Go Gators!

dcluley98

So.

The Gayterz got their butts handed to them from Kentucky.  Thank God I was up north and missed the fiasco.  The resounding issue is whether HC will hire an OC so that he can focus on team management.  So far, he hasn't indicated that he will hire someone, but the month is very young.  3-2, 1 good win and 2 bad losses, and 2 wins against lower division opponents.  I'm beginning to wonder if Napier's strategy for team building is a sound one...  It's almost as if the staff can't motivate the players the way they need to be playing week in and week out.

• 2 weeks later...

so the Gators are 5-2 with a week off before UGA.  So they'll probably lose to UGA and go 5-3.  Now here's a problem:  @FSU, @LSU, @MIZZOU, and Arkansas at home.

they should beat Arkansas at home.  6th win.

but LSU and FSU's qb's are having Heisman contention years.  And, Mizzou is now 6-1 and UF historically plays poorly against them.

So, unless I see some grandiose changes, like fast starts and no lull within the game, I think UF is going to finish 6-6- highest probability.

But, if they get lucky and play well against Mizzou, they can go 7-5.  They always play LSU tough. Them and FSU last year were shootouts.  I don't know if I see a path to victory other than being in a shootout with them like we were against SoCar.  I don't see UF beating UGA.  UK hammered UF and UGA hammered UK.  

Our QB Mertz is consistent.  The O-Line is not.  Etienne is a great RB.  Webb as 3rd string is really good.  Montrel is good but not great this year.  Pearsal is a great WR.  But we have a couple more that are really good as well.  Again, the O-line issues...

Trey Smack may become a Lou Groza finalist this year for FG and K.

Defense is...touch and go.

Play-calling is...dunno.

• 4 weeks later...

Gayterz lost to Arkansas.  I knew it would happen as it was happening.  The missed extra point...scoring within a minute in the 4th Q; nonexistent defense not accounting for a running QB...so many fails...  And UF's play calling for the most part stunk.  

Napier got out-coached yet again.  I just don't get why the AD refuses to find an experienced HC and hire them?  They ran Mullen out of town because of comments indirectly about covid , and then it went downhill from there.  If he sucked so bad, then how did his first three seasons feature three NY6 teams, an SEC East winner, and a Heisman candidate.  He was the QB Whisperer.  

What the f* is Napier a whisperer of?  Talking at a very low pitch and volume so you can't hear what he is saying?

4 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Gayterz lost to Arkansas.  I knew it would happen as it was happening.  The missed extra point...scoring within a minute in the 4th Q; nonexistent defense not accounting for a running QB...so many fails...  And UF's play calling for the most part stunk.  

Napier got out-coached yet again.  I just don't get why the AD refuses to find an experienced HC and hire them?  They ran Mullen out of town because of comments indirectly about covid , and then it went downhill from there.  If he sucked so bad, then how did his first three seasons feature three NY6 teams, an SEC East winner, and a Heisman candidate.  He was the QB Whisperer.  

What the f* is Napier a whisperer of?  Talking at a very low pitch and volume so you can't hear what he is saying?

It was not because of covid. Every season, they got worse. Look at his record. 

20 hours ago, jack said:

It was not because of covid. Every season, they got worse. Look at his record. 

Yes, he lost a 2019 QB recruit (Jalen Jones) and didn't replace him and that killed our depth at QB for 2021 and later (it reared its ugly head in 2021 when Emory Jones was the "only" option).  But after the 2020 A&M game, he mouthed off and immediately UF was like "22 players have covid...and now...so do you...and...since you don't like it...we're also suspending football operations for at least two weeks.  Shut up, or we'll suspend it for longer."  That's when he lost it and lost control of the team.  He came back after the MO game dressed as Darth Vader; Dude threw a shoe in the LSU game, and the rest is history, including not showing up for the OU bowl game and making excuses about it.

If they all really had covid, then why didn't the A&M players?   Exactly.

That was the smoke.  Later, DeSantis replaced UF's Board of Governors in 2022 with some conservative ones and the Teachers Union cried fowl about it.  That was evidence of the fire that caused that smoke in 2020.  

Mullen was a hot head and that is antagonistic to being PC (He almost got into a fight with the Vandy coach).

2021 went south with Emory at the helm; had he had Jalen Jones as a viable option, it would have gone differently.  That was Mullen's fault.  BTW, Jalen Jones is the starter of Charlotte in 2023 so his loss was very impactful. 

