MEMPHIS & KNOXVILLE/CHATTANOOGA/HUNSTVILLE BOARDS

smeagolsfree

18 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Haywood County has lost 15% of its population since 1980 which is pretty typical of rural West Tennessee counties.  I am very excited for rural West Tennessee which will hugely benefit from this, maybe even more than Memphis will benefit from it.  This megasite is closer to downtown Jackson than it is to downtown Memphis and will likely employ people from all over the western third of the state.  

image.png.83817355cea93befa7e6d12f0b8b5b99.png

Downtown Jackson is only about 5 miles closer than downtown Memphis.  With 5700+ employees, people will live all over, probably even Arkansas and Mississippi.  I'm guessing that the cities that get the most growth from it are Arlington and Lakeland which are 20 and 28 miles away down I-40.  Both have already seen steady growth over the past decade and were already poised for more growth.  This project will likely accelerate their growth even more. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2021 at 7:58 PM, UrbanWes03 said:

Just want to let anyone who is interested know that I am going to try and post some updates on projects in and around Knoxville as regularly as I can since I live and attend UTK there. I'll try to cover as many projects as I can, but because I am in school, the updates won't be daily, but I will try and post as time allows! Thanks and I hope you all enjoy.

On 11/10/2021 at 8:11 PM, smeagolsfree said:

Thanks Wes!

Those boards need some love.

I should have clarified this when I posted, but these updates will be on the Knoxville Construction and Updates board, not this one. Just in case anyone was confused! Thanks again everyone. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, UrbanWes03 said:

This looks great! So grand and classical. Definitely an impressive addition to Huntsville, especially with it being on the river. 

That looks like a man made lake/creek, I can promise you that it's not on the river.  The Tennessee River is about 10 miles south of this location.

• Haha 1

Several Friday evenings ago, wife and I met a friend who was there with their son to visit UTK campus that day.  We walked around Market Square and ate at a place on Gay Street. There were people everywhere. Surprisingly more on Gay St. than in Market. If Knoxville can get its act together and get more residential (I saw about 3-4 apartment blocks under construction) and link the various hubs like Market Square/Gay, Old City and the new ballpark, it will have one of the best downtowns of a city its size. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Yes! That's our municipal stadium, Finley (cap. 20K) and home of the UTC Mocs football team and Chattanooga Football Club. I was there last night watching the McCallie Blue Tornado defeat the Montgomery Bell Academy Big Red.  This view is toward the NW, toward the Tennessee River west of downtown. You can see Raccoon Mtn and its "conjoined twin" Elder Mtn in the background.  That old 6-story building in the back has been a subject of many renovation discussions. It's about 100 years old and abandoned (a real hazard), originally an office building for an adjacent foundry.  About 15 years ago a young man was seriously injured in a fall from one of the upper floors to the ground floor. A portion of the foundry is visible in the background right and now houses the Chattanooga Market. The area surrounding the stadium has seen a lot of residential development in recent years. Just outside the stadium looking straight ahead will be The Bend, the continuation of the city's riverfront redevelopment which will include lots of mixed-use and an improved riverside link of the Riverwalk greenway. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 4