Charlotte Pipe &Foundry redevelopment

rockhilljames

What is the possibility of Tepper building a Soccer Stadium on that site and redevelop around it?  I truly believe that moving the stadium out of its current site will be a disaster for parking, dining, entertaining, etc as the Iron District site would need to replicate all of that to be feasible.  Throw in the difficulty of handling traffic and it becomes a nightmare.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DMann said:

What is the possibility of Tepper building a Soccer Stadium on that site and redevelop around it?  I truly believe that moving the stadium out of its current site will be a disaster for parking, dining, entertaining, etc as the Iron District site would need to replicate all of that to be feasible.  Throw in the difficulty of handling traffic and it becomes a nightmare.

There is no scenario where Tepper builds two stadiums. I don't know why people keep thinking that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I wonder if this means that there won't be a new stadium.

The photos in the article look great.  I think that these renovations could make this a really impressive facility.

Here’s what $50 million in upgrades to BOA Stadium for Panthers, Charlotte FC look like

BY ALEX ANDREJEV AND ELLIS L. WILLIAMS UPDATED FEBRUARY 07, 2022 6:54 PM

image.thumb.png.f57718e3b039b29a37d32cd4cffb65bd.png

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article258133483.html#storylink=cpy

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article258133483.html

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Nah, spending this money on stadium upgrades was essentially a prerequisite to getting an MLS team so it was going to get spent either way.  And while it sounds like a lot of money, $50m is really just a drop in the bucket when you zoom out and think about Tepper's overall plans for the Panthers, Charlotte FC, and a new entertainment district in that part of the city.  I think a new stadium is bound to happen, but the timeline and details are still very hazy.

• Like 4

Tepper wants to start hosting Super Bowls in Charlotte, seems to me. And I think that would be really cool. But it will probably require a new stadium. If you look at the Super Bowl rotations, I think almost all the stadiums are pretty new and absolutely state of the art (exception being the Superdome). They prefer domes too although maybe not a requirement given the pleasant climate of Charlotte.

I think the NFL also understandably requires a certain amount of hotel rooms within some radius of the stadium. I know at one point many years ago, Charlotte had not hit this requirement. I'm not sure if that's changed since then.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

Tepper wants to start hosting Super Bowls in Charlotte, seems to me. And I think that would be really cool. But it will probably require a new stadium. If you look at the Super Bowl rotations, I think almost all the stadiums are pretty new and absolutely state of the art (exception being the Superdome). They prefer domes too although maybe not a requirement given the pleasant climate of Charlotte.

I think the NFL also understandably requires a certain amount of hotel rooms within some radius of the stadium. I know at one point many years ago, Charlotte had not hit this requirement. I'm not sure if that's changed since then.

A new stadium in Charlotte gets ONE Super Bowl and it will have to have a roof (no roof, no game). A new stadium does get us in the rotation for Final Fours and possibly a football national championship game. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JBS said:

A new stadium in Charlotte gets ONE Super Bowl and it will have to have a roof (no roof, no game). A new stadium does get us in the rotation for Final Fours and possibly a football national championship game. 

The economics of this are going to be very interesting.  How much money do you have to pump into a stadium in order to see the benefits of attracting major events?  Las Vegas and now Los Angeles having state of the art facilities and endless entertainment and lodging options is going to be really tough competition.   Maybe if the stadium is 10 years down the line we could be the flashiest thing out there at that point.

The economics of this are going to be very interesting.  How much money do you have to pump into a stadium in order to see the benefits of attracting major events?  Las Vegas and now Los Angeles having state of the art facilities and endless entertainment and lodging options is going to be really tough competition.   Maybe if the stadium is 10 years down the line we could be the flashiest thing out there at that point.

One benefit at least is that if Tepper hammers down the foundry land it will be the “flashiest” stadium with the closest proximity to its city’s center.
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, JeanClt said:

One benefit at least is that if Tepper hammers down the foundry land it will be the “flashiest” stadium with the closest proximity to its city’s center.

With its own built in Entertainment district, and SouthEnd's own retail/shopping/food/entertainment district starting less than a mile away. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

What other developer would find that property attractive? Tepper should not be the sole bidder. With giant projects a few blocks up the street and the highway so very close it may have other uses?

I feel like Tepper wants to have a legacy here in Charlotte with the moves he is making. He wants to be Charlotte's Rockefeller. Sports teams, development, donations. I wouldn't be surprised if he donates a crap ton to Queens to get naming rights on a bunch of stuff. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

It is going to be 46 degrees this Super Bowl Sunday and raining in Charlotte.... the exact reason we would be a one and done location to thank us for building a new stadium... until it starts becoming "too old" and we have to tear it down all over again to justify earning a second Super Bowl (such as Dallas that has hosted only once, despite massive population, hotels, great airport, central location, et.). I know we are warmer than Detroit, Boston, New York, et... but we are definitely much more miserable than the typical host cities the NFL goes back to time and time again because they have perfect winter weather. If you were spending $8,000 on tickets, would you rather spend time shopping and walking around with a 42 degree February day in Charlotte or a 80 degree day in Las Vegas? 

We now got Los Angeles (going to be 85 degrees this Super Bowl), Las Vegas (73 degrees), Phoenix (80 degrees), Miami (77 degrees), Tampa (65 degrees), Houston (59 degrees), New Orleans (54 degrees), et.. all eligible to host very pleasant Super Bowls when a city with a brand new stadium isn't up to bat. 

I hear you, and all that makes sense, but it’s the Super Bowl, right?  Are they worried it won’t sell out?  If the NFL sells every ticket they can, and they will every time, why do they care what people do when they leave the stadium?  

28 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

While money is no doubt a major focus with the Super Bowl, a pleasant fan experience is certainly at the center of it.  Do you think Jacksonville is ever going to get another one? 

Assuming the team doesn't relocate, they would need a new stadium and a ton of new hotels. So, unlikely in the foreseeable future. 

• Like 2