Travel observations and new developments of other cities and countries

markhollin

3 hours ago, nashmoney said:

Riding Nashville’s wave of national popularity, themed Yankee-tonks have popped up in many cities, channeling a crude version of Music City’s culture, sounds, and food

https://www.eater.com/23620493/nashville-themed-bars-honky-tonk-restaurants

Our influence is world known. From music, food, to culture, the Nashville brand is strong! 

The article does have a good discussion of how the nice, packaged-and-tied-with-a-bow brand is contributing to the Disney-fication of Nashville, though. With the good comes the bad.

These places are not for transplants missing home or even for people aiming to learn more about Nashville’s culture. They are to Nashville what tiki bars were to Polynesia in the 1950s, an affordable escape hatch into a geographically murky paradise without concern for appropriation or authenticity. Yankee-tonks replace bamboo with corrugated tin, hula shows with line dances, rum drinks with whiskey, and exotica with country. They seem like an excuse for Bostonians or New Yorkers to slip on the party boots without having to spring for a plane ticket or one of the country’s most expensive hotel rooms — but they’re also evidence of how the culture of Nashville itself has eroded as the city’s heart and soul have been packaged for export.

• Like 3

Oy!  Thanks for the link, but it was a chore for me to get about midway then I ditched it.  I started reading it thinking it was about "Yankee Tonks"... but the writer lapsed into the same old "Nashville's not like it used to be" drivel... despite the fact he mocked it when he lived there.  I don't mean to offend anyone, but that's my quick 'swipe'. 

1200 W. Fulton will be 1.5 million square feet of office, lab space, apartments, hotel, and a fitness center.  (images courtesy of Urbanize - Chicago)  The development will yield 500 apartments and 200 hotel rooms.  The tower will be roughly 50 stories and about 600 feet.  A second building will be 25 stories and offer 200,000 square feet of office space.  The third building will offer 200,00 sf of life sciences and lab space across 10 stories.

Lead%20Image%20-%201200%20W.%20Fulton%20Market%20-%20Hartshorne%20Plunkard%20Architecture.jpg?itok=kmTcEWrs

1200%20W.%20Fulton%20Market%20-%202%20-%20Hartshorne%20Plunkard%20Architecture.jpg?itok=ZgnC4vy9

• Like 4