Go Gators!

dcluley98

6 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Lay low the ramparts!  Sound the claxons!

• Haha 1

I know this is the Saban approach to emulate the pro model because folks in Alabama are still ticked off Georgia got a pro team in Atlanta and they didn’t.

At the rate they’re going, however, there’s soon gonna be precious little difference between the top echelon of college and the NFL. Given second-tier pro teams haven’t done well since the AFL (thanks, The Donald!), they might want to be careful what they wish for

Edited by spenser1058

On 1/21/2022 at 4:18 PM, spenser1058 said:

I know this is the Saban approach to emulate the pro model because folks in Alabama are still ticked off Georgia got a pro team in Atlanta and they didn’t.

At the rate they’re going, however, there’s soon gonna be precious little difference between the top echelon of college and the NFL. Given second-tier pro teams haven’t done well since the AFL (thanks, The Donald!), they might want to be careful what they wish for

this whole NIL thing...it allowed Prime Time to snag that #1 recruit.  Now, consider the domino effect of that for a minute...all of the schools that have big money backers will be snagging the blue chippers vs the blue chippers going to the schools that will develop then for the NFL the best.

13 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

this whole NIL thing...it allowed Prime Time to snag that #1 recruit.  Now, consider the domino effect of that for a minute...all of the schools that have big money backers will be snagging the blue chippers vs the blue chippers going to the schools that will develop then for the NFL the best.

We’ll see. Texas has long had more money than God but is only occasionally worth more than a plugged nickel on the field. Nebraska and Rutgers both went after all that B1G money and how’s that working out for them? There’s no doubt money matters but it doesn’t necessarily amount to anything if you’re wasting it like too many schools are.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 4:07 PM, jrs2 said:

Napes keeps hiring more and more coaches and staff.  Before you know it, there will be more staffers and coaches for the football team than doctors at Shands.  I mean...UF Health...right.

An article in The Atlantic said, "...there are 63 full-time staffers, plus another 77 intern spots within the master plan."... and "..."140 jobs for a football team that, counting walk-ons, consists of around 130 players." They termed it "gluttonous", but said Napier sold AD on it and is now implementing a more hospitality focused program for the betterment of the individual.

Lots of ‘grass to mow’ as Napier gets in the weeds on building a winner at Florida – The Athletic

• Like 1

There was  Tweet about the OU coach "poaching" OU players to go to USC with him.  They mentioned Napier as well.  There was discussion how the contractual arrangements with these coaches controls, and that the was the transfer portal works, there are no restrictions for players to leave with the coach that lured them there to begin with.  

My stance is that I would have preferred that Napes come to UF without having ULL's OL and RB and another player or two following him here.  I still feel that way.  His reputation was built on how successful he made ULL; but seeing that team gutted in a way is kinda like a bad karma thing.  It's the nature of the beast as they say.  Also, who is he to tell one of those players "no" when they say we want to still play for you specifically?

Anyway, the whole point to his "way" is that he wants players that want to play for him and want to be there at UF.  That's why some Gators entered the portal already; they didn't buy in to his program vision.

• Like 1

Yay.  Gator Mens BB kinda sucks.  And they gave My Quite a contract extension over the summer too.  TO his defense, our star has been injured for a few games now.  Nevertheless, this is his 7th year... the depth should be established by now to handle it.

some of the other sports for UF are doing well.  I don't want to jinx it so I won't say more.

As for FB, Napier did a good job with this haul of recruits notwithstanding the circumstances of defections and coaching changes/hires.  Some other schools ranked higher, but, you're talking about a situation with some in-state talent went elsewhere because of the poor track record of the program with in-state recruits dating back two coaching regimes since 2014-2015.  Citizen when to Miami.  UF has a lot of RB's already and that probably played into his decision a lot.  Also, the two LA kids went to LSU and A$M (that's NIL U's new designation; $ instead of &).  

Napier and staff will do a good and better job in recruiting b/c they have a system in place that will guarantee success in the process that eventually will translate in the results.  I think UGA has always gotten higher ranked recruits vs UF; that's what led to the SOS slams versus Goff in the early '90's.  A higher ranked recruit doesn't always translate to a "W."  UCF can attest to that.

But the big problem with UF since sprite was there has been the situation with the OL and recruiting OL players, and attrition due to transferring and/or injuries.  An internet analyst broke it down this week and...wow...that was at the heart of it and Muschamp was the initial culprit.  He tried to make up for it after 2013/2014 but it was too late.  Mac followed suit, and Mullen did little to fix it.  It's so funny b/c I know for a fact that when UF fielded it's 1990 and 1991 squads, the OL depth was good.  1992 took a hit when SOS tried to break in newcomers.  But, as a result of that, the 1993 squad was perhaps the deepest squad in the nation at OL depth with experience.  And that was phase 2 for SOS's UF squads...1993 on...  that staff did an excellent job managing the OL units.  Since then, it's been sh!t but for the Pouncey twins and another recruit or so.  sprite is guilty as well.

