.    These things always look worse before they can get  better...   

IMG_0454.jpg

Wow, I never noticed that front door before. That's....special. :P

This seemed like the best thread. 

I heard that the building that houses the Pita House in Eastown was sold.  The Local Epicurean is supposed to move into that building.

The Pita House is losing its space.

Looks like they are now relocating to the building that houses Indochine.

Not sure if Indochine is moving or closing.

IMG_7440.jpeg

They will definitely need to build on a large addition.The existing building was inadequate to eat in before, and I think they only had maybe two small tables inside.

They really have no choice! This cannot be another Johnny B's project where you put on the smallest possible extension, or Lee and Birch where the owners arent allowed to pretty up the nasty yellow exterior just so you dont disturb some marginal "historic" facade. This corner is too important for this to happen again.

They have this huge slab of concrete fronting the corner that would allow for an incredible extension to be build that would do wonders for the intersection, not to mention help blunt the impact of that terrible Family Dollar building. Everyone will just have to hold their breath until we see what crazy restrictions the HPC will demand to make this look as terrible as they can.

2 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

They will definitely need to build on a large addition.The existing building was inadequate to eat in before, and I think they only had maybe two small tables inside.

They really have no choice! This cannot be another Johnny B's project where you put on the smallest possible extension, or Lee and Birch where the owners arent allowed to pretty up the nasty yellow exterior just so you dont disturb some marginal "historic" facade. This corner is too important for this to happen again.

They have this huge slab of concrete fronting the corner that would allow for an incredible extension to be build that would do wonders for the intersection, not to mention help blunt the impact of that terrible Family Dollar building. Everyone will just have to hold their breath until we see what crazy restrictions the HPC will demand to make this look as terrible as they can.

I wouldn't hold your breath. Both Donkey and Johnny Bz, you'll notice, could not build out toward Wealthy Street at all. There's plenty of room behind the old Wealthy Station though, to expand. Not sure if they can go toward Fuller but I would guess so.

1157 Wealthy.JPG