Go Gators!

dcluley98

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

@jrs2: Since you mentioned Tebow earlier on the other thread, I’ll mention a puzzle that has had me perplexed for years. It was brought back to mind reading a recent N-J article about a golf benefit for Danny Wuerffel’s Desire Street program on Georgia’s Golden Isles just before the WLOCP in Jax this year.

We know how the media has endlessly spread the trope of Tebow as this quintessential Christian boy (we should note they said the same thing about good Catholic boy Urban Liar…)

However, if you look back at Danny or St. Bobby and even to some extent (preacher’s kid) SOS in their college days, THEY acted like good Christian boys, complete with the college sweetheart. Tebow never did that, he always was about the glitz and glamour gals and he was well past 30 before he got married. Having been raised in an evangelical church, I know how that’s supposed to go and my grandparents wondered why I never followed the template  (of course, we know why, I was gay - many of my fellow travelers wondered about that with Timmy but that never seemed right to me, either).

The thing is, even while supposedly he has gotten married and has the house with the South African model as the wife, we rarely see her. 

Normally, Tebow could do whatever he wants and it’s his life but, supposedly, folks like Bianchi keep pushing him toward politics. We know that Timmy’s very carefully followed the Barney Frank rule (the msm won’t bother you about being gay or any other activities that might cause a budding politico problems as long as you’re not hypocritical about it), but something just doesn’t quite jive. If he’s going to be our conservative Republican governor one day, it sure would be nice to know what’s up. 

As our Gator who knows stuff, any thoughts?

oh, you mean whether Timmy is gay?  Well, he's pretty...and he's built...usually when those two factors are present, you're mostly there it seems.  I dunno; never thought about that. 

I will say that I do believe that the MSM, NFL, the Elways of the world made sure he never got too much traction in the NFL because it is not PC for a good looking, tough as nails, whitey Christian to be popular in the US.  The Mormon Elways made sure to nix him at Denver b/c they couldn't have an actual Christian being more popular than Mormons.  Then, I believe the NFL as a whole felt the same way except sub out Mormon for Black.  If you're Black and you climb the goalposts and do a prayer stance, it is perfectly fine, but not if you're a good looking tough popular white guy..   Remember when The Tragic had a shot at Rodman and they passed  him up b/c his "image" didn't comport to the "family" values or whatever of the organization.  Well, whether Timmy was as good as a pocket passer is irrelevant when the name of the game is $$$ and butts in seats.  The Tragic missed out of Rodman and plenty of NFL teams missed out on similar with TT- but I think by design.

His jersey was the highest selling jersey in the NFL when he was with NE, Jets, and perhaps NE.  If they had TikTok in 2010, 2011, 2012, Timmy would have been the largest Influencer around.  

So this goes back to what I was trying to say in another thread about Christianity...JC was about inclusion and The Church has beotchized this message and this has carried over into politics (BTW, a friend of mine who is a liberal Dem works for the Presbyterian Church at Lake Highland and they split from the main one b/c of the issue of whether a gay individual could be a pastor; food for thought...).

• Thanks 1

So, the Gators play Kentucky this weekend.  This is going to be a very tough game.  UK is 4-0.  UK does not like UF.  I was told years ago by a Kentucky fan back in the Spurrier days that Kentucky viewed UF as their number one rival.  I thought it was funny since UF won the contest every year since 1987.  That being said, UK always played UF tough.  And lately, UK was beating UF in 2019 in Lex before Trask came in, and beat UF in 2018 at The Swamp.  UF won it handedly last year, but, 2020 was a weird year and UK is 4-0 in 2021; hopefully 4-1 after Saturday...

that guy on YouTube, Uncle Lou really trash talks.  He's a UGA fan.  fitting.  that's UGA's legacy...brag about 5 star recruits and lose to teams that don't have as many 5 stars and wonder why.  And, almost always choke in the big games.  At the end of the day, what are you left with?  Yep, you got it...trash talking.

