Charlotte Pipe &Foundry redevelopment

rockhilljames

14 minutes ago, nicholas said:

Ideally, US 74 should probably just be rerouted onto the southern part of I-485, and the existing route (Wilkinson, John Belk, Independence) could be signed as BUS 74.

NCDOT is already thinking this way, their “strategic transportation corridor” for US 74 (all the way from I-26 to Wilmington) considers the portion of the corridor that goes through the Charlotte metro as best routed along 85 in Gaston County to 485 to the Monroe Bypass. So I wouldn’t be surprised to eventually see Wilkinson and Independence signed as 74 Bus or 74 Alt.  

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, nicholas said:

Perhaps, but I was mainly trying to think up a way to possibly start removing I-277.  Closing the ramps to/from Freedom Dr might make us feel like we did something, but overall those ramps are only a fraction of a fraction of the problem.

Ideally, US 74 should probably just be rerouted onto the southern part of I-485, and the existing route (Wilkinson, John Belk, Independence) could be signed as BUS 74.

We have to change our mindset from "what can we do to make driving more tolerable?" to "what can we do to get people out of their cars?"  Limited access freeways were SUPPOSED to be for travel between cities, but due mainly to suburban growth, interstates and limited-access freeways became regular commuting routes for more and more people.  This lead to the existing higher-capacity roads becoming congested at peak travel times, so they were upgraded into limited-access freeways (looking at you, Independence Blvd) to help shuttle people from the suburbs into the central business district.  Now, in a phenomenon that should be surprising to no one, these same roads are more congested than ever, even though there are no stop lights or intersections to deal with.  Realistically, you can't out-build traffic, but almost no one has the balls to try anything different.  Winston-Salem had its downtown limited-access freeway closed for TWO FREAKING YEARS, and yet from what I have heard and witnessed, once people adjusted to there not being a freeway through downtown, it was as if BUS 40 never even existed in the first place.  Why exactly did we instead spend $100MM rebuilding it???

I imagine some users know by now that I am a car enthusiast, and I love to drive.  However, it would be nice to be able to bike/walk to work, the grocery store, etc at will, but unfortunately this has never been an option for me because I grew up in suburban subdivisions located too far away from anything to be able to do this.  Also, as much as I love driving, I can tell by experience and observation that many other drivers do not share this same joy, and drive mainly because cars are what our lives have revolved around for nearly a century now.  Due to not enjoying driving, they are not as good at it, and make things worse for the rest of us.

Really a shame the Red Line to North Meck suburbs died. Though I realize that's not the city or county's fault. In an ideal world, there'd be commuter trains to Mooresville, Gastonia, Concord/Kannapolis and down to Rock Hill. Coming from the NYC area my only complaint about Charlotte is the lack of commuter transport, but that's a very small complaint compared to the immeasurable ways the Charlotte area is better than the NYC area. Also, to be fair, the commuter rail in NJ was a total disaster, overcrowded, understaffed and constantly broken. Still, commuter rail spidering out to those major suburbs and ending all at Gateway would be great as long as they can do it without putting people out of their homes to build it. 

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SMSRedux said:

Anyone notice the new area massing shown during this meeting showing the Stadium and surrounding potential re-development concept of this area? 

I did, I'm surprised they went with an open stadium massing. 

32 minutes ago, Rufus said:

This would be a good screenshot to capture and add in any new development massing and missing development...hint...hint...hint

I dunno I don't like how they massed out the future, it doesn't look realistic.

Screengrab so it's easier to view. I like it as an ideal to strive towards. Nice density (6-20 stories), looks walkable, not a ton of parking garages. Also interesting is the more specific Silver Line routing - going over I-77 & down Bryant St w/ some sharp turns.
452918252_CPFMassing.thumb.JPG.2be58bcafd053e27696078d4b3243e1e.JPG

I’d like it if the stadium was incorporated into the neighborhood/surrounding buildings more like the Real Madrid inspiration in the YouTube. This reminds me of the Gulch and Mercedes Benz in Atlanta which misses the mark, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Mr Tepper made some news today at a park dedication in Rock Hill.  He told WBT radio that he was no longer interested in building a domed stadium after Covid and with the weather being so good here.  He also stated any new stadium would need to be 1/3 plan,  1/3 paid by taxpayers, 1/3 from PSL owners, 1/3 himself.   He also mentioned a soccer only stadium on the current practice fields site.  He sounded very unsure about building a new stadium but said renovations at the current 25 year old stadium still needs to be done.     Once I can find the audio or a news account I will post it.  But mentioned at the top of the hour news all day today on BT. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Mr Tepper made some news today at a park dedication in Rock Hill.  He told WBT radio that he was no longer interested in building a domed stadium after Covid and with the weather being so good here.  He also stated any new stadium would need to be 1/3 plan,  1/3 paid by taxpayers, 1/3 from PSL owners, 1/3 himself.   He also mentioned a soccer only stadium on the current practice fields site.  He sounded very unsure about building a new stadium but said renovations at the current 25 year old stadium still needs to be done.     Once I can find the audio or a news account I will post it.  But mentioned at the top of the hour news all day today on BT. 

https://twitter.com/i/status/1402341147972866053   Mr Tepper speaks himself about the domed stadium no way in H-e-double  Hockey stick he would build a domed stadium

• Thanks 3

Open air arenas were unused due to distancing, lockdown and other Covid matters during the worst of the pandemic. Baseball teams played in front of cut outs of spectators, open and enclosed stadiums alike. I do not understand the Covid issue about an enclosed stadium. 

I agree that with our weather it is not required nor perhaps preferred. The Hotspur stadium in London used by the NFL has coverage of most if not all of the seating area to protect spectators from rain. The roof is open to weather for the playing field.

https://populous.com/project/tottenham-hotspur-football-club

On 6/8/2021 at 5:20 PM, KJHburg said:

Little more of the interview where he talks specifically about the Pipe and Foundry land and why would that CEO donate it to city?  I know he was joking but 

I was wondering if there are potential environmental liabilities that he (or anyone else, really) would be unwilling to assume at any price (even $1, or free, or less than free).  But if the city owned the land,  like I think they do with the current stadium, then Mr Tepper would consider building there as a tenant.  That seems reasonable to me.   

• Like 1