But UF ran him out of town.  To your point, he actually made UF better, coming off of a 4-7 season in 2017.  It just ended badly...  But in that 2020 season, UF got the shaft with scheduling; they had to play A&M and Ole Miss on the road and FSU pu55ied out of playing us yet still scheduled an out of conference scrub team.   UF would have hung 50 on them that year.  

Anyway...

20 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Yes, he lost a 2019 QB recruit (Jalen Jones) and didn't replace him and that killed our depth at QB for 2021 and later (it reared its ugly head in 2021 when Emory Jones was the "only" option).  But after the 2020 A&M game, he mouthed off and immediately UF was like "22 players have covid...and now...so do you...and...since you don't like it...we're also suspending football operations for at least two weeks.  Shut up, or we'll suspend it for longer."  That's when he lost it and lost control of the team.  He came back after the MO game dressed as Darth Vader; Dude threw a shoe in the LSU game, and the rest is history, including not showing up for the OU bowl game and making excuses about it.

If they all really had covid, then why didn't the A&M players?   Exactly.

That was the smoke.  Later, DeSantis replaced UF's Board of Governors in 2022 with some conservative ones and the Teachers Union cried fowl about it.  That was evidence of the fire that caused that smoke in 2020.  

Mullen was a hot head and that is antagonistic to being PC (He almost got into a fight with the Vandy coach).

2021 went south with Emory at the helm; had he had Jalen Jones as a viable option, it would have gone differently.  That was Mullen's fault.  BTW, Jalen Jones is the starter of Charlotte in 2023 so his loss was very impactful. 

But UF ran him out of town.  To your point, he actually made UF better, coming off of a 4-7 season in 2017.  It just ended badly...  But in that 2020 season, UF got the shaft with scheduling; they had to play A&M and Ole Miss on the road and FSU pu55ied out of playing us yet still scheduled an out of conference scrub team.   UF would have hung 50 on them that year.  

Anyway...

He went 10-3, 11-4, 8-5 and finally 5-6. Wrong direction for a UF team. When you win, no one cares about any of that stuff. 

2 hours ago, jack said:

He went 10-3, 11-4, 8-5 and finally 5-6. Wrong direction for a UF team. When you win, no one cares about any of that stuff. 

well, he actually went 10-3, 11-2, 8-4, and 5-6 (before being fired).  They do care about that stuff.  Why do you think Bobby Knight and Air Raid got bad press and the doors closed at their respective schools because of it...  Are you kidding?  How many people were censored because of questioning the need to wear masks or do the social distancing?  UF does care about it's ESG score.  C'mon, Jack, are you gonna act like none of that stuff happened?  Johnson even line itemed to Congress communications between the WH and the media about censorship.  UF is no saint.  The Teacher's Union threatened to sue or sued The State b/c of their "First Amendment" rights they felt violated because of that other situation.  So it that's going on from The Left, then the Admin is just totally ok with Mullen blabbing about "Packing the Swamp"?  Back when they were really good?  I'm talking about October 2020, not November 2021... 

18 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

well, he actually went 10-3, 11-2, 8-4, and 5-6 (before being fired).  They do care about that stuff.  Why do you think Bobby Knight and Air Raid got bad press and the doors closed at their respective schools because of it...  Are you kidding?  How many people were censored because of questioning the need to wear masks or do the social distancing?  UF does care about it's ESG score.  C'mon, Jack, are you gonna act like none of that stuff happened?  Johnson even line itemed to Congress communications between the WH and the media about censorship.  UF is no saint.  The Teacher's Union threatened to sue or sued The State b/c of their "First Amendment" rights they felt violated because of that other situation.  So it that's going on from The Left, then the Admin is just totally ok with Mullen blabbing about "Packing the Swamp"?  Back when they were really good?  I'm talking about October 2020, not November 2021... 

5-6 in his fourth year. The Bull Gators will not put up with that. I come from a gator household. They were ready to send him off before the 4th year ended. 

3 hours ago, jack said:

5-6 in his fourth year. The Bull Gators will not put up with that. I come from a gator household. They were ready to send him off before the 4th year ended. 

I agree and I remember.  it's the 3rd year I'm talking about right after the A&M game and from that point forward when the wheels started coming off...

• 2 weeks later...