23 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

You forgot reminiscing about Saint Herschel Walker after every big game loss. :tw_mrgreen:

I mean, they had a good thing.  They had a run back then.  They like played Pitt in 1976 for the national title, then Notre Dame in 1980, and then Penn State in 1982.  In 1981 it was UGA vs Clemson and Clemson went on to play for and win the national title.  In 1983 Auburn was the big power in the SEC, then UGA then UF.  In 1984, UF walloped UGA.  In 1985, Tennessee was the SEC champ and UF was No. 1 in the SEC.  In 1986, UF beat UGA.  In 1987 and for the next couple years or so, it was about Rodney Hampton and Tim Worley at UGA.  Then they left and Ray Goff entered as HC, and so did SOS at UF, and then UF beat them 7 times in a row; Goff never won a game vs UF as coach.  I think he was their QB in 1976.  After UGA won in 1997, UF won the next 4 under SOS.  Then Zook beat UGA's 12-1 team in 2002, Chris Leak  ran the UF offense in 2003 to a comeback from a 1-3 start to the season with those 3 or 4 straight wins which included the UGA game.  We lost 2004.  Then Meyer beat them in 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010.  The 2007 game was the celebration in the end zone game, and, technically, UGA may have been slighted by the BCS selection committee b/c they favored a 2-loss SEC Champ LSU to play TOSU- maybe, maybe not  Then Muschamp lost 2011, 2012, 2013, but gave UF a parting gift in the form of that 2014 win where UF ran all over them in shocking fashion.  MacElwain won in 2015 and 2016, including the SECE.  UGA went to The Playoff in 2017, beat Mullen in 2018 and 2019.  Trask & Co blasted UGA in 2020.

UGA acts like they're Clemson, in that like they've been to The Playoff every single year it's been played.  They've only been once and that's because they re-matched Auburn in the SECCG after Auburn beat them in the regular season.  If it was Bama, they would have lost.  Instead, the faced Bama in The Playoff and lost to Tua.

They're a decent program.  But they hype them like they are God's gift to college football...probably mainly because of the legacy of Herschel.

Whatever Dooley did to the O&B, Spurrier undid it...Spurrier, Zook, and Meyer, that is (that's only 3 losses from 1990 through 2010).  

The only times UF has lost to them has been when UF didn't have a competent QB, a rebuilding defense, or competent coaching or a combination of all three, AND, when UGA had a starting QB who was just very good.   When UGA beat UF in 2011-13, they had that one QB and we had a combo of Muschamp's coaching with Driskel & Co at QB.  Also, from 2017-19, they had Fromm, and we had a 4-8 squad in 2017 with injured Del Rio with head case Franks at QB.  In 2018, Franks again at QB.  In 2019, we had a fresh Trask getting into the rhythm of the season as a newer starter and it was a very close game. 

Mullen has turned the corner with 5-star-GA, and now, UF has an O-Line that is playing fairly brutal football and our top 3 RB's are playing very well.  EJ is improving week to week, and AR15 will be healthy for that game.  If EJ was not improving, I would say UGA would win this year.  But b/c EJ is improving with every snap, and based on the team's attitude vs Bama and the follow-up game vs UT, I would say UF is doing the right things and on the right path to win that game next month.  I wouldn't call it an upset b/c I don't think UGA is that good; Clemson proved it; so did Vandy.

If UF beats UGA next month, boy the UGA fans will be calling for Kirby's Mart's head.  And I for one would love to see it, especially after all the mumbo jumbo team talk following the Clemson game where they were virtually awarding UGA the national title.  Even if UF loses, UGA is not beating Bama.  They may not even beat Arkansas this Saturday.  And, man, I had high hopes for Auburn this year too.   Ga State...man...

BTW, that whole 8 straight Bama has vs UF...pay it no mind... the only reason UF has lost that game is b/c Bama had better teams in each of those games; it wasn't a psychological thing.  With UGA versus Bama, it is...that's why it's so funny...

Think about it:  In 2009, Meyer had mentally checked out of the SECCG before it even started; Bama was on a mission b/c of the '08 loss.  In 2010, UF in Meyer's last year, the un-quit year, UF was 8-5 and pretty much sucked with a square peg offense.  In 2011, UF was 7-6 with two freshman QB's and Bama beat LSU for the BCS title.  There was another in the Muschamp era (the post 2012 scheduling where the away game was played first and the home game in 2021).  Then the two SECCG's with MacElwain where he would end 2015 and 2016 with 3 straight losses.  To his defense, the Will Grier debacle set UF back at least 3 seasons when he was suspended and left for WVU in 2015 mid season.  In 2016, no Grier nor Treon Harris; only Del Rio, who would get hurt.  Then Mullen's shootout in 2020 with Trask, and then the missed PAT and botched 2pt conversion in 2021 with EJ & Co.  Bama was favored by a ton of points in both matchups but narrowly won both those games.

