Elliston Place Holiday Inn Express, 8 stories, 184 rooms, internal garage

markhollin

At least the building does address the sidewalk on both Elliston and Louise. And frankly, looking at the two buildings across Elliston at that corner, how out of place will this really look?

(I’m editing to add this to make my point more clear...All of us would prefer the old apartment buildings remain and be updated to stand another fifty years. My words above were to simply state that given the sad reality of them being torn down, AND with what is already standing at this intersection, the proposed building isn’t going to be the worst of the four corners. Unfortunately, Elliston Place has been the victim of architectural malpractice for several decades. This project isn’t the worst of the bad examples along this street.)

2A536E9C-99F4-4D83-9642-C3D05C043D10.jpeg

ECCA73D3-A26B-4517-8A20-CB7FF7081D7D.jpeg

Edited by donNdonelson2
Context
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, keepnashvillehistory said:

I am so tired of watching our history disappear to be replaced by cheaply constructed buildings that could be sitting anywhere in the country.  We are losing what makes Nashville special.  I am from L.A. and I grew up with an almost complete absence of any historical areas because of L.A.'s willingness to raze everything for a new strip mall.  Please contact the council member for this district.  Brandon Taylor is newly elected and I am hoping that he brings fresh perspective and a willingness to push for protection of our city's beauty.  Please contact him and urge others to do so to voice opposition to the destruction of this beautiful corner.  [email protected], 615.432.1321.  We need to let developers know that we expect and deserve more.  

Well said @keepnashvillehistory and welcome to the forum!

49 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Outside of the zoning of the property. The city has no legs to stand on with demands. People complain about zoning? This is why it is important. Looking over Muni code and Parcel Viewer there is nothing in this area. There is the Urban Zoning Overlay, but there is nothing else that really protects the "character" of what Elliston Place is. If you want protections for these neighborhoods, you need to talk with neighborhood associations the local council people to provide protections. I tend to lean on the idea that people coming in and doing the right thing should be the first option, but if there are elements that need to be protected, there needs to be elements put in place.

If we want Nashville to have more protections, the zoning and overlays need to be increased.

Unfortunately, you are right about this. Metro dropped the ball decades ago and frankly it is just too late for many of the older structures in this city. Best case scenario is they implement a historic zoning overlay, but I will guarantee the remaining property owner in the area will moan and groan about that saying it is too intrusive on their property rights, which may be true. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

• Like 2

On 4/25/2020 at 11:35 AM, keepnashvillehistory said:

I am so tired of watching our history disappear to be replaced by cheaply constructed buildings that could be sitting anywhere in the country.  We are losing what makes Nashville special.  I am from L.A. and I grew up with an almost complete absence of any historical areas because of L.A.'s willingness to raze everything for a new strip mall.  Please contact the council member for this district.  Brandon Taylor is newly elected and I am hoping that he brings fresh perspective and a willingness to push for protection of our city's beauty.  Please contact him and urge others to do so to voice opposition to the destruction of this beautiful corner.  [email protected], 615.432.1321.  We need to let developers know that we expect and deserve more.  

Username checks out. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, fishsticks176 said:

Cafe Coco just announced that they're permanently closing. This whole area is going to have lost its character in a few years :(

What a loss. I spent many a late night there. 

Here’s a link to the Facebook post:

https://www.facebook.com/162651153768836/posts/3182629488437639/?d=n

Dear Patrons and Friends,
Cafe Coco is where I started my love affair twenty-five years ago with Nashville. You embraced us and we grew over the years into a cafe/coffee shop/music venue hybrid space where the door was always open and everyone was always welcome. That success enabled me to open up Coco’s Italian Market and Restaurant, Coco’s West Italian Restaurant, Coco’s at Green Hills Mall, Coco’s Event Center and a soon to be open location in Downtown Nashville at the new food hall. You’ve allowed me to share my love of all things Italian-great products sourced directly from Italy and great Italian food, made with love-and you’ve loved all of these right back (we’ve even opened up a full service travel agency with dedicated Italian guided tours). Thank you for that.