Um...the Gators put up somewhat of a fight against Mizzou.  I think UF is good in flashes...meaning they have a "keep it together for 4 quarters" problem.  Maybe b/c of the youth of the players (and coaches).  FSU on Saturday.  Someone told me Travis is out.  But I think Mertz is also...

On 11/22/2023 at 6:00 PM, jrs2 said:

Um...the Gators put up somewhat of a fight against Mizzou.  I think UF is good in flashes...meaning they have a "keep it together for 4 quarters" problem.  Maybe b/c of the youth of the players (and coaches).  FSU on Saturday.  Someone told me Travis is out.  But I think Mertz is also...

Yes, Travis and Mertz are out. Will be an interesting duel of second string QB's tonight.

Gotta love the CFP.

FSU is out.  FSU has been relegated to the likes of UCF.  What is funny about it, is, that the CFP Selection Committee has members from the ACC, and the Chair is an NC State guy.  Word is, that because of all the jawing FSU was doing this year about how they are better than the ACC and deserve a "better" conference, that maybe their own conference reps punished them by dropping them out of the field of four teams.  Besides this, The SEC tried to get the expanded Playoff format to begin this year, in 2023, and FSU and/or the ACC was against it.  Ain't that something...

I originally thought that the Michigan guy wanted to drop UGA out of the CFP because he wanted to insure that Michigan didn't have to beat Kirby Smart to win the championship.  UGA got slighted in a big way.

But from what I learned, the Top 3 have to be unanimous (Michigan, Washington, Texas).  The 4th slot (UGA, FSU, Bama) wasn't.  Texas beat Bama in Week 1 so they couldn't drop them below Bama.  Bama beat UGA.  And FSU had the 55th toughest schedule to Bama's 5th toughest (55th isn't even close).  And, FSU was without their starting QB and maybe QB2.  The standard includes the element of "best teams" at that time.  

Now, FSU gets to play a pissed off UGA team that got slighted.  They lost to Bama by only 3 pts.  I think they dropped them below Texas b/c Texas actually beat Bama while UGA lost to them.  

What does this mean for UF?  Nothing, but, had UF beaten Utah and Arkansas and LSU (teams UGA did not play), FSU's SOS would have been better...

• 1 month later...

so, here's an interesting thing...

FSU wants to get out of their Grant of Rights to the ACC that goes thru 2036.  It will cost like half a $Billion to do so.

Miami joined a new Big East in 1991 when they were Independent, which caused FSU to follow suit, in saying no to an SEC offer, and opting for the easier ACC instead (see Bowden interview on SI from back then).

What's brilliant about this is a few things. 

1)  FSU followed what Miami did in conferencing-up, but opted to go to a different conference (because they couldn't beat Miami).  So, the Big East was out.  But, then the SEC was out because they were too tough.  FSU got a lot of criticism in the '90's for that, so part of that Bowden mystique and stellar record was the result of a weak ACC where Clemson as we know them for the most part didn't exist (starting in 1992).  Prior to 1991, FSU was just fine being an Independent- until they saw the profit sharing conference teams got from members going to the high paying bowls.  Up until then, an Independent school didn't share $$$ with anyone.  So FSU chased Miami's example and avoided the SEC.

2)  The ACC was fine for FSU when they pussied-out in 1992 and joined them over the SEC, but now FSU has delusions of grandeur, and the ACC isn't good enough anymore.  And FSU did out, because UF beat them in '91, Bama won the title in '92, the UF games in '93 and '94 and '95 and '96 and '97 and '98 and '99 and '00 and '01 (under Spurrier) either yielded a title game berth for the winner or cost the loser same.  And on the SEC note, Tennessee beat FSU for the title in '98 and UF beat FSU for the title in '96.  

3) Miami brought a pro-style offense to the NCAA which gave them an edge against wishbone and multiple offensive teams (in the '80's).  FSU had a similar type of offense, and their strategy was to blow through a cush regular season schedule and then pair up with a Oklahoma or Nebraska or similar and beat them by three scores in the bowl game.  UF, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, and Bama had solid teams in the '80's off and on.  FSU did not anticipate UF becoming the juggernaut that it became in the '90's.

