Go Gators!

dcluley98

On 10/4/2022 at 1:51 PM, spenser1058 said:

You know you’re just hoping for another bowl game with our Knights!

I wonder whether UCF would make it two in a row...UF is very vulnerable this season.  They will probably lose on Saturday of their Swiss cheese defense continues playing the way it has been.  Has been...has-been...yes, good phrase to describe UF's defensive play.   Has-beens.

23 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

It’s hard to expect loyalty from the kids when the coaches have none. I still believe the problem with Heup at UCF was that he clearly had no desire to be there. It was nothing more than a stepping stone. He is so much different on Rocky Top and you can see the results.

Then there’s Jeff Scott at USF. His first year in Temple Terrace , he showed up at the Clemson bowl game in CLEMSON SWAG. Any questions where his loyalty is? It shows (so far, one(!) win against FBS opponents with Duh Cows).

yeah, college football is changing.  loyalties and all.

It's funny that at Bama, they got a coach who showed no loyalty to MSU, LSU, and the Dolphins, but, knock on wood, is going on, what, 15 or 16 years with The Tide?  Who would've thunk?

Jeff Scott made UF look like amateurs...maybe they are this season...

The Gators played Mizzou today, and let’s just say “a win is a win”, which takes them to 4-2.

The most overrated team in the history of the universe, The University of Miami Tropical Depression, lost to Chapel Hill. Da Spectacular U is now, ummmm, 2-3.

Duh Cows did what they do, lose, although they weren’t nearly as bad as the 27-point spread suggested they would be. Look for Cincy to drop from the Top 25, and the lads at the Temple Terrace School of Tiddlywinks drop to 1-5 on the season.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Gators are doing about what they thought they would do, maybe even a little bit better. 

Oklahoma lost to Texas today 49-0. . .  WOW! 

After the DG affair, I’m enjoying a little schadenfreude with what’s happening with Oklahoma. I do hope things are ok for him with the concussion, though.

Just to finish up, FSU lost to the Wolfpack 19-17 in a heartbreaker.

One last note - remember how li’l ol’ MTSU took out Da Mighty U a couple of weeks back? Well. Yesterday, UAB, ummm, “Blazed” the Blue Raiders 41-14. Maybe UM should consider a change to C-USA? Just a thought…

Our Knights have a bye week - they’re back Thursday at the Bounce House vs. Temple. 

Charge On!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Volusia County reports in:

B-CU lost to TSU in Nashville and Stetson lost to Marist at home. 

I know that @HankStrongwill be heartbroken that the Zips lost as usual (I just like their name a lot and that they were once coached by some of the Bowdens).

Akron is always good for a homecoming opponent!

• Haha 1

On 10/8/2022 at 7:49 PM, spenser1058 said:

The Gators played Mizzou today, and let’s just say “a win is a win”, which takes them to 4-2.

The most overrated team in the history of the universe, The University of Miami Tropical Depression, lost to Chapel Hill. Da Spectacular U is now, ummmm, 2-3.

Duh Cows did what they do, lose, although they weren’t nearly as bad as the 27-point spread suggested they would be. Look for Cincy to drop from the Top 25, and the lads at the Temple Terrace School of Tiddlywinks drop to 1-5 on the season.

The Miami Tropical Depression.  I love it!  Gosh, Spenser, that's hilarious!

Yep.  Dem 'ole Gayterz iz just gettin' it dun.

We got 4 wins...Vandy is no guaranty.  LSU is gonna be pissed. Kelly has a lot to prove; he will not want to lose to Bayou Billy.  That's gonna be a toughie.  LSU got schooled by Jabba.

If UF beats LSU, we will be in very good shape on the season.

Not to make more of this win than need be, but the two INT's were by that kid who got hurt in 2020 and did not play last year.  Man, was he in tune with Mizzou's QB.  If it wasn't for him, we would've lost.  We left 6pts on the field in missed FG's and AR threw that pick late 4th quarter...WTF?