1 minute ago, jrs2 said:

I mean, they had a good thing.  They had a run back then.  They like played Pitt in 1976 for the national title, then Notre Dame in 1980, and then Penn State in 1982.  In 1981 it was UGA vs Clemson and Clemson went on to play for and win the national title.  In 1983 Auburn was the big power in the SEC, then UGA then UF.  In 1984, UF walloped UGA.  In 1985, Tennessee was the SEC champ and UF was No. 1 in the SEC.  In 1986, UF beat UGA.  In 1987 and for the next couple years or so, it was about Rodney Hampton and Tim Worley at UGA.  Then they left and Ray Goff entered as HC, and so did SOS at UF, and then UF beat them 7 times in a row; Goff never won a game vs UF as coach.  I think he was their QB in 1976.  After UGA won in 1997, UF won the next 4 under SOS.  Then Zook beat UGA's 12-1 team in 2002, Chris Leak  ran the UF offense in 2003 to a comeback from a 1-3 start to the season with those 3 or 4 straight wins which included the UGA game.  We lost 2004.  Then Meyer beat them in 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010.  The 2007 game was the celebration in the end zone game, and, technically, UGA may have been slighted by the BCS selection committee b/c they favored a 2-loss SEC Champ LSU to play TOSU- maybe, maybe not  Then Muschamp lost 2011, 2012, 2013, but gave UF a parting gift in the form of that 2014 win where UF ran all over them in shocking fashion.  MacElwain won in 2015 and 2016, including the SECE.  UGA went to The Playoff in 2017, beat Mullen in 2018 and 2019.  Trask & Co blasted UGA in 2020.

UGA acts like they're Clemson, in that like they've been to The Playoff every single year it's been played.  They've only been once and that's because they re-matched Auburn in the SECCG after Auburn beat them in the regular season.  If it was Bama, they would have lost.  Instead, the faced Bama in The Playoff and lost to Tua.

They're a decent program.  But they hype them like they are God's gift to college football...probably mainly because of the legacy of Herschel.

Whatever Dooley did to the O&B, Spurrier undid it...Spurrier, Zook, and Meyer, that is (that's only 3 losses from 1990 through 2010).  

The only times UF has lost to them has been when UF didn't have a competent QB, a rebuilding defense, or competent coaching or a combination of all three, AND, when UGA had a starting QB who was just very good.   When UGA beat UF in 2011-13, they had that one QB and we had a combo of Muschamp's coaching with Driskel & Co at QB.  Also, from 2017-19, they had Fromm, and we had a 4-8 squad in 2017 with injured Del Rio with head case Franks at QB.  In 2018, Franks again at QB.  In 2019, we had a fresh Trask getting into the rhythm of the season as a newer starter and it was a very close game. 

Mullen has turned the corner with 5-star-GA, and now, UF has an O-Line that is playing fairly brutal football and our top 3 RB's are playing very well.  EJ is improving week to week, and AR15 will be healthy for that game.  If EJ was not improving, I would say UGA would win this year.  But b/c EJ is improving with every snap, and based on the team's attitude vs Bama and the follow-up game vs UT, I would say UF is doing the right things and on the right path to win that game next month.  I wouldn't call it an upset b/c I don't think UGA is that good; Clemson proved it; so did Vandy.

If UF beats UGA next month, boy the UGA fans will be calling for Kirby's Mart's head.  And I for one would love to see it, especially after all the mumbo jumbo team talk following the Clemson game where they were virtually awarding UGA the national title.  Even if UF loses, UGA is not beating Bama.  They may not even beat Arkansas this Saturday.  And, man, I had high hopes for Auburn this year too.   Ga State...man...

BTW, that whole 8 straight Bama has vs UF...pay it no mind... the only reason UF has lost that game is b/c Bama had better teams in each of those games; it wasn't a psychological thing.  With UGA versus Bama, it is...that's why it's so funny...

