Travel observations and new developments of other cities and countries

markhollin

Driving from Nashville to Houston over the weekend, I took a slight detour down through New Orleans to do some sightseeing and picture taking.

First stop, historic St. Louis Cemetery # 1.  Among the famous residents of this historic property is Marie Laveau… a woman who dabbled in the arts of botanical “witchery.”Unfortunately, admittance is only permitted as a part of a tour, and all of Saturday’s tour were sold out. So, my friend and I took photos over the walls, under and through gates, and by standing on a five gallon bucket that was littering the sidewalk.  Not bad for a spur of the moment trek off the planned travel route..

8DC5AE5D-7220-4177-A2C7-15ECEB17A7D0.jpeg

F2C2A3A7-04A2-4CB1-B530-8BAEFFB0E96A.jpeg

E8D1607E-F4B1-4F7B-8F2A-F14D564EA43D.jpeg

DFF10C27-60C0-4AAB-8D9F-6F72E231A9D2.jpeg

FDF1434B-32C6-40EC-AD53-39D563B73DDA.jpeg

8EE0AE5F-F719-42F2-BC3B-72FDA277AE51.jpeg

A22145D0-0F4E-4791-8B4B-0C329F5BC304.jpeg

66614FFC-A385-48D4-97C6-379AE9019A9E.jpeg

D58CEDEA-A08C-488A-8617-4736F16D2854.jpeg

DA628BCD-64FE-417D-8C04-9F8F0395FC67.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

NOLA can be a very polarizing city, but something about it is so magnetic — I would move there in a heartbeat if the right opportunity presented itself. Its growth is nowhere near as explosive as Nashville's, but it's exciting to watch the city grow at its own pace.

• Like 3

It’s a beautiful thing! We can only dream of here in Nashville. Growing up in Connecticut, and using the trains and subway to go into the city, often weekly was just common practice. That’s why it’s hard for me to understand, what’s the hold up here in the South. Seems like many are reluctant to give up their cars , and try something new. But it just works , people it just works ! 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Is that part of the Gateway transit (tunnel) project? 

No. This was a part of the East Side Access project to bring the LIRR to Grand Central instead of having to backtrack from Penn Station. I just read the projects a part of the mega project funding the gov. released yesterday though and there is funding for a Hudson Yards concrete project that will tie in with the Gateway project. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2/1/2023 at 3:30 PM, donNdonelson2 said:

My January 4 Uber from LaGuardia to midtown Manhattan was over $70 with tip! Nice to hear that another option will be available eventually.

If you were going back next month, say for a couple of shows.  Would you Uber/Lyft again or taxi?

Edited by tragenvol