Go Gators!

dcluley98

On 10/8/2021 at 9:56 AM, aent said:

UF is looking at renovating their stadium to.... remove capacity. UF has finally figured out what UCF and other schools figured out years ago: its not about capacity anymore, its about creating a comfortable experience to increase revenue per patron. UF has finally realized that paying ticket holders don't want to sit on a piece of aluminum anymore.

https://247sports.com/college/florida/Article/Florida-Gators-Football-Ben-Hill-Griffin-Stadium-renovations-set-to-move-forward-at-UF-172556110/?fbclid=IwAR2js8izwHt5LAoBxoGjsNqml81WlCIFd1huA8k1ChcVTYJX9J98xuQ8qSY

It looks like in the next few years, UF and UCF's stadium capacities are going to be closer together by probably 20,000 seats with UCF's expansion and UF's contraction, hopefully helping jrs2 realize UCF is moving up, quick.

I've been preaching that they need to redo the South End Zone and make it like the North, with Club Seats, while also raising it and increasing capacity to over 90k.  Stricklin is making some sense- some.  Why spend $$$ on the student section?  

I would focus on the South.  And then maybe in the future, figure out some sort of cantilever system to build a club and box seating facility above the East stands.

With the South, the roadway adjacent to it is more or less elevated and the only way in is the ramp between the South and East.  Maybe they could build another entrance there as well like with the North...

Ed Orgeron wants to say in his Cajun drawl just how grateful he is to @jrs2for getting him off the hot seat!

Meanwhile, Cincy beat up on our banged up Knights even worse than we feared but it’s great to have an AAC team show the CFP suits show what we can do (which of course has been obvious all along; it also demonstrates the case for continuity instead of creating the atmosphere where coaches are jettisoned every other year).

Finally, @orange87’s Huskies are in the win column at long last (1-7!) by gnawing on the Whiffenpoofs. GO UCONN!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Finally, @orange87’s Huskies are in the win column at long last (1-7!) by gnawing on the Whiffenpoofs. GO UCONN!

Considering it wasn't certain they'd even win a game this season, this is a nice accomplishment. I wish Randy Edsall didn't leave. I know next to nothing about college football, and even I have heard of him and know he goes way back with UConn.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Considering it wasn't certain they'd even win a game this season, this is a nice accomplishment. I wish Randy Edsall didn't leave. I know next to nothing about college football, and even I have heard of him and know he goes way back with UConn.

Yes, his first coaching run went well. Sadly, the second was just awful. I don’t think it was all his fault- the school just never embraced football in The American after the original Big East came apart.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 3:50 PM, spenser1058 said:

Ed Orgeron wants to say in his Cajun drawl just how grateful he is to @jrs2for getting him off the hot seat!

Meanwhile, Cincy beat up on our banged up Knights even worse than we feared but it’s great to have an AAC team show the CFP suits show what we can do (which of course has been obvious all along; it also demonstrates the case for continuity instead of creating the atmosphere where coaches are jettisoned every other year).

I predicted this...might as well start referring to me as The Amazing Criswell...

Mullen waited way too long to pull AJ in the LSU game.  He is just too indecisive it is painful to watch. 

The last time I saw it at this level was in 1989 with Lex Smith and Kyle Morris and Herbert Perry.  It became a thing of the past under SOS.  And after 2002 and the departure of Rex, Leak was on the team for four years and then Tebow and then Brantley.  Even Driskel would take off and run if he didn't see a WR open.  Even in 2013 when Driskel got hurt and they threw in Murphy, he was good.  In 2014 and 2015, Treon wasn't bad. Grier in 2015 was good.  DelRio in 2016 & 2017 was ok until injury.  Franks was decisive but unpredictable in 2017.  In 2018 he was much improved.  Trask was lights out.  And now...Jones...  I think he's been a wasted slot on the depth chart for three seasons.   And the team is going to suffer because of it because he has more experience than AR.  Mullen really botched that recruiting slot.   And, the defense is trash.

• Like 1

It looks like UF is on its way to an accreditation probe after caving in to DeSantis. Does anyone under the Century Tower have a backbone left?

If they run afoul of the SACS, how long do you suppose they’ll be recognized by the AAU? It hasn’t been this bad since Charley Johns in the ‘50’s. LeRoy Collins saved the state and UF from that mess. Who will stand up to the Tallahassee idiots this time?