Think about it:  In 2009, Meyer had mentally checked out of the SECCG before it even started; Bama was on a mission b/c of the '08 loss.  In 2010, UF in Meyer's last year, the un-quit year, UF was 8-5 and pretty much sucked with a square peg offense.  In 2011, UF was 7-6 with two freshman QB's and Bama beat LSU for the BCS title.  There was another in the Muschamp era (the post 2012 scheduling where the away game was played first and the home game in 2021).  Then the two SECCG's with MacElwain where he would end 2015 and 2016 with 3 straight losses.  To his defense, the Will Grier debacle set UF back at least 3 seasons when he was suspended and left for WVU in 2015 mid season.  In 2016, no Grier nor Treon Harris; only Del Rio, who would get hurt.  Then Mullen's shootout in 2020 with Trask, and then the missed PAT and botched 2pt conversion in 2021 with EJ & Co.  Bama was favored by a ton of points in both matchups but narrowly won both those games.

But what REALLY matters is Herschel running to be the MAGA senator from Georgia, even if he is from Texas!

On 9/29/2021 at 12:09 PM, spenser1058 said:

But what REALLY matters is Herschel running to be the MAGA senator from Georgia, even if he is from Texas!

Herschel can't win b/c he has to win Fulton and Fulton went blue in 2020...or did it really?... (inquiring minds want to know).

On that note, if Dominion really is a "thing," then getting elected for any office with either party entails somebody ponying up a lot of cash to "win" any seat at any level.  They did it with ballot stuffing in the old days; now it is more streamlined.  Which goes back to a prior statement I made where I stated that elections are rigged and the winners preordained.

As for UGA today, still overrated and I wouldn't be surprised if Arkansas beats them on Saturday.

47 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Herschel can't win b/c he has to win Fulton and Fulton went blue in 2020...or did it really?... (inquiring minds want to know).

On that note, if Dominion really is a "thing," then getting elected for any office with either party entails somebody ponying up a lot of cash to "win" any seat at any level.  They did it with ballot stuffing in the old days; now it is more streamlined.  Which goes back to a prior statement I made where I stated that elections are rigged and the winners preordained.

As for UGA today, still overrated and I wouldn't be surprised if Arkansas beats them on Saturday.

Atlanta & South Fulton is deepest blue and heading into Buckhead traditional country club Republican (what’s left of it). As you pass the Perimeter it moves toward skeery wingnut wackadoodle GOP. Fortunately, that’s not where the bulk of the county’s population is. 

Other outlying counties like Gwinnett and even Cobb (who first foisted Newtie Gingrich upon an unsuspecting nation) are thankfully bluer and bluer. Keep in mind Georgia has teeny counties (FL and GA are roughly the same size in land area but Georgia has 159 where we have 67).

Edited by spenser1058

UF lost to Kentucky.  Pathetic.  Mullen failed the team.  There were 8 or so false starts.  EJ made some bad reads.  AR15 couldn't run to save his life.  UK had a good defense, I know that.  UF's defense tightened up but it's offense struggled badly.  It was painful to watch.  the ineptitude at QB to make the proper reads.  We need to poach UCF's QB recruits and just run that offense.  We need Trask-like recruits and just do Air Raid plays.

looking back, the Franks experiment almost cost UF the Kentucky game in 2019.  The Trask experiment salvigated that game.  UF scored over 30 pts in almost every game last year with that offense.  Mullen may want to win games with a running QB. He may be stubborn like Spurrier was in, say, 1997, when he refused to keep running Fred Taylor in the LSU game and we lost as a result.    I think the problem was that the OL was geared to run a running attack and then Trask ran a passing attack in most of 2019 and 2020.  The running attack worked even against Alabama, but Stoops figured out a couple of things, but EJ is not that quick of a QB.  And I don't think AR15 is fully recovered either; he went down (OMG, I might have offended Tim with that comment...better continue with the sentence) several times without a fight when he ran with the ball.

so, unless EJ starts playing better and throwing downfield, UF's season is officially over.  Did Franks throw the ball this bad or was he better?

23 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

what do you mean the soup? he's coaching Jax, right?

He is but a vid went viral with him dancing too close to a woman last Friday at his restaurant in Columbus (why doesn’t he have one in Gainesville? Of course I’d only go to HBC’s).

Anyway, so there’s a press conference and he says a bunch of folks had him come over while he was having dinner with the grandkids and he was stupid to go,etc. but there was no contact.

THEN….

True to his namesake, someone releases a second vid from another angle and under the table his hand’s on her butt.

Urban once again is a Liar…

Oh, btw, yes there is a Mrs. Meyer…

Just now, spenser1058 said:

He is but a vid went viral with him dancing too close to a woman last Friday at his restaurant in Columbus (why doesn’t he have one in Gainesville? Of course I’d only go to HBC’s).

