Charlotte Pipe &Foundry redevelopment

rockhilljames

3 minutes ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

Hear me out.

Many, many of us here and elsewhere have mentioned how Charlotte needs to have a museum dedicated to the extensive gold history that greatly influenced the growth and development of our fair city.  Could this be our last opportunity to do such with a combined underground portion leftover from that time?

Now, I know to save any portion will take an enormous amount of planning and money. But maybe the majority of the museum could be above or slightly below ground level. Then, if the cost to "restore" the shafts is too high, maybe instead sink a reinforced elevator shaft or two down that intersects a few of the remaining tunnels. Those tunnels then could be lit up within so you can see down through them from the elevators windows as a guide discusses various parts of the history of the mines/ gold. There can be many restored historic/remade mining pieces placed in situ for visitors to visualize the conditions of the mines.

Perhaps closer to the surface above the historic tunnels is a interactive mock / realistic tunnel visitors can walk through. To carrying this idea further, a good bit of the museum's pathways from exhibit to exhibit could be made to look like these mock mine tunnels giving the visitors a feel for what it be like being underground for extended periods (this part would have to necessarily be underground for obvious cost reasons).

IDK, the details could be filled in later. But could this be the time to secure this concept and bring it to fruition? Certainly this would be a better way to anchor the names of these 2 new neighborhoods than a measly little sign that's says "here lies the site of the former St Catherine mine under this 6 story parking deck"? Plus give at least one more reason to bring visitors to our city?

This is a concept I've latched onto pretty hard since I first heard it mentioned by one of you on this site. Though I'm not in either of these fields, my mom is the one who got me interested in geology and mining. She's an alumna of Colorado School of Mines. Personally I'd love to take her to this future museum and watch her geek out. 

What are y'allsthoughts on whether this could actually happen?

I like the idea but the state already supports and funds Reed Gold Mine State Historical Site in Cabarrus county.  Their small museum covers much of the history of the gold mining in the Charlotte area.  Plus they have a mine shaft you can go into. 

However I do think Charlotte should do something more for its gold history.  Would love to see a big donation from someone or some foundation to kick start this effort. For gold mining lead to the US Mint which led to the Fed Reserve office and big banks.  This was the gold mining region in this country from its inception up until 1849 when they found gold in California.  

• Like 4

On 10/31/2023 at 2:11 AM, 11 HouseBZ said:

Hear me out.

Many, many of us here and elsewhere have mentioned how Charlotte needs to have a museum dedicated to the extensive gold history that greatly influenced the growth and development of our fair city.  Could this be our last opportunity to do such with a combined underground portion leftover from that time?

Now, I know to save any portion will take an enormous amount of planning and money. But maybe the majority of the museum could be above or slightly below ground level. Then, if the cost to "restore" the shafts is too high, maybe instead sink a reinforced elevator shaft or two down that intersects a few of the remaining tunnels. Those tunnels then could be lit up within so you can see down through them from the elevators windows as a guide discusses various parts of the history of the mines/ gold. There can be many restored historic/remade mining pieces placed in situ for visitors to visualize the conditions of the mines.

Perhaps closer to the surface above the historic tunnels is a interactive mock / realistic tunnel visitors can walk through. To carrying this idea further, a good bit of the museum's pathways from exhibit to exhibit could be made to look like these mock mine tunnels giving the visitors a feel for what it be like being underground for extended periods (this part would have to necessarily be underground for obvious cost reasons).

IDK, the details could be filled in later. But could this be the time to secure this concept and bring it to fruition? Certainly this would be a better way to anchor the names of these 2 new neighborhoods than a measly little sign that's says "here lies the site of the former St Catherine mine under this 6 story parking deck"? Plus give at least one more reason to bring visitors to our city?

This is a concept I've latched onto pretty hard since I first heard it mentioned by one of you on this site. Though I'm not in either of these fields, my mom is the one who got me interested in geology and mining. She's an alumna of Colorado School of Mines. Personally I'd love to take her to this future museum and watch her geek out. 

I think this is such a great idea!  I'd certainly donate to it myself.  Is there ANYONE here, on this forum who has a connection with the Dowds?   

If I were a younger man, I swear I'd make some kind of presentation to the Dowds or City Council, or someone, with this idea,  Even if it were just to come in as a restaurant or pub.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CLT Development said:

As a senior leader of the museum you are talking about we are not principally located in uptown, and there is no plan to deprioritize Randolph, if anything there is a plan to re-prioritize Randolph as it has proven to be by far the most accessible location. The museum also only displays about 6-8% of it's collection at any given time, the Mint's collection is 4-5x the size of North Carolina Museum of Art, we need MORE space not less.

I reread your post, unfortunately the Mint building really is a large part of the identity of the institution. If anything I would do something even more ratical than what you are suggesting and merge Museum of the New South with the Charlotte History Museum, and reestablish those in the Gold District with a brand new building. 

Charlotte really needs a natural history museum, can have the history of the native Americans that lived in the area before settler's arrived, the history of Charlotte, a gold mine, and then revolving exhibits. 

• Like 3

On 10/31/2023 at 2:11 AM, 11 HouseBZ said:

Hear me out.