Go Gators? For God’s sake, this is the state’s flagship university.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-uf-professors-testify-election-law-20211101-k2s44zgtl5hrfewmoirgxzzpda-story.html

From The Sentinel

if you have never heard of Charley and wonder about that kind of nonsense rearing its ugly head again, it’s worth a look:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charley_Eugene_Johns

Edited by spenser1058

Meanwhile, over at The Swamp, I don’t know exactly how true this is but the knock on Coach Mullen from several sources is that recruiting isn’t his thing. The Knights can certainly understand that since Heup turned out to be a dud at it during his time here.

If it’s true, that’s one advantage we’re likely to have as we head to the Big XII in 2023. It turns out recruiting may be Gus’ biggest strength.

It’s going to be fun to watch during the off season.

Interesting podcast where Bianchi and Marc Daniels discuss Coach Mullen’s future, particularly after yesterday’s press conference:

https://969thegame.iheart.com/featured/beat-of-sports/content/2021-11-02-the-bridge-has-recruiting-put-dan-mullen-on-the-hot-seat/

From 96.9 The Game

Daniels doesn’t believe there’s time to swap out the media’s narrative at this point and Coach is done (FL’s lack of big games coming up to show off doesn’t help).

Bianchi thinks that if Richardson turns back into Superman, they’re golden.

Stay tuned….

And now, a fourth professor denied their academic freedom:

Fourth UF professor barred from testifying against the state in a lawsuit: report
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-fourth-professor-uf-denied-testimony-20211102-ugmq7lg3lnfw7ni2ifw4yo3nau-story.html

Is this the way a flagship university operates? It’s the 5th best public university in the country - how long’s that going to last?

When does it stop?

From the Sentinel 

“UF needs a new mascot. Ditch the Gator. Try the Lapdog.” -Scott Maxwell 

Or, “Two bits, four bits, six bits, a dollar! No staffer here better stand up and holler … unless they say exactly what the governor and his donors on the Board of Trustees want.”

”We are the boys from old Florida, And we do just what we’re told. Our profs shut their mouths; The guv’s buddies get jobs. We’re Lapdogs who don’t stray from the fold.”

As the late, great Gainesville native Tom Petty might put it:

“Well, we will back down. Yes, we will back down. You can order us around and make us look like clowns. Just know we will back down.”

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/scott-maxwell-commentary/os-prem-op-university-florida-scandals-new-mascot-scott-maxwell-20211103-j6in7q6vhfa35ebuc262cvw6wa-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

Oops! Seven years ago, UF could have hired Kirby Smart as their next Head Football Coach. Instead, they opted for… Jim McElwain. Well.

https://969thegame.iheart.com/content/2021-11-03-marc-daniels-florida-could-have-hired-kirby-smart-they-chose-mcelwain/

From Marc Daniels at 96.9 The Game

“Revenge is a dish best served cold.” Ron Zook (or someone)

All is not well in Hogtown and the Defense Coordinator and an offensive line coach (who has been with Coach Mullen for decades) have left the building.

What’s next? No one knows but a Bianchi source says the Gators’ head coach is ready to jump to the NFL if the opportunity arises:

https://969thegame.iheart.com/content/2021-11-05-will-dan-mullen-make-the-jump-to-the-nfl/

From 96.9 The Game

Meanwhile, for the first time EVER, UCF is just one spot below the Gators in current recruiting. If Coach Mullen really doesn’t like recruiting and the Gus Bus lives for it, things could get interesting in the Sunshine State. As it happens, what Florida team is the first to become bowl-eligible this year? Hint: it’s the school about 100 miles southeast of Gainesville…

• 2 weeks later...

Pete Thamel is reporting UF has targeted Billy Napier of Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns as its next head coach. Decision may come as early as this afternoon. Stay tuned…

Does anyone else find it interesting Tebow seems to have little interest in coaching? Of course, he’s not alone. The same is said to be true of Blake Bortles.

Truer words have never been spoken:

‘Speaking of Notre Dame, there is an ESPN.com report quoting a source saying that Urban Meyer is not interested in pursuing his one-time “dream job” with the Fighting Irish. I’m guessing the source is Meyer himself, who is trying to make himself look good by appearing to be loyal to his 2-9 Jaguars. Puh-leeze. The only reason Meyer isn’t interested in the Notre Dame job is because he knows Notre Dame would never hire him. Unlike many other college football programs, Notre Dame at least has a modicum of integrity and self-respect. The Golden Dome is the home of the “The Gipper,” it’s not the home of “The Groper.”’

From Bianchi at the Sentinel 

...like a lurking gator in the swamp, I am still alive...

UF is 6-6 for whatever that's worth.  playing ucf in tampa.  greg knox I assume is the interim hc. I like his energy.