4)  FSU are cry babies.  They have been downgraded to the like of UCF with this latest jilting from the CFP.  The first jilting was probation and vacating wins from the NCAA from the early 2000's.  The next jilting was Jimbo leaving in 2018 at the hands of $$$Texas A&M.  The next jilting was this by The CFP.  However, people forget that FSU "avoided" UF in 2020 by ing out and not playing them due to the "covid scheduling excuse."  Yes, FSU still played a scrub non-conference out-of-state opponent that year instead of UF, who had won 2 in a row against them under Mullen.  They pussied out and everybody knows it.  UF even beat them in 2021 with no head coach, and Trask in 2020 would have lit it up against them.  Well, it caught up with them and this is how they are perceived by the NCAA powers that be.

5)  They'd like to join the B1G I'm sure.  Except...FSU is not a member of the AAU; UF has been for like forty years or longer.  Miami and USF are members of the AAU as well.  So why would the B1G ever accept them into their conference?  They would probably end up in the Big12 like UCF....you know, the Big12...minus Texas and OU...and Texas A&M and Mizzou and Colorado and Nebraska.  Deion comes back once more, but the marquis teams from the SWC and Big 8 are not present and won't ever be, so to still use that name is laughable.

6)  UGA was shut out of The CFP and didn't say sh!t.  They were a wire to wire No.1 for two plus years and lost by just 3 points to Bama.  FSU cried wolf by contrast.  The entire media and NCAA really got sick and tired of the 2017 Coley Matrix National Champs in UCF and all the jawing by their obnoxious fanbase and AD.  FSU has risen to those ranks especially as seen in the post-game news conference that Norvel did where he was STILL making excuses about feeling jilted.  Top-down, people.  Players opt out all the time, but when the HC and administration are crying fowl, that spills over to the players.

7)  Pathetic.   UGA was shut out because the powers that be knew Michigan couldn't get past Kirby Smart.  Michigan might have its title vacated if they win because of that cheating scandal; dunno.  The FSU media show was a side show distraction the REAL jilted team, UGA.  Nobody cares about a bunch of cry babies which is why FSU has gotten so much criticism.  And it will continue.  The NIL is the only thing to save them from this disgrace because players commit and decommit based on NIL $$$ regardless of the clout of the school in most cases.

8.  FSU was losing to a surging Duke squad until they put in the call to personal foul the Duke QB which knocked him out of the game.  FSU won. Classic Mickey Andrews move.  The same thing happened to the Miami QB.  Darnell Dockett anyone?  Anyway, The ACC does not like FSU and one of the CFP committee members is the NC State AD, so FSU can forget about these conspiracy theories about Sanky placing a call when their own conference representative gave them the finger.  So does the rest of the NCAA.

Oh, and one more thing about FSU...their strength of schedule was No.55. Bama's was in the Top 5. So, playing a patsy schedule won't cut it (see UCF).  It did cut it in 1992 before the Harris Poll came out and was used in the BCS in 1998.  The whole argument of "we can't control if our opponents have a crappy year" is irrelevant.  Especially here, where FSU chose the ACC in 1992 for just that reason.

Bowden saw the utility of a cush schedule to get to the big payout bowl game back then. But, as the decades passed, the networks gave the biggest contracts to the major conferences, namely, the SEC and the B1G.  So fsu's reasoning back in 1991, which might have made sense then...slowly became irrelevant later.

UCF tried to make the undefeated cush schedule relevant, in 2017, but they failed.  And fsu tried to sneak one in, in 2023, but they got called out. They thought they could hide behind their brand, but, as we all saw, their brand isn't all that relevant.  And now they are just a bunch of cry babies...the fans, the players, the coaches, and their administration.   The only ones that aren't cry babies are The ACC.  It's just incredible.

Edited by jrs2

So that's part of it... heading into the '90's, the national title game gave the largest payout, and fsu wanted that money and/or an EASY road to getting that money.  And then that easy road led thru the ACC when the Independents conferenced-up.  Was FSU ever really that good?  Miami always beat them.  UF choked a few times against them when they could've won those games, but won the others.  In 1990, UF blasted Auburn 48-7, but shortly thereafter, Auburn beat fsu. Tennessee beat them in the '98 BCS title game, and OU beat them in the '00 BCS title game.  The main reason fsu beat UF in '98 was because UF was dumb enough to have it's defensive team captain, Tony George, take the pre-game fight bait from a meaningless fsu freshman, and he got ejected- our team captain...and The Rooster beat us.  That was pathetic by us but a clever ploy by Bobby.  Get their team captain ejected, or, late hit their starting QB (much like the Duke QB in '23), or late hit their starting RB and knock him out of the game (Earnest Graham/ Darnell Dockett in '01).  Zook lost to them in '03 in what was the worst officiated game in NCAA history (ACC officials) which caused Kirk Herbstreit to have to give an apology to UF after the game on behalf of the powers that be because of how heinous it was.  That cost UF the three way tie for SEC East based on rank in the AP and a berth in the SECCG in Atlanta versus LSU (LSU won the BCS that year even though UF dominated Saban & Co. earlier that year).  Well, karma aside, UF won the dedication of Ron Zook Field in Tallahassee the following year.