Miami- a Tarheel buddy texted me about that win; I missed the game but watched the highlights...wow... Sugar 'Cane fans are not too happy right now.  

Temple Terrace School of Tiddlywinks.  LMAO.

Yeah, I didn't know about FSU's loss until the next day.  Miami fans think FSU will clobber them this season.

The way UF is playing, I wouldn't be surprised if FSU is favored in that game in Tally.  Maybe UF turned the corner with this win, Billy's first SEC win. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Billy Napier's record in close games tops Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney - by a lot

(Via Tampa Bay Times)
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/gators/2022/10/13/florida-gators-billy-napier-nick-saban-dabo-swinney-jimbo-fisher-uf-football/

Billyball!

my default prediction is that UF loses on Saturday night.  There is no Max Johnson anymore (Brad's kid) and no blood vendetta against the O&B.  Funny...b/c Max is at A&M now and will be all too familiar with UF, a team he is 2-0 against

UF should win, though, b/c it's a home game.  well, they lost to UK at home so throw that logic out the window...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

my default prediction is that UF loses on Saturday night.  There is no Max Johnson anymore (Brad's kid) and no blood vendetta against the O&B.  Funny...b/c Max is at A&M now and will be all too familiar with UF, a team he is 2-0 against

UF should win, though, b/c it's a home game.  well, they lost to UK at home so throw that logic out the window...

Don’t worry - Bianchi says Gators by 7…

11 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Don’t worry - Bianchi says Gators by 7…

I hope he's right.  But if AR is a head case once more, those five star athletes on LSU's roster will make us pay dearly.  I really believe that Emory Jones being on the team last year and his slow decision making going thru his progressions spilled over onto AR...  Trask's 2020's genius didn't, apparently, since AR was too busy doing backflips and imitating Trump on Twitter instead of paying attention...   that still rubs me wrong.

• Like 1

Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon? Billy will!

UF lands top Tampa DB Dijon Johnson, Gators’ 2023 recruiting class moves to 8th
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-gators/os-sp-uf-florida-gators-dijon-johnson-2023-class-1015-20221013-6psicn4t5jg5ddopghfgcbcsnm-story.html

From The Sentinel 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon? Billy will!

UF lands top Tampa DB Dijon Johnson, Gators’ 2023 recruiting class moves to 8th
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-gators/os-sp-uf-florida-gators-dijon-johnson-2023-class-1015-20221013-6psicn4t5jg5ddopghfgcbcsnm-story.html

From The Sentinel 

yes, this was a good once...him and the other one that's a 3-star that a chunk of top schools wanted.  both in the same day.

now they need to get off their laurels and prepare for LSU....  Kelly really needs to beat Bayou Billy and they will pull out all the stops.  hopefully AR is up for the task of playing sound football...

the good news is that it's a night game!  out from the cellar of the noon televised game slot...

8 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

yes, this was a good once...him and the other one that's a 3-star that a chunk of top schools wanted.  both in the same day.

now they need to get off their laurels and prepare for LSU....  Kelly really needs to beat Bayou Billy and they will pull out all the stops.  hopefully AR is up for the task of playing sound football...

the good news is that it's a night game!  out from the cellar of the noon televised game slot...

The drama about “what if” LSU hired Billy first has been quite entertaining…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jrs2 said:

if they lose to Billy that will be very bad for LSU...that's what worries me...

What’s odd to me, and I guess it’s the whole loss of tradition that college football is undergoing, is that Coach Kelly seems like a total fish out of water at LSU.

Compare that with Heup on Rocky Top. He seems totally in his element up there in a way he never did at UCF. I never knew Heup could smile but at Neyland he does it all the time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

What’s odd to me, and I guess it’s the whole loss of tradition that college football is undergoing, is that Coach Kelly seems like a total fish out of water at LSU.