Count me in in any way I can help!  Fantastic idea!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I was thinking about this property the other day for no reason and went by and took a look at the site.  Still a little bit of activity at the plant probably dismantling equipment etc.  I hope 2024 is the year a major announcement happens with a new owner and my prediction if that does happen this could develop quicker than First Ward or maybe even Brooklyn.   As this would be all private owners  unlike involving reluctant landowners or government agencies.  

55.5 acres but 31.4 acres is inside the 277 loop off Morehead and is a good bit vacant.  1200 feet on I-77. 1100 feet frontage on 277.  1200 feet on Morehead Street.

the smaller part is where the actual plant is located outside 277 loop.  The views of the uptown skyline would be awesome.   A few buildings on the larger north parcel including a training center for CP&F.  

The Iron District (irondistrictcharlotte.com)

I will put this property on the 2024 watch list.  

20240104_122900.jpg

20240104_122908.jpg

20240104_122912.jpg

20240104_122916.jpg

20240104_123019.jpg

20240104_123034.jpg

20240104_123039.jpg

It would make a great location for a baseball stadium - home plate backing up to 77/277 interchange, outfield opening towards the skyline, plenty of room beyond for development.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, jthomas said:

It would make a great location for a baseball stadium - home plate backing up to 77/277 interchange, outfield opening towards the skyline, plenty of room beyond for development.

i think a new NASCAR Speedway

• Haha 2

On 1/5/2024 at 5:35 PM, go_vertical said:

Does anyone have any idea how intensive soil remediation is going to be here?  I imagine that alone is going to be a pretty drawn-out process.

I would think the factory land  will be as bad, or worse, than the current Panthers practice facility land on Cedar (that land was a scrapyard for the pipe factory before it was repurposed for the Panthers). I was not here when the remediation on Cedar was being done but I know that they only partially remediated it (not sure what that means) so the land still cannot be used for ground-level residential. 

Having said that, I suspect a stadium project will require removing nearly all of the soil on the site anyway, so the only big adjustment the contamination will require will be much higher dump fees. This site prep will be fun to watch since it will certainly uncover a bunch of mine shafts.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, go_vertical said:

Does anyone have any idea how intensive soil remediation is going to be here?  I imagine that alone is going to be a pretty drawn-out process.

some of the soil remedeition on this property has already been done according to the NC Brownfields website.  Mainly on the inside 277 loop side where CP&F built some buildings the training facility for example.  Obviously the main plant area outside 277 has not started but some of this property  could be a go relatively quickly.   Beazer Homes planned to build 500 plus townhomes on this property before 2008 and some work was done then.  

and if some of this property inside 277 needed to air out it has years and years to do that.    Check NC Brownfields webpage and look at some of these parcels.  

• Like 4

I am a little concerned that if this development facilitates more flight to quality, it will further exasperate Uptown vacancies. @KJHburg or @CLT Development, any thoughts on impact? Any possibility for new -to-market tenants?

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2024/01/08/commercial-real-estate-council-office-woes.html

image.png.9a1b79fe3e3a9778db2afda4e31aeedb.png

Keep in mind there is brand new office campus sitting empty in University.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

I am a little concerned that if this development facilitates more flight to quality, it will further exasperate Uptown vacancies. @KJHburg or @CLT Development, any thoughts on impact? Any possibility for new -to-market tenants?

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2024/01/08/commercial-real-estate-council-office-woes.html

image.png.9a1b79fe3e3a9778db2afda4e31aeedb.png

Keep in mind there is brand new office campus sitting empty in University.

The situation playing out in Charlotte and all over the country is quite sad, actually.  City skylines have become sources of pride, identity, and heritage for many, and while they're privately owned, people often regard them as public monuments.  But they're not.  It's not out of the realm of possibility that some of these skyscrapers may be so far gone and out of demand, they may need to come down, but that's impossible medicine to swallow for many.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, CLT Development said:

Based on the buyer I think it is, I would imagine this will be heavily residential, but you do have a point. I'm worried about office too, and I'm sure the flight to quality will continue through the Iron District. But I'd love to see a cluster campus for a local college. UNCC has planted its stake in First Ward but why stop there, why not take up space in a legacy office building that would give them center city access. I think there are solutions for our B&C level buildings, we just have to think outside the box and reconfigure them for new uses and small businesses.

Iron District could be heavily residential and also have institutional uses like perhaps a new stadium even if it's perhaps a dedicated pro-soccer stadium.  Europe does it all the time.  I'm less bent on the Iron District having skyscrapers and instead interested in it prioritizing pedestrians and featuring urban density, even if low and mid-rise only.  I'd like for us to start looking at places like London and Munich as inspirations because I don't find much of anywhere in America getting it all that right.

London Stadium District.png

London Stadium 2.png

Edited by RANYC
  • Thanks 2

On 1/7/2024 at 4:06 PM, CLT Development said:

Firstly, expect news on this site soon, and no it will have nothing to do with the Panthers. Secondly, the vast majority of this land shouldn't be all that bad from a remediation standpoint. Honeywell is sitting on land that had simlar uses afterall. Most of this site didn't have manufacturing uses it was storage yard. Now the century-plus old factory, that'll be a nightmare. But it might just take pouring a gigantic concrete cap which will be expensive but effective. 

Come on give us the news! 

• Haha 1