Anyway, so there’s a press conference and he says a bunch of folks had him come over while he was having dinner with the grandkids and he was stupid to go,etc. but there was no contact.

THEN….

True to his namesake, someone releases a second vid from another angle and under the table his hand’s on her butt.

Bianchi’s betting he also lied to the Jags and their owner. If he did, he’s predicting this won’t end well.

5 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

THEN….

there was a working theory...back in 09...what the real reason was why he left...and this vid might be corroborative of that theory...

• Like 1

so, I didn't even watch Mullen's press conferences since that UK loss.  He really screwed up.  I get that UK's defense adjusted after the first Gator drive, and I credit them for that.  Good coaching.  But what was the Gators' response the rest of the game? two FG's and a drive that died at the 9 yard line?  There is nothing Mullen could tell me right now to justify that complete and utter failure.

No, Spenser, I am not imploding over here...(well, maybe just a little...)

...might have to start rooting for UCF now...

• Like 1

I think Mullen’s a good guy but it’s darn hard to get past the Stoops’. Gene Chisik at the Touchdown Club last night says the Gators will go 9-3 (sorry, Georgia wins this year).

Remember, the HBC got fed up with UF and went pouting in DC when Gator fans declared 9-3 and 10-2 bad years. So, suck it up (and realize that’s what Kirby Smart’s mostly achieved since he replaced Mark Richt). The Gators are playing in the big boy league so it’s tough to top that most years.

Otoh, we’d love to have you come join the Knights and Charge On! (A little secret - it’s kinda fun to build something new).

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I think Mullen’s a good guy but it’s darn hard to get past the Stoops’. Gene Chisik at the Touchdown Club last night says the Gators will go 9-3 (sorry, Georgia wins this year).

Remember, the HBC got fed up with UF and went pouting in DC when Gator fans declared 9-3 and 10-2 bad years. So, suck it up (and realize that’s what Kirby Smart’s mostly achieved since he replaced Mark Richt). The Gators are playing in the big boy league so it’s tough to top that most years.

Otoh, we’d love to have you come join the Knights and Charge On! (A little secret - it’s kinda fun to build something new).

I don't think the Gators will go 9-3.  I will be shocked if they do.  I penciled in UK and Mizzou as the major trouble games this year.  UK proved me right.  UGA is a neutral site.  But, if Stoops can quell the Gator offense, I am pretty sure Kirby's Mart can.  Maybe Coach O can too...

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1

There was a whole lot of rumors surrounding Urban Meyer's departure from UF and they had his wife and him make a press conference that it was about "health reasons" to cover it up. Yeah, health reasons. . . an unhealthy affinity for substances and strange lol. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bianchi notes in The Sentinel that Urban Liar’s addition to UF’s Ring of , ummm, Honor will have to wait for yet another rehabilitation….

And, this thought for the week: ‘On Sunday against the Titans, will the winless Jaguars rally around their embattled coach and go out there and, “Win one for the gripper?!”’

UF is looking at renovating their stadium to.... remove capacity. UF has finally figured out what UCF and other schools figured out years ago: its not about capacity anymore, its about creating a comfortable experience to increase revenue per patron. UF has finally realized that paying ticket holders don't want to sit on a piece of aluminum anymore.

https://247sports.com/college/florida/Article/Florida-Gators-Football-Ben-Hill-Griffin-Stadium-renovations-set-to-move-forward-at-UF-172556110/?fbclid=IwAR2js8izwHt5LAoBxoGjsNqml81WlCIFd1huA8k1ChcVTYJX9J98xuQ8qSY

It looks like in the next few years, UF and UCF's stadium capacities are going to be closer together by probably 20,000 seats with UCF's expansion and UF's contraction, hopefully helping jrs2 realize UCF is moving up, quick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, orange87 said:

He was born and raised in Georgia and went to school at the University of Georgia.

But hasn’t lived there in years. Also, from what we’ve been able to establish, he’s about as bright as the junior senator from Alabama. Given who’s pushing him to run, that of course makes perfect sense.

Since the party of the incumbent president normally loses seats in the first mid year election and Georgia’s still very much up for grabs, one would hope the Republicans could at least come up with a competent candidate since they have an excellent chance of winning. Sadly, that’s unlikely.