Compare that with Heup on Rocky Top. He seems totally in his element up there in a way he never did at UCF. I never knew Heup could smile but at Neyland he does it all the time.

They say a coach has to be a good fit for the program…

I still can’t understand why Kelly left ND.  Has ND fallen that much?  Not that LSU is any kind of slacker program…but then again, when C.U.M. chose the UF job over ND back in December 2004 when they kept talking about that ND clause in his Utah contract, that sent shockwaves thru the NCAA.  And when he won the BCS in year two, that was a tough pill to swallow for ND.  Then ND made it to the BCS against Saban, lost effortlessly, Kelly was the HC, and I guess a decade later, figured…time to move on (unlike Utah’s HC, who has been at Utah since C.U.M left Utah).  And this year, UF played Utah and plays LSU with Kelly.  

The connection with Kelly is Saban, in that, Saban played Kelly in 2012, and Saban would have never been sought after at Bama had it not been for C.U.M at UF winning the title in year two, and beating Bama while wearing the 100 year anniversary 1966 uni’s, with a Tebow jump pass; Tebow, the QB they tried to snag on the recruiting trail but failed to do so under Shula.  

So in essence, and I’ve said this for a while now, UF’s resurgence under Meyer along with the Tebow recruitment, in beating Bama head to head on the field and off, led to Shula’s firing and Saban’s hiring.  As soon as Saban was hired, Bama snagged Julio Jones which was a huge recruit back then.  That’s when the tide turned, no pun intended.  

So in essence, back in the day when The Bear lauded UF stating something like God help us all if UF ever gets it’s act together b/c of the rich HS football in the state, those words, resonated with Meyer went to UF and won the BCS in 2006.  That’s what did it to get Bama to make that coaching hire.  And when you couple that with Meyer leaving UF in disarray, Bama had free reign to win all those titles, b/c UGA was nothing all of these years (until last year) and UT was a shambles, and UF was…well…ya know…   But if Meyer had stayed in the fight and stayed in it versus Saban and Jimbo and LSU, things would have been different.  

UF’s success in 2006 and the power void created by UF’s decline was directly responsible for where we are today.  And Kelly? Kelly figured that ND has no shot, but a team that won it in ‘03, ‘07, ‘19, and played for it in ‘11, would have a good shot (if that was his motivation aside from money and hangovers from Bourbon Street.

There’s more:  When Meyer went to UF, ND had 7 or 8 national titles to it’s name since the AP was created in the 1930’s (one or more of those may be a split title).  Bama had 6 overall and 2 were split titles.  So, just before the SECCG in 2009, UF had 3 consensus titles to Bama’s 4 consensus titles.  UF could have evened it, but Meyer flaked and threw the game and quit.  Then Bama went on to beat Texas and win it’s 5th consensus, 7th overall.  In 2010, Auburn won it.  In 2011, Bama beat LSU and earned its 6th consensus, 8th overall title.  They tied ND with that win (overall category).  In 2012, when Bama beat ND for the BCS, Bama surpassed ND with its 7th consensus and 9th overall title.  Kelly was ND’s coach.  He allowed that to happen.  Since that point, Bama won it again in 2015, 2017, and 2020.  Now it’s not even close between Bama and ND.

But, Bama’s days may be numbered.  A crappy UF team took them to task in 2021, almost beat them in the SECCG in 2020, and UGA schooled them in 2021 Playoff.  UGA is good now but UF is turning the corner with Napier.  UT looks to have turned the corner with Jabba.  Bama played UT every year.  Now, the SECE looks to have evened the playing field with the SECW.  Except, the restructuring that will be done when UTexas and OU join will throw everything into disarray again.  Bama will remain king for quite some time.

The new sub-plot will now be LSU vs Bayou Billy depending on how successful he is at UF…. Too bad about Mullen.  He came close twice against Saban but flaked out and UF had to go back to the drawing board by cleaning house.

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1