Go Gators!

dcluley98

On 3/18/2022 at 6:32 PM, spenser1058 said:

Gators hire USF* coach Todd Golden as the new head coach of MBB in Hogtown:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-gators/os-sp-gators-basketball-todd-golden-0319-20220318-yn2q7igfybg7zoxeewn7kvbtz4-story.html

From The Sentinel 

* Oh, that’s the University of San Francisco, not the Dang Cows…

saw that. I guess the logic here is that they saw the ceiling they had with My Quite and decided that this guy may have "the sky's the limit" in terms of ceiling...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Maybe Nancy will come from SFO to visit the new Head Gator - wouldn’t you love that? <runs>

unlike many of those that (I guess I vote like)...I admire Nancy for other reasons I shalnt go into here...so no need to run... let's just say that when Trump was giving  one of his State of the Unions, and Nancy was standing up behind him and clapping at him while glaring at him like there were daggers shooting out of her eyeballs, well, that clip made her look so ...hot...IMO.  She gives Diana from "V" a run for her money...

• Like 1

I can't believe I name dropped Diana from "V."

Anyway, I saw the presser with Todd Golden, new Men's BB coach.  He seems with it.  It's funny b/c Napier looks like a seasoned veteran compared to him...

You know Stricklin already had him ready to come here when UGA offered My Quite the job...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

any news from the O&B?  Apparently AR is the starter and Del Rio is transferring probably b/c he's way down the depth chart.

The knock on AR is that he needs to stop doing back flips and speeding.  I am worried about his ability to keep his nose clean for an entire season.

On 4/22/2022 at 5:41 PM, jrs2 said:

any news from the O&B?  Apparently AR is the starter and Del Rio is transferring probably b/c he's way down the depth chart.

The knock on AR is that he needs to stop doing back flips and speeding.  I am worried about his ability to keep his nose clean for an entire season.

Keep him away from the crab legs at Publix! Fortunately, our two top QBs seem to be from the Richie Cunningham School of Comportment.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

On 4/23/2022 at 4:22 PM, spenser1058 said:

Keep him away from the crab legs at Publix! Fortunately, our two top QBs seem to be from the Richie Cunningham School of Comportment.

I'll be honest with ya.  I am starting to get sick and tired of UF hiring newbies all of the time.  It is starting to wear on me and make me a little apathetic.  The BB coach for one, after Billy Ball recommended a guy that never even made it to the NCAA Tourney, Golden made it there once in his young career...this past season.  Sure, White kind of plateaued...but all the years he established himself at HC, now, we start all over again with a newbie.  Same with Zook and Muschamp.  At least Mullen was a 9-year vet going into it, but sprite, Mac, and Napes each were like two-year people going into it.  sprite got his man and was stellar but for chasing away an even better backup in Cam.  Mac had bad luck with the loss of Grier and lack of depth at QB.  Napes has his Grier or Tebow, if you will, in AR, with no real depth behind him.

Apparently Jack Miller suffers from Emory Jones syndrome, in that he is very pensive with his decision making and throws.  He's the No2 guy...

Reading The Bullspen, Da Cows’ fan discussion board and going through their litany of hapless head coaches, has made me appreciate how UCF has mostly had the coaches they needed to move the program to the next level.

Coach Mac, Coach O’L, Coach Frosty and now Coach Gus have all given us the right thing at the right time. We tripped with Coach K and Coach Heup (he may do fine at UT but I got the impression he had no real desire ever to be at UCF - it probably didn’t help that DW forced Coach Shannon on him).

The lesson USF seems finally to be learning is that a flashy coach won’t do much good in the long run if he can’t build the program. The Gators seemed to go astray beginning with Urban in that regard - he destroyed everything Spurrier built for short-term gain - but finally seem to have a HC that’s more like Coach Spurrier with a longer-term focus. We’ll soon find out.

Edited by spenser1058

19 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Reading The Bullspen, Da Cows’ fan discussion board and going through their litany of hapless head coaches, has made me appreciate how UCF has mostly had the coaches they needed to move the program to the next level.

Coach Mac, Coach O’L, Coach Frosty and now Coach Gus have all given us the right thing at the right time. We tripped with Coach K and Coach Heup (he may do fine at UT but I got the impression he had no real desire ever to be at UCF - it probably didn’t help that DW forced Coach Shannon on him).

The lesson USF seems finally to be learning is that a flashy coach won’t do much good in the long run if he can’t build the program. The Gators seemed to go astray beginning with Urban in that regard - he destroyed everything Spurrier built for short-term gain - but finally seem to have a HC that’s more like Coach Spurrier with a longer-term focus. We’ll soon find out.

what's your tan LSU hiring Kelly from ND?

Another one bites the dust - this time, the women’s soccer coach after one season.

Before you know it, Florida Poly’s gonna have a more senior coaching staff than the Gators…

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-gators/os-sp-gators-soccer-tony-amato-fired-0428-20220427-6uj43g6675avlorrcvek2wxmme-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

On 4/30/2022 at 9:12 PM, spenser1058 said:

Apparently I got it wrong saying Coach Billy might be the new Spurrier - Bianchi says he’s the next Charley Pell!

He says it’s a good thing, though, noting Charley’s prowess in building the Gator Boosters, not his propensity to cheat.

yeah, I can see that with Scared Money running the show...it is like Pell... (in that way...not the other way- but I will say I read an article on that era and UF got hosed based on their representation  at the time b/c they had a choice and were told to choose probation to get it over with- another story for another day).

But, Napes seems to have his plan.  The roster seems like we can win a few games in '22.  And there are a few holdovers from Mullen era that have bought in, like Lingard, that  have a very positive take on the plan moving forward next season.  So, we'll see how it goes...

I'm not sure about this NIL stuff, though...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my! Mick Hubert is retiring after 33 years as The Voice of the Florida Gators:

https://www.si.com/college/florida/football/florida-gators-mick-hubert-retiring

From Sports Illustrated 

It’s hard to even imagine being at The Swamp and not hearing his voice. Best wishes for a great retirement!

Meanwhile, I don’t even wanna think about being at the Bounce House or A+ Arena without Marc Daniels.