Napier- he's got some specific plans he's executing for assistants and a restructuring of sorts.  no more strength coach- Napier is bringing in his own- probably for the best.

Smart vs MacElwain: if Grier didn't get suspended for 12 mos in 2015, he would have remained the starter and UF could've challenged Bama in the SECCG and won a couple of more games.  Same with 2016.  Grier may have been around in 2017 as well.  If so, Coach Mac would have been considered a Saban protege hero.  He would not have been fired in 2017 and Mullen would not have been hired in 2018.  Domino effect.  I said back then that the loss of Grier set back UF at least 3 seasons.  Mac brought in Franks and Trask, but that PED's scandal in 2015 had far reaching repercussions.

Mullen recruited Jones.  A former qb bud of mine said if you warm the bench too long, you can get worse as a player, hence Jones' knack for delayed decisionmaking.

This other UF business I am not familiar with- been out of pocket for a few weeks now.

UCF bowl- it will be a challenge for many reasons for UF.

• Like 1

I like Billy Napier and he seems like he may stick for a while if Gator Nation gives him room to run.

Speaking of which, Gator fans have gotten so out of hand the school is running through coaches as quick as a G5 team. They have got to get over that (heck, they even ran Spurrier off).

Speaking of the HBC, there was a rumor he had a hand in Mullen’s demise. Any thoughts on that?

On 12/1/2021 at 7:06 PM, spenser1058 said:

Truer words have never been spoken:

‘Speaking of Notre Dame, there is an ESPN.com report quoting a source saying that Urban Meyer is not interested in pursuing his one-time “dream job” with the Fighting Irish. I’m guessing the source is Meyer himself, who is trying to make himself look good by appearing to be loyal to his 2-9 Jaguars. Puh-leeze. The only reason Meyer isn’t interested in the Notre Dame job is because he knows Notre Dame would never hire him. Unlike many other college football programs, Notre Dame at least has a modicum of integrity and self-respect. The Golden Dome is the home of the “The Gipper,” it’s not the home of “The Groper.”’

From Bianchi at the Sentinel 

Meyer.  lol.

Wow, ND's only loss is to Cincy.

Meeshigan... I did not expect Bama to dominate UGA.  Well..maybe I expected UGA to choke like they usually do against Bama.  Maybe it's not a choke; maybe they're not that good.  Maybe they've been busy collecting all of those 5-star recruit national title ribbons and it got to their heads and they forgot that the games are still supposed to be played and the coaching still has to be done.  Dunno.  I am happy for Jimmy and the Wolverines.  This might be a pick 'em game, but too many commentators have still got red and black goggles on and can't see past all of those 5-star recruit titles UGA has racked up.

I can't believe Mullen got fired- but I can believe that he got fired b/c he did not like recruiting.

I can't believe ND's coach went to LSU.  ND was a good gig.  Kelly is entering a hornet's nest for all that $$$.

I can't believe Lincoln Riley went to USC and left Sooner Schooner.  I am stunned.  Good thing Stoopsy is there keeping the ship together for Venables.  I can see Venables going to OU to become HC.

Napier was a hero at ULL.  I know he's got a solid plan for UF, but I feel bad for ULL and what they are losing in Napier.  He's a determined guy.  Mullen was cool but I started to worry alot when de dressed up like the Dark Lord of the Sith in 2020.  In 2019, when Franks did everything in his power to throw the game vs Miami, I wonder whether Mullen was the one calling the plays.  

Wow, Mario to MIami.  This may spell recruiting trouble for UF- maybe not...Miami seems to always recruit good talent.  RIcht did and so did Diaz.  Wow, both Mullen and Diaz got fired.

As far as Cincy is concerned...I don't know why, but I am a big fan of Coach Luke; I just love that guy.

I dislike Meeshigan for all the times they beat UF- but I can't blame them for doing what you're supposed to do.  But I've always liked Jimmy since the days of Ditka; even when he ran Carrol out of the PAC.  He should've stayed at Stanford.  But, if this is a turnaround year for The Maize & Blue, then maybe his time has finally come in Ann Arbor.

On 10/16/2021 at 3:50 PM, spenser1058 said:

that LSU game...it turns out Johnson the QB is Brad's (FSU) kid.  I bet he gave him an edict since he was a kid to make sure he beats the O&B at all costs.  The kid plays lights out against UF for two years in a row now...  but they still fired Coach O...I guess beating UF doesn't have as much luster anymore in the bayou as it once did...

• Like 1