UF, with a shoddy offense in 1997 beat fsu to knock them out of title contention.  That year, Michigan and Nebraska split the national title.  Funny, because this year, UF choked against fsu and it looks like Michigan will win it this year.  It's not like UF directly knocked fsu out of contention (for a CFP bid), but UF sucking hurt fsu's SOS and fsu finished with an SOS ranked only No.55.  I would say that 15 spots in SOS strength equated to 1 loss.  If fsu's SOS was No.40, they would have been 12-1 instead of 13-0.  And it follows that if their SOS was No. 25, fsu would be 11-2.  And if fsu's SOS was No.10, they would be 10-3.  If its SOS was at all respectable, they would have lost at least 3 games in 2023 and maybe been ranked in the Top 15, likely barely in the Top 20.  The Colley Matrix florida state seminoles...a high rank based on a cush schedule that nobody respects- nobody in the media, nobody ala peers, nobody ala rival fanbases...nobody, except boosters.

What does it say for the fsu brand when their own conference, the ACC, doesn't even support their claim at a bid for the CFP? I love it.  They diss their conference all year.  Well, that's what you get.  Thank you NC State AD. 

And getting good players thru the Portal or even recruits means NOTHING about the brand in the age of the NIL.  (see Jackson State snatching that No.1 QB commit two years ago).   Also, see Jimbo taking a dump on fsu as he left for greener pastures to a school which is actually in the black.  A&M could buy fsu ten times over if they wanted.  And Jimbo pretty much spelled it out what a financial cluster-f fsu was in 2017.

Oh, yes.  Its called karma.  And now, all of those program decisions from yesteryear...all of those coaching decisions from yesteryear...all of those bad moves are coming back home to roost.  Fsu has no "real" medical school, which disqualifies them from being an AAU member (among other things), and that is so damning that the B1G won't consider them if they apply for entrance.  They aren't going to the SEC.  The ACC isn't happy with them.  "Us against the world," right?  Well, when the "us" are a bunch of self righteous a55holes, top down, it's nothing to be proud of. 

It's almost like Bobby Bowden elevated that brand to a certain level where so long as he was still around, it would remain, but once he left, it would spiral downward, which is what its done.  The 2023 post season cying was merely death throws of a self-righteous program that still has delusions of grandeur.  There's no Saint Bobby anymore; no Big League Chew Mickey Andrews; no Burt Reynolds...not even Bobby's heir apparent CIW Jimbo Fisher.  There is nothing, except a deal with The Tribe so they could still keep their logo and mascot.

There's more to come...

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/39242303/florida-ag-requests-documents-acc-related-fsu-lawsuit

This is great.  No matter how diplomatic the commentators at ESPN are, Kirby Smart is, or any other YouTube commentators/ podcast content creators are, they all think FSU are a bunch of chuckleheads.  Why do I say this?  Is it because I'm a Gator?  Partly.  But the truth of the matter is all of the above from my prior posts on the subject.  FSU is a pretty much bankrupt university (or at least its athletic department).  They are not a "big-time" top tier athletic program when it comes to money.

And what's great about their lawsuit against the ACC, is that they actually recently renewed it.  Yeah.  Does FSU not have a law school or lawyers reading conference-related agreements before having the school sign off on them?  The ACC has good lawyers; fsu doesn't.  

The slander that The ACC has endured at the hands of fsu is unparalleled in the NCAA.   

The country is witnessing the death throws of a school that 1) has a circus, 2) needed Big Brother UF to "partner" or "co-sponsor" a makeshift incomplete medical school (and couldn't even do it on its own (like, say, UCF did in Lake Nona)), 3) paid off The Seminole Tribe with money it doesn't have, 4) has to "partner" with the City of Tallahassee because it has no money, 5) is not a member of the AAU, 6) probably paid off that one publication to list them in the Top 25 of public universities, and 7) artificially created importance when the State "forced" UF to have to play them every year (something UCF doesn't even get (except with a 2 for 1 scheduling)).

