Charlotte Pipe &Foundry redevelopment

rockhilljames

• 4 weeks later...

1 minute ago, Norm2 said:

I hope that some sort of park is built on this site. Charlotte needs a big park in the center of the city

I dunno, seems like freeway noise would make it pretty unpleasant.

3 hours ago, kermit said:

Trees do act as a buffer and reduce freeway noise 

Edit: many of us on here would love a park on a freeway cap. That would be just as noisy, if not more so being directly on top of the freeway. 

A park next to or on top of the freeway would be fine

Edited by Norm2
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Norm2 said:

I hope that some sort of park is built on this site. Charlotte needs a big park in the center of the city

I believe they are only being required to have a 2.5 acre park, per my conversation with Meck Parks, I hope they do more.

As far as freeway noise goes, it only annoys my wife when I'm on my AirPods on the phone with her, otherwise it's not that big of a nuisance. 

Edited by CLT Development
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, CLT Development said:

I believe they are only being required to have a 2.5 acre park, per my conversation with Meck Parks, I hope they do more.

As far as freeway noise goes, it only annoys my wife when I'm on my AirPods on the phone with her, otherwise it's not that big of a nuisance. 

Charlotte, the city of small parks lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, kermit said:

Frasier Park is right next to 77 and I've never found it unpleasant. Haven't heard of any widespread complaints about it either.

• Like 1

It could just be that I am particularly sensitive to that sound, I can’t stand it. 

Honest question, are there any noteworthy parks adjacent to freeways? I am sure there are quite a few parks (meaning green grassy areas), I am just wondering if any of them are well used?

Falls Park in Greenville

Freedom Park

Dolores Park in San Francisco

Piedmont Park in Atlanta

None of these are beside freeways. Not saying this never happens, but I can’t think of any noteworthy parks in a similar situation to the Pipe Factory land. If it is going to end up as a mediocre patch of grass, I would think we would all be better off with (soundproofed) residential and commercial space rather than a park. 

Meh, NBD. Just seems like a weird choice to me.

IMG_1508.png

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kermit said:

It could just be that I am particularly sensitive to that sound, I can’t stand it. 

Honest question, are there any noteworthy parks adjacent to freeways? I am sure there are quite a few parks (meaning green grassy areas), I am just wondering if any of them are well used?

Falls Park in Greenville

Freedom Park

Piedmont Park in Atlanta

None of these are beside freeways. Not saying this never happens, but I can’t think of any noteworthy parks in a similar situation to the Pipe Factory land. If it is going to end up as a mediocre patch of grass, I would think we would all be better off with (soundproofed) residential and commercial space rather than a park. 

IMG_1508.png

If a park or signature plaza is framed by buildings, that might block out noise.  Personally I’d rather see signature hard scaped plazas or piazzas instead of more park lawns.  Iron Square anyone?

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Falls Park in Greenville

Freedom Park

Piedmont Park in Atlanta

DC jumped to mind. although it's perhaps more accurate to say that the freeways are running through their parks. 

45 minutes ago, RANYC said:

If a park or signature plaza is framed by buildings, that might block out noise.  Personally I’d rather see signature hard scaped plazas or piazzas instead of more park lawns.  Iron Square anyone?

I would imagine that any park would be framed by buildings and closest to Morhead. There's no point to building a park hewn in by highways that cannot be crossed. I will also mention that I asked Meck Parks to push for more than 2.5 acres, not that my voice carries THAT much weight. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

I would imagine that any park would be framed by buildings and closest to Morhead. There's no point to building a park hewn in by highways that cannot be crossed. I will also mention that I asked Meck Parks to push for more than 2.5 acres, not that my voice carries THAT much weight. 

Your voice does carry weight, and any chance I can get you on board with a hard-scaped signature plaza in the vein of a Trafalgar Square?  Can you relay that to Meck Parks or are they constrained by policy to only doing the grassy, park lawn style spaces they’ve typically done?  We won’t have the largest urban park space in Charlotte anytime ever, but we could have the largest activated urban square I’d imagine - if we’re looking for superlatives.  

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 4