Hopefully, with the transfer of the Egyptian God Osiris Torrence he may be the cog that turns tide of the UF OL line woes for the better; him and the hiring of those NFL guys...

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 5:03 PM, spenser1058 said:

Btw, have you noticed Auburn’s doing it again? And this time, the poor coach is about to get the axe after only one year. They paid Gus $21 mill to go away (thank you, Auburn!) and it looks like they’ll be paying Harsin $18.5m. The waste boggles the mind - but War Da*n Eagle!

saw that grapevine rumor stuff.  utterly ridiculous.  

Auburn has a tough road dealing with Saban, Jimbo, LSU and fake southern accent Kelly, upstart Arkansas, Lane Train II, and Air Raid II.  And, they play Kirby's Mart annually.  

couple of weeks back, the FB recruiting class rank jumped from No.19 to No.16 when the Gators added another recruit...forgot who it was.  QB I think...

so, for a transition class that had a bunch of players defect, players decommit, Napier did a decent job of pulling things back together in such a short period of time.  more importantly, he's assembled a giant recruiting and organizational staff.  Also, they have had to do redesigns to the new football building that's still u/c to accommodate those changes...geez...imagine all of those change orders...the GC of that project must be livid.  I think with that apparatus in place, they are going to get the wheel rolling for more quality recruiting.  The big problem for UF has been the OL for 12 years or so.  While other programs have been silently landing competent players and building good depth, UF has just been lining up guys that can either pass block or run block or can't do either or both consistently.  Bad coaching, more than likely...

Anyway, Mens BB is a potential dumpster fire.  Lady Gator BB on the contrary is doing rather well.

19 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

@jrs2, you’ve been much too quiet lately. No review of what seems to have been a very successful 500 that even put heads  in all the beds (although it didn’t work quite as well since Speed Weeks got trimmed).

yeah I missed that...didn't go there this weekend; tried to avoid the detours etc...

heads in beds is always a good thing.  and if they can come up with even more events during the year that would be good...I know they got that concert thing they snagged from Jax last year...around November or December...but they need the multi-day events so that they can assure themselves of having multi-day guests...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

so...I think the Men's BB team is like 19-11 after beating Vandy on the road with an improbably comeback.  well, you live by it and die by it I guess.    If they beat UK, they should get a bid to the Big Dance.  If they don't I think they still have a chance with the SECT.  Whodathunk?

• 2 weeks later...

‘“Hard to believe that there is actually a faction of University of Florida fans on social media who think the Gators would actually consider hiring Rick Pitino as their new head coach. It just goes to show how out of touch with reality some UF basketball fans truly are. Hiring Pitino would put a bayonet through UF athletic director Scott Stricklin’s official mantra: “Competing for championships with integrity.”’ - Bianchi in The Sentinel

Sad to see too many in Hogtown didn’t learn a dadgum thing from Urban Liar or Charley Pell. The Head Ball Coach won a natty championship playing clean and with a squeaky clean QB. That’s the type of coach the Gators should aspire to in football AND hoops on and off the field/court. Heck, even Billy D managed to transcend his MBB roots and give Florida teams they could be proud of. The state’s flagship university must fight for integrity even as DeSantis stocks the school with his toadies.

Edited by spenser1058

14 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

‘“Hard to believe that there is actually a faction of University of Florida fans on social media who think the Gators would actually consider hiring Rick Pitino as their new head coach. It just goes to show how out of touch with reality some UF basketball fans truly are. Hiring Pitino would put a bayonet through UF athletic director Scott Stricklin’s official mantra: “Competing for championships with integrity.”’ - Bianchi in The Sentinel

Sad to see too many in Hogtown didn’t learn a dadgum thing from Urban Liar or Charley Pell. The Head Ball Coach won a natty championship playing clean and with a squeaky clean QB. That’s the type of coach the Gators should aspire to in football AND hoops on and off the field/court. Heck, even Billy D managed to transcend his MBB roots and give Florida teams they could be proud of. The state’s flagship university must fight for integrity even as DeSantis stocks the school with his toadies.

well, to play devilz advocate, we're now in the age of the NIL.  So, Pitino doesn't really have to recruit dirty (whatever that means) anymore; he just needs a deep pockets program to coach and recruit in...maybe Jax State and rub elbows with Primetime?

• Like 1