With the new normal that we are all facing, we in the restaurant industry are being forced to take a hard look at our business and see how we can adapt successfully for the new era. That, combined with the changing landscape of Nashville has given me an opportunity to evolve this business. It’s  time, as they say in Italy, to bring Cafe Coco ‘into the family’. 

With that in mind, we will be saying goodbye to Cafe Coco and will be opening under a new name and concept, an Italian fast service cafe and market with a focus on great products, take away, local delivery and Italian catering trays. 

And, while we won’t be a music venue anymore, we hope to be your new go to place for great Italian market products, fresh produce, house ground coffee and homemade Italian dishes, made with recipes that go back in my family for generations.  I hope you’ll show our new offering the same love you’ve always shown for Coco’s.

From the bottom of our hearts, thank you for embracing and supporting Cafe Coco for 25 years and for allowing us to be a small part of your lives. These walls have witnessed a lot of amazing talent, friendships and conversations over the years. 

We hope to see you soon at Coco’s Italian Market and Cafe. 
-Chuck

Edited by downtownresident
Added text of the Facebook post/link
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, fishsticks176 said:

Cafe Coco just announced that they're permanently closing. This whole area is going to have lost its character in a few years :(

Dang, I have many fond memories at that place. I loved their open mic nights and had many a first date there. I always loved going there before and after shows at Exit/Inn and after Vandy ballgames.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Metro Board of Zoning Appeals on Thursday rejected a request for a parking variance related to a hotel proposed for Elliston Place — with more than 2,500 citizens opposing the planned project having submitted signed letters to the city.

The hotel would replace the beloved Louise Douglas Apartments on Elliston Place within the Rock Block. A fall start had been eyed but it is unclear how the vote might impact that start date.

More at Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21134532/bza-rejects-variance-for-proposed-rock-block-hotel

Here is a new rendering that shows the proposed current design of the hotel at the far end of Elliston Place. In the foreground is the new Elliston Soda Shop and Tony G's Rock Block Flats.

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 8.21.09 AM.png

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Personally...I think the developer should be forced to build a structure that is more of the Nashville red-brick style in that spot...something similar to 333 in the Gulch.

But there is no historic design overlay or zoning in place to require any such specific style of building. If they modify the plan to include the parking requirement they can build something with the current design’s architectural style. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

But there is no historic design overlay or zoning in place to require any such specific style of building. If they modify the plan to include the parking requirement they can build something with the current design’s architectural style. 

Didn't realize there was no historic overlay.  That stinks.

^That, followed by the Logan's Roadhouse and the Krispy Kreme on the other end of the strip, are the properties I really wish would get redeveloped.... but I know that since they're money makers and big chains that isn't likely to happen any time soon.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

^That, followed by the Logan's Roadhouse and the Krispy Kreme on the other end of the strip, are the properties I really wish would get redeveloped.... but I know that since they're money makers and big chains that isn't likely to happen any time soon.  

Logan’s just became Martin’s BBQ and got some renovations I believe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, fishsticks176 said:

Logan’s just became Martin’s BBQ and got some renovations I believe. 

Oh nice!  I wasn't aware of that... still not a fan of the building but it Martin's certainly fits the neighborhood a lot better!  And I wouldn't mind Krispy Kreme there a bit if their outlet wasn't built in a suburban style that takes up a huge prime lot... although like I said above, I'm sure it makes a ton of money especially with the drive-thru so I don't expect it to go anywhere.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The 3 Louise Douglas Apt. Buildings (1930s era brick structures) at 2221 Ellison Place, 114 Louise Ave., and 118 Louise Ave. are coming down via permits totaling $150,000 for Tiny's Construction. 

Well, poop.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21142871/sylvan-supply-opens-on-west-side

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 8

• 10 months later...

A first quarter 2022 start is being planned for the 8 story, 168 room Holiday Inn Express at 2221 Elliston Place.  A late 2023 completion is the goal. Southeast Venture will be the architect. A construction loan and general contractor are still being finalized. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/early-2022-start-eyed-for-elliston-place-hotel-project/article_74641fda-d506-11eb-8c92-8fad535bd8c8.html

• Sad 5