16 hours ago, jrs2 said:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/39242303/florida-ag-requests-documents-acc-related-fsu-lawsuit

This is great.  No matter how diplomatic the commentators at ESPN are, Kirby Smart is, or any other YouTube commentators/ podcast content creators are, they all think FSU are a bunch of chuckleheads.  Why do I say this?  Is it because I'm a Gator?  Partly.  But the truth of the matter is all of the above from my prior posts on the subject.  FSU is a pretty much bankrupt university (or at least its athletic department).  They are not a "big-time" top tier athletic program when it comes to money.

And what's great about their lawsuit against the ACC, is that they actually recently renewed it.  Yeah.  Does FSU not have a law school or lawyers reading conference-related agreements before having the school sign off on them?  The ACC has good lawyers; fsu doesn't.  

The slander that The ACC has endured at the hands of fsu is unparalleled in the NCAA.   

The country is witnessing the death throws of a school that 1) has a circus, 2) needed Big Brother UF to "partner" or "co-sponsor" a makeshift incomplete medical school (and couldn't even do it on its own (like, say, UCF did in Lake Nona)), 3) paid off The Seminole Tribe with money it doesn't have, 4) has to "partner" with the City of Tallahassee because it has no money, 5) is not a member of the AAU, 6) probably paid off that one publication to list them in the Top 25 of public universities, and 7) artificially created importance when the State "forced" UF to have to play them every year (something UCF doesn't even get (except with a 2 for 1 scheduling)).

FSU may not have a top tier athletic department when it comes to money, but they have fielded some of the best teams in college sports history. The 93' 99' and 2014 teams were the poster child for excellence on the field. Free shoes and all. 

The ACC is the nineties were weak but teams like Georgia Tech took football a lot more serious than they do now. 

16 hours ago, jrs2 said:

FSU is like Miami. Somehow, they have fielded some outstanding teams despite not having the ability to raise gobs of cash through boosters. 

2 hours ago, jack said:

FSU may not have a top tier athletic department when it comes to money, but they have fielded some of the best teams in college sports history. The 93' 99' and 2014 teams were the poster child for excellence on the field. Free shoes and all. 

The ACC is the nineties were weak but teams like Georgia Tech took football a lot more serious than they do now. 

FSU is like Miami. Somehow, they have fielded some outstanding teams despite not having the ability to raise gobs of cash through boosters. 

well, fielding good teams (good rosters) is all well and good...and is besides the point...and fsu had to vacate wins in the 2000's for NCAA violations from earlier seasons.  A lot of teams got dinged for that over the decades...as we know...  fsu had the Fab Four in 1989, but, in his first year as HC, Spurrier's "Fab Four" had more yardage and production that fsu's '89 contingent without the accompanying hype. Charlie Ward was a great QB, and Chris Weinke benefited from playing baseball and then coming back to college as a near-thirty-year-old, which almost never happens- but it did here.

But the fsu example is and always has been the ucf story all over again- but before ucf was doing the ucf thing, fsu was doing it.

When fsu was an Independent, their BB team was part of the Metro Conference.  ???  If it wasn't for Saint Bobby, fsu would be nothing.  It was only because of Him that fsu was able to garner respect so that an ACC would accept them into that conference.  Everybody knew in 1992 that they were outclassed by the academics of the ACC, and that they would steamroll them on the field.  But they preferred that over the grind of the SEC.

And on the "good teams" point, everybody knows that Mickey Andrews and Bowden's rule was keep going after the QB until you can longer hear the "echo of the whistle" in the stadium.  How many QB's were knocked out of games because they looked for any angle to win games.  Was that respected in the NCAA?  No.  That was fsu's defensive policy- not some rogue personal foul committing by certain players.  That was their policy.  And they resorted back to that in 2023 against Duke.  I watched that game.  Duke was already ahead and driving inside the twenty, and they personal fouled the Duke QB and knocked him out of the game (this was still with Travis, BTW).  The fsu defense was on its heels.  But then Duke had no depth and threw in their backup who did nothing, and fsu steadily took over the rest of the game.  Duke was going to win that game.    And, for the National Title Game, UF had to change its offense to keep Wadsworth and Co. from late hitting Weurffel, so they ran a quick dump off shotgun formation to the tune of 52 pts.

So the UGA game was karma for that Duke game and others from the past.  

Like I stated before, fsu pussied out in 1992 by joining the ACC over the SEC, and they even pussied out in 2020 by avoiding a "LOST 3" against UF and Trask by not scheduling their non-conference in state opponent in UF-while still scheduling an out of state scrub opponent.  Pathetic.  At least when UF dropped Miami in 1987 from their schedule, they had a good reason:  Sports Illustrated is great, you know, because they write articles that last forever.  In 1982, SI did an expose on the UF-Miami game (which UF won), where they stated the series was in jeopardy of not being renewed for financial reasons (5 year contracts).  It was not a money maker for UF.  But, UF did renew it one last time in 1982 and it ended in 1987.  UF beat Miami twice, BTW, during that span.  And in 1988, the SEC added a conference game to everyone's schedule.  And then the  SEC added yet another conference game in 1992 plus the SECCG.  

Travis wouldn't have made it through an SEC grind.  And those antics of the 1990's on defense by Mickey Andrews and Saint Bobby have not been forgotten by the college football world.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39266972/fbi-notified-threats-cfp-members-fsu-exclusion

So...here is the latest gem emanating from Tallahassee... death threats to the CFP Chair and profanity laden emails to committee members.

I love it.  They talk about fsu being the first P5 undefeated team having been excluded.  But how many of the other undefeated P5 teams that were not excluded had an SOS of only No.55?  I don't think any...because it is laughable how a team can even be considered a P5 team when it plays a schedule that is only No.55 in strength.  fsu is not a P5 school...not with that weak of a schedule.  I am sure Dabo's Clemson teams never had an SOS that weak all those times Clemson got a berth.

fsu thought they should be afforded the same respect as Clemson.  However, Clemson is more than just Clemson... it is also Dabo Sweeney and staff.  fsu does not have that level of respect.  It just doesn't.  College Football is all about the Polls; it always has been.  A raw records isn't enough and has never been enough.  Everybody knows that.  Yet fsu seems to think this standard doesn't apply to them just because of their flash in the pan good season they had this year.  But was it really even that good?  Well, they won all of the games on their regular season schedule and beat Louisville in the ACCCG.  Okay.  But their SOS was No.55.  It was like back in 1980 when four teams were vying for that No.1 spot, upstart fsu being one of them.  Why didn't the 1994 Nittany Lions get the No.1 vote when they were undefeated?  Why didn't the 1988 Syracuse team get into the national title game at 11-0-1?  Why was undefeated UCF only able to get to a No.6 ranking?  There was also a WVU team that was excluded as well during this span.  Oh, yeah, almost forgot about 2004 Auburn which was undefeated yet shut out of the BCS because they weren't even ranked in the preseason.

Strength of Schedule, baby.

You don't get respect for a weak SOS no matter how good the record.  That's the purpose of the Harris Poll.  Southern Cal cried foul in 2002 and gave the AP and Coaches Polls the ability to split their votes, which resulted in 2003 LSU, the BCS Game winner, to watch USC get the No.1 vote in the AP.  That was BS.  That affected Auburn in 2004.  

But, the CFP is the evolution of the Harris Poll in that despite national ranking, like the Colley Matrix, which cares only about record, they choose the four BEST teams.  I don't even think fsu was ranked as high as Michigan and Washington in the Colley Matrix.

WAIT A MINUTE:

In Week 14, when Bama beat UGA, the Colley Matrix only had fsu ranked No.5 behind both 1-loss Bama and Texas.  And it's SOS was No.69.  Wow.  If the Colley Matrix doesn't even have you ranked any higher, then you have absolutely nothing to hang your hat on with regards to ranking, selection, etc.  This is the same poll that "awarded" UCF the 2017 No.1.

I am going to keep republishing this fact every day for all to see.  There was absolutely nothing the CFP did to exclude fsu that was contradicting even to this poll that is geared to favor undefeated teams.  For example, during this week, the Colley Matrix had Washington ranked No.1 and Michigan ranked No.2, primarily because Washington's SOS was No.11 and Michigan's was No.32,  Texas' SOS was No.6 and Bama's was No.7.

There you go.  Why isn't the media focusing on this?  Why doesn't fsu acknowledge this?  